Help! my scarf is eating my nape!

moriahar

I'm still perfecting my regimen for healthy hair.
Over the years, I've noticed that my hair grows ok in the front and sides but there is always major breakage in the back. Even when I would get my hair professionally, the back was always my problem child!
I followed all of my stylists instruction for hair care. While my front and sides thrived, the back remained prone to damage

I've been doing my hair at home for the past 3 years. A few months back I stopped tieing my hair in a scarf and only slept on a satin pillow case. I notice that my nape area was finally beginning grow with out breakage. I returned to wrapping my hair at night in a satin scarf. Then I noticed that the breakage came back. I also noticed that while I am sleep my scarf rides up leaving my nape exposed. This is EXACTLY where the serious breakage is occurring.

I've tried wearing a satin bonnet instead of wearing a scarf. I did see an improvement as far as breakage goes, but my wrap had no shape.

I'm torn, I really like wearing my hair in a wrap, but I hate that my nighttime routine is eating away at my nape.
Is this happening to any one else?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

UGQueen

i noticed this in my college roomate last semester too. but her problem was becaue of the way she tied her scarf.

let me ellaborate a little when her scarf crosssed over in her nape she experiences breakage whereas when it crossed over in the front by her forehead her nape started to grow back. because then her scarf laid lat on her nape area. she bought a blam and tied her scarf the other way religously and we noticed a difference. (idk if that makes sense)

how do u tie yours?
and have you considered using a satin cap instead these are tighter with stretch and your wrap holds very well (kinda like a wig cap but bigger and its satin i find that these dont slip off either). HTH

Last edited:

moriahar

I apply my scarf with the smooth, flat edge in back and I tie it in the front.

Do you remember the name of the balm?

Dommo

Maybe you should try tying the scarf looser or wearing a bonnet over a satin cap that you can find locally at a bss or drug store so that the wrap will stay tight...And are you using a 100% silk or satin scarf. I prefer silk

Soliel185

If you're relaxed it might not just be your scarf causing the problem.

When I was relaxed my nape was always my problem area. It was stiff, it never straightened right, and it was dry and breaking even while the rest of my hair flourished. Well, this whole time I thought it was under-processed, and when either I or a pro did my relaxer they always started at the nape - so that area had relaxer on it the longest.

Turns out, my nape is actually the softest texture on my head next to my edges. Once I started my relaxer at the crown (where my NG was thickest and most resistant) my nape started to improve dramatically. It needed very little time and smoothing to get straight, but I'd been consistently over-processing it the whole time.

moriahar

If you're relaxed it might not just be your scarf causing the problem.

When I was relaxed my nape was always my problem area. It was stiff, it never straightened right, and it was dry and breaking even while the rest of my hair flourished. Well, this whole time I thought it was under-processed, and when either I or a pro did my relaxer they always started at the nape - so that area had relaxer on it the longest.

Turns out, my nape is actually the softest texture on my head next to my edges. Once I started my relaxer at the crown (where my NG was thickest and most resistant) my nape started to improve dramatically. It needed very little time and smoothing to get straight, but I'd been consistently over-processing it the whole time.

I will try this the next time I relax, but I only relax maybe 3 or 4 times a year at most.
Right now I'm stretching as long as I can manage. Right now I'm on week 13. I'm sure I can hold off relaxing for at least another 3 weeks.

Buttercreme

Maybe you should try tying the scarf looser or wearing a bonnet over a satin cap that you can find locally at a bss or drug store so that the wrap will stay tight...And are you using a 100% silk or satin scarf. I prefer silk

ITA. This is how I do me and DD.

We use 100% silk scarfs, then put our satin bonnetts over it. Not only are our napes longer then ever, our moisture levels are on point.

BrooklynSouth

I use a clean, pure silk scarf at night on top of a satin pillowcase. I have many to change up. I also use a little bit of DAX SULPHUR pomade with MSM/ shea butter or other oils to the circumference of my hair. I have no edges hair loss problems.