HELP!!! My Nape is Suffering!!!

SmilingElephant

Okay so i took out my braids the other nite and last nite after i washed out the braidout and after detangling...i noticed that when i put my hair up in a bun...my nape has suffered breakage!!!:blush:

I've been having problems with matting in my nape area lately and i try to be gentle as possible when detangling that area....i don't know what to do:crying3:

newbeginnings2010

This happened to be last month too. The stylist didn't braid tight, but she did put in almost 13 packs of hair because she said I had too much hair. The weight ripped out parts of my hair. I've been soaking my nape in conditioner (Silicon Mix), splitting it into two sections, and GENTLY detangling it. TLC is the only fix. HTH :bighug:

SmilingElephant

This happened to be last month too. The stylist didn't braid tight, but she did put in almost 13 packs of hair because she said I had too much hair. The weight ripped out parts of my hair. I've been soaking my nape in conditioner (Silicon Mix), splitting it into two sections, and GENTLY detangling it. TLC is the only fix. HTH :bighug:

I'm gonna try this......and my sister just gave me some advice...she said wash my hair in sections....i've done that before but it takes sooooooooooooo long!!!!!.....so maybe i have to section off my nape and the rest of my hair when washing it:ohwell::perplexed:sad:

LaFemmeNaturelle

I dont think you HAVE to wash in sections but you should apply your DC and detangle in sections with the conditioner still in. I have to give up washing in sections cause it takes way too long and it doesnt make detangling easier lol 2 sections is my max.

Maybe you should stay away from buns as well or do really nice buns. Maybe braidouts or twistouts will be a good style so you wont have tension in the nape area or the half up half down.

SmilingElephant

What if i start wearing double bun styles? Vertically though....so that way i can still rock my buns but my nape won't suffer from tension?....does that sound good?

newbeginnings2010

I dont think you HAVE to wash in sections but you should apply your DC and detangle in sections with the conditioner still in. I have to give up washing in sections cause it takes way too long and it doesnt make detangling easier lol 2 sections is my max.

Maybe you should stay away from buns as well or do really nice buns. Maybe braidouts or twistouts will be a good style so you wont have tension in the nape area or the half up half down.

I agree with the bolded.

LaFemmeNaturelle

Mmmm if you like it I love it lol I'm not exactly sure what you mean but as long as you feel you aren't applying to much tension to your nape with that style then go for it and let us know if your situation improves!

bebezazueta

I can't really advise you on how to wash all that pretty hair but I did have severe breakage in my nape area prior to my HHJ and castor oil is bringing it back to life. I apply it only to the problem area since it's so thick and it thickened it up nicely and it's catching up to the other hair. The castor oil is also strengthening that area cause I just got it caught in my ring and no hairs were sacrificed! LOL!

TLC1020

Thread right on time :grin::grin::grin:

Currently I am in braids and have been for 3 months, right now I am 4 1/2 months post relaxer and taking them out in 2 weeks at 5 months post. :grin::grin:

I was told when I take them out to remove the braid, detangle the hair then add conditioner to loosen up the hair a bit..

brucebettye

I cannot remeber where I heard this but, this was a good idea when you are having problems with your nape and you bun. She would seperate her nape from the rest of her hair then put all the seperated hair in a bun. Then she would put her nape up and bobby pin it under the bun. She said it was less tension on her nape and she could still wear her bun. ( I hope this makes sense) Just be gentle to that area and baby it.

mzsophisticated26

I am having problems with my nape since trying to transition. It has broken off alot and now I can even wear buns. I never had problems with my nape while wearing wigs

SmilingElephant

Thanks ladies for all your help!:yep:

Today when i was doing my hair i seperated my nape from the rest of my hair....now....its not HORRIBLE....but i can see i do need to really baby it....so i GENTLY detangled it...i still had some knots but i was able to safely untangle them:D...phew!!!...i TOOK MY TIME and moisturized and sealed ALL of my hair....i see now this is a MUST:yep:

But i'm gonna get back to my JBCO....its just that its too hot for that thick oil on me right now....i already have bee mine serum runnin in my eye when i'm outside!!:laugh:
And i'm gonna take my time to deep condition my nape every single time!