Help! my hair is growing strangely...

I got an almost blunt shoulder length cut in late January and the tail end of my hair is at armpit length now but the rest are still at shoulder length or shorter. What is going on? What can I do to make my hair grow along nicely again? (besides cutting...)

I have attached the visuals for those who dont feel like going ALL the way to my album.....
(i know the feeling! hehe)

Attachments

• tail backshot apr 14th.jpg
    tail backshot apr 14th.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 104
  • back shot apr14th.jpg
    back shot apr14th.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 93

meia

carribean_dream said:
I got an almost blunt shoulder length cut in late January and the tail end of my hair is at armpit length now but the rest are still at shoulder length or shorter. What is going on? What can I do to make my hair grow along nicely again? (besides cutting...)

I have attached the visuals for those who dont feel like going ALL the way to my album.....
(i know the feeling! hehe)

it happens to a lot of us but i still dont know why..my hair has never been even no matter how many chops, cuts, whatever...one side is always longer for some reason..lol not that i'm complaining because i count the inches of my hair down to the very last strand!

i think you just have to give your hair some time to get it together...if what you show in the pictures is *your* goal length then chop the excess away and hope it doesn't happen again...but honestly, if i were you (and i am in this case lol cos my hair is all types of crazy!:lol: ) i'd continue to let it grow until you were closer to *your* goal length than chop for even appearance...

or...you could get one of those sexy v-cuts for the middle ends of your hair or a u-shaped cut...that way it won't feel as different to you..but in any case i think your hair looks beautiful!!

Isis

It may even out all by itself. This happens to a lot of us. I know my hair grows "tails" , then the other parts will catch up. This repeats like a cycle.

Mestiza

Some of my hair grows faster than the rest. Maybe, that's the case for you, too. At any rate (no pun intended :lol:), your hair is pretty, carribean_dream! :rosebud:

Last edited:

Mestiza

Isis said:
It may even out all by itself. This happens to a lot of us. I know my hair grows "tails" , then the other parts will catch up. This repeats like a cycle.

Thanks for that info, Isis! :wink2:

I've been cutting my hair in an effort to keep it even, and failing! Maybe, I should leave it alone.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I have know idea, but i'm happy to see that your hair is growwing back ;) . what have you been doing differently? Cowing or DC more often or have you just been leaving it alone? I wouldn't cut it though, I would just let it grow in layered.

carolina_belle

I would just let it grow. It looks very healthy. My hair grows in a v-shape so I occasionally round it out in a u-shape. I don't obsess about it anymore.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I think the v-shape is so cute. I wish my hair grew like that. Instead mine always grows longer on my right side :( I'm glad I'm not the only one though. I've given up trying to keep it completely even.

ekomba

Pokahontas said:
I think the v-shape is so cute. I wish my hair grew like that. Instead mine always grows longer on my right side :( I'm glad I'm not the only one though. I've given up trying to keep it completely even.

Same thing with me Pokahontas my hair grows longer on my right side:eek: :mad: but i do notice the back and sides grow longer than the crown and front.

The ladies gave good advice dont cut and just wait it out till it catch up to the length that you want then you can trim for maintenance when you reach your desired length on the shorter parts. i havent trim yet since i started my journey:p ;)

wadadligyal

Your hair is really beautiful and healthy don't cut just let the side catch up. It looks really good to me that v shape is lovely

Legend

Trichological Alchemist
My hair also grows in an unusual shape. I have three very distinct layers in my hair: the back is usually at least 4- to 6-inches longer than the sides, and the front is 4- 6-inches shorter than the sides. They are so distinctive, every thinks I get it cut that way! I get little "tails" all-over, to boot. It's just a natural thing.

Yep, me too, the right side grows much faster, so I have a lopsided V in the back. I have noticed that the left side has suddenly sprung into action with a recent growth spurt! It willcome so don't sweat.
I plan to do as suggested on this thread... let it grow until I reach the desired length then even it out. I'm just impressed that I am achieving any length- this is a first for me. So, lopsided or not, I'm still smiling- and you should too- your hair is beautiful!!

meia said:
it happens to a lot of us but i still dont know why..my hair has never been even no matter how many chops, cuts, whatever...one side is always longer for some reason..lol not that i'm complaining because i count the inches of my hair down to the very last strand!

i think you just have to give your hair some time to get it together...if what you show in the pictures is *your* goal length then chop the excess away and hope it doesn't happen again...but honestly, if i were you (and i am in this case lol cos my hair is all types of crazy!:lol: ) i'd continue to let it grow until you were closer to *your* goal length than chop for even appearance...

or...you could get one of those sexy v-cuts for the middle ends of your hair or a u-shaped cut...that way it won't feel as different to you..but in any case i think your hair looks beautiful!!

Guys, what does a "U- cut" look like?

Mestiza said:
Some of my hair grows faster than the rest. Maybe, that's the case for you, too. At any rate (no pun intended :lol:), your hair is pretty, carribean_dream! :rosebud:

Aww thank you! (and everyone else) I didn't want to wear my hair out because I thought it looked bad, but maybe I will...

BeautifulWideEyes said:
I have know idea, but i'm happy to see that your hair is growwing back ;) . what have you been doing differently? Cowing or DC more often or have you just been leaving it alone? I wouldn't cut it though, I would just let it grow in layered.

Haha, You know about that salon cut mishap I had back in January! Thanks for your encouragement. I haven't given up and I just decided to straighten every two months and moisturize with individual braids, twists, or twistouts in between. Trying MY BEST to keep it simple!

meia

hi! a u-shaped cut is where the ends are rounded gradually!

this is the best picture i could find but notice the ends starting from left and going to right, its snipped and looks similar to a U- the longest hair is in the middle but it all looks uniform. this is generally what the end result looks like- very polished, simple, and plain

Last edited:
meia said:
hi! a u-shaped cut is where the ends are rounded gradually!

this is the best picture i could find but notice the ends starting from left and going to right, its snipped and looks similar to a U- the longest hair is in the middle but it all looks uniform. this is generally what the end result looks like- very polished, simple, and plain

Thanks meia! a U cut looks really nice..

divya

Don't worry, it's not abnormal. It happens to plenty of us. You're hair looks very nice. If it really bothers you, then do the V-cut. :)