Help me find a new relaxer!

amwcah

My relaxer history is as follows. I have been self-relaxing for the past 17 years with occassional professional relaxers by beauticians. I have used Dark & Lovely and Soft & Beautiful relaxers for about 15 years. I would alternate between the two of these when my hair became resistant to one. For the past 1 1/2 years I used SE, which left my hair feeling very straight and thinnnnnnnnn!:eek: Now I'm on a 6 month relaxer stretch to thicken up my hair :D and perhaps transition:)confused:). Also, I'm on the C&G Challenge. Now, another dilemma is whether I should switch to a lye relaxer. Robin(from C&G) has peaked my curiosity. She states that lye relaxers are less drying to the hair. You know I probably have had a lye relaxer before and not known. Do all stylist use lye relaxers:confused: Also, I know alot of you rave about ORS, so I was thinking about it, Motions, or just going back to my roots of D&L or S&L.

Okay, so. Should I go with a lye or no-lye relaxer? Which relaxer?

janeemat

I just posted comments about the relaxer I use in another thread. This is what I wrote:

Den, I think with no lye you just have to step up the moisture because from what I understand they can be drying. My stylist has been using the Affirm no lye on me for over a year and my hair has body and shine, it's not dry and it straightens very well. I always used lye prior to going to him and would always get chemical burns and have a cooked scalp. I suffered through this for years thinking that's how it was suppose to be. My stylist of 15 years never suggested switching relaxers from lye to no lye. All I can say now is I don't even no the chemical is on my hair when he's relaxing me. When I switched stylist, I stepped up my game of caring for my hair and it has worked well. I learned that moisture and protein is the key to keeping relaxed hair on the head. My hair is growing and is getting thicker.

crlsweetie912

I use Mizani now after years of underprocessed hair with Motions. I love a lot of the Motions products (Moisture Plus is my STAPLE DC!) but the relaxer always left me underprocessed. I have nothing but good things to say about Mizani. I too have always heard that no-lye relaxers can be very drying.

There are a lot of people around here who rave about ORS. I am sure that they will be chiming in.

InnerSoul

No lye's get bad reps:lol: .. but I happen to use one!.. I just step up on the moisture!! I use ORS and I add 3 tablespoons of oil to it (2 EVOO+1 sweet almond oil).. I happen to like ORS but if you are wanting to use a lye relaxer.. ORS makes a lye relaxer as well. After my last relaxer soft and beautiful(no lye) it was not my favorite... so I tried ORS once and I am not going back to any other relaxer. Lye just makes my hair feel limp. So I am a no-lye user;) b/c I like the thickness that it brings...however this is just my opinion. Also I hear phyto relaxer is great and it's also a no lye... maybe the phyto users will post here shortly about their reviews.

tryingto

my stylist used mizani on me, for 2 years, and it left my hair very thin, however I did like the shine, but I am more inclined to think that she was overprocessing, my hair, so the relaxer proberly would not have mattered, it was the stylist,I was getting touchups every 6 weeks, in any event I started using ors no lye, and doing touchups every 18 weeks or longer, underprocessing it instead, and I see a hugh differance in my hair, in fact in my avatar is my 2nd time with ors, the signature photo is with 1 ors, the differance I see, will make me to continue with the ors

blaqbarb

I've been using Soft & Beautiful for years and I love it. The only switch I made was from the regular to the organic. They both work the same for me...I just like the thought of the organic relaxer being more sensative with my hair and scalp.

I had my old stylist use Mizani's relaxer on me and I didn't like it at all. It caused my hair texture to change (the new growth was extremely hard and dry).

Radianthealth

Hi Amwcah,

I use Silk Elements Lye relaxer regular diluted with olive oil. It helps me to texturize, but everyone isn't a fan of this relaxer the biggest complaint that I have heard is that the hair reverts, but I like to have texture in my hair so that doesn't bother me.

Good Luck!:)

sugaplum

Star Shooter
trimbride said:
Hi Amwcah,

I use Silk Elements Lye relaxer regular diluted with olive oil. It helps me to texturize, but everyone isn't a fan of this relaxer the biggest complaint that I have heard is that the hair reverts, but I like to have texture in my hair so that doesn't bother me.

Good Luck!:)

Yes I too am a fan of Silk Elements. I use the Mild Relaxer. I stopped using no-lye because it made my scalp dry and my scalp kept dandruff. :nono: I use lye relaxer and I will go back.

HoneyDew

PROFECTIV!!

It is a bit costly, but worth it. Check the ingredients of the cream. Yummy ingredients like Hydrolyzed Silk, Soy, vegtable and wheat proteins, shea butter, olive oil and more.

tricie

ITA with the ladies that use lye relaxers, in particular, Mizani; I use the Rhelaxer and my hair bounced back from looking lifeless and dry when I was using no-lye. I remember back in the day my beautician used Hawaiian Silky on my hair (not sure which formula), and my hair grew very nicely!HTH!

Legend

Trichological Alchemist
I used Affirm for years and would recommend it to anyone. But, my stylist recently retired and I decided to try something different. So, I tried PhytoSpecific Index II, and I must admit it was a very pleasant experience, and my hair still feels excellent even now: full, surprisingly bouncy, and satiny.

The relaxer had hardly any smell while it was applied until it was shampooed, then the smell was a bit strong but still not too bad. But, the whole process felt like a conditioning treatment! :yep: There was absolutely NO irritation at all, which is amazing. I will definitely be sticking with PhytoSpecific for now.

The only caveat may be the price. Even my new stylist was shocked. :lol: But, I only have my hair retouched 2 to 4 times a year, so it’s worth it to me because it is a quality product. But someone who relaxes more often would definitely feel the "Phyto Pinch."

HTH! :)

Last edited:

amwcah

Okay, so Phyto, Mizani, Profectiv, ORS, S&B organic...Mmmm(thinking vigorously)! Off to do some research on these relaxers.;)

sassyhair

Why not try a low ph relaxer....optimum make a lye low ph relaxer I think it has the word mineral in the title somewhere but I cant remember. My stylist used this relaxer when she relaxer my fully natural hair in 2005. My hair was soft all the way to the tips and not processed too str8. I strayed away to try silk elements but need to go back.

newflowers

I am also a Phyto user, and, though I sometimes feel the "Phyto Pinch," I use it anyway. Lye or no-lye, it was not until I began using PhtyoSpecific Index I that I managed evenly processed hair with no reverting, no excessive shedding, little to no breakage with shine and bounce.

Every now and then, that Phyto Pinch (retouching every 8 weeks) would compel me to try something less expensive, and I paid for it in poor results. After this last time (Dec), I've learned my lesson. So often, I think I cannot spend so much on me because this kid needs that and that kid needs something else; I should save more; I always have a reason to put myself last. From now on, I will use quality products that work on my hair - it is my gift to me. Phyto relaxer is expensive at $60.00 per kit, but I am worth the expense.

BrooklynSouth

I've switched to Silk Elements regular lye and I really like it after 2 touch-ups. I like the look and the feel after years of Optimum and Motions which cause serious :mad:, breakage and red hair. I do prefer the Silk Elements lye. I always wear French twists, and rolls these days, rarely comb..I've seen about an inch of growth {no tape measure used} from October and much weightier hair. The reversion thing just seems impossible to me for those who report this.