HELP: MY SIS HAS A SEVERELY ITCHY SCALP & I DON'T KNOW HOW TO HELP HER...

IMFOCSD

Hi ladies how are you today? I...well actually my lil sis has been having a major issue with her badly itchy scalp. Her and my mom have tried everything under the sun but nothing works. I feel bad for her because her hair is breaking and she can't wear any styles because she is constantly scratching until her scalp is sore. I really wanted the advice from my LHCF ladies before I tell her she may have to see a dermatologist (I think she has seen a derm b4). I want to ask you ladies before I send her or take her to someone who is mainly in the business for money (we all truly know how that is) they say they want to help but money is always #1.

please help
sweetcoco

Bigghair

She does need to go to the doctor, however in the meantime maybe she could try something sulfur in it. It always keeps my scalp from itching.

IMFOCSD

Seabreeze is really good for itchy scalp. I think it has alcohol in it though.

Thanks trini_rican,

I feel a lil slow right now but it's cool, what is seabreeze? :look: I am interested and am willing to try anything that will help.

sweetcoco

IMFOCSD

She does need to go to the doctor, however in the meantime maybe she could try something sulfur in it. It always keeps my scalp from itching.

Thanks Bigghair,

I was just informed that my mom has no insurance and dermatologists are very expensive. She also said she has taken her to see a derm before but the medication/shampoo they gave her did not help. I know I can count on yall to help me out thats why I want to see what kind of advice you ladies can give me.

I am willing to try any homemade remedies also.

sweetcoco

IMFOCSD

I had this: Sulfur 8 and flaxseed Oil gelcaps 3x a day worked wonders.

Thanks SmartyPants,

I think she tried sulfur 8 and it did nothing but flaxseed oil gelcaps is something new. Should she take these by mouth or open up the capsule and add to the sulfur 8 (hope this makes sense)?

OnceUponAtime

For quick relief, use a light oil and add some tea tree oil. I found this board looking for relief from a severely itchy scalp (and breaking hair advice). Just this week I had a recurrance and immediately put this on covered my hair with a satin scarf and kept it on overnight. I'm completely relieved as I post this.

I purchased a pharmaceutical grade of tea tree oil from WalMart for about $3.

OnceUponAtime

For quick relief, use a light oil and add some tea tree oil. I found this board looking for relief from a severely itchy scalp (and breaking hair advice). Just this week I had a recurrance and immediately put this on covered my hair with a satin scarf and kept it on overnight. I'm completely relieved as I post this.

I purchased a pharmaceutical grade of tea tree oil from WalMart for about $3.

I should also warn that the smell isn't the greatest. "Medicine-y", but it fades.

SilverSurfer

You can try to clean her scalp with either or a combo of these:
Witch Hazel
Tea Tree oil
Neem Oil
Miconzole Nitrate

kiesha8185

I've heard that ACV helps with flaky/itchy scalp. Mix 1 gallon of distilled water with 1/2 cup of ACV and use it as a rinse before she deep conditions.

IntoMyhair

What stopped my itching was head and shoulders and acv rinsing

Btw my daughters hair was itching 5 times worser than my head. It was so bad i thought she had lice. I gave her a treatment and everything but that was not the problem. Thank god.
I did 1 treatment of head and shoulders and a acv rinse or her. Her itching calmed down a lot. I just did just the head and shoulders poo and a conditioner than the acv rinse. I kept it simply that day.
Than for a few washs a i did acv final rinses or her.

i also bought a hair oil for her scalp it's called optimum oil therapy *dry scalp leave in treatment* i think i only used this twice

but acv rinses i believe did the trick for both of us

My head was so bad i would have dry white itchy patchs and it was only in the back of my head in the nape area

HTH

gymfreak336

As a chronic itchy scalp sufferer I feel her pain.

First off, I would suggest her making some dietary changes. I have seen a drastic improvment with eating more fruit and vegetables for more fiber. I have also started taking probiotics more often and it is helping. Flaxseed oil taken everyday will help alot too. I take a tablespoon everyday.

Another possible cause could be yeast. I know you might be thinking yeast?? WTH? :lol: but when the body has a build up of yeast, one of the signs is scalp issues. I always thought that if I had a yeast problem, then I would just get a yeast infection but for some people, signs of too much show in skin and scalp issues....This happens to dogs too. Cutting back on sugar and increasing fiber and water helps.

Topically, have her try Norizol(sp?) shampoo...It has an anti fungal agent in it. I also have been using elasta qp scalp stimulating shampoo with good results too.

Another thing that has helped my scalp topically has been henna and alma. Now both made my hair a little too hard for my liking but they did MIRACLES for my scalp. Maybe she could try using it just on her scalp.

I am currently using some sulfur 8 on my scalp to help keep the itchies at bay. For me, the key has been trying to settle them down when washing and then working on keeping them at bay until my next wash.

The other suggestions of Neem oil, Tea Tree oil, MN cream and such are all wonderful ideas as well.

CaliJen

Well, all the suggestions are great.... what shampoos or oils do you have, maybe Nizoral or T-gel shampoo also , Sea Breeze or anything with Tea Tree oil in it... also if it is that bad the itchies trial of Benadryl liquid or tablets depending on her weight (Caution it will make her drowsy)

Also KeraCare dry/itch shampoo was good when I had this.... Also she does not have to see a Derm any general or family pracitioner should do we all have the same background for treating scalp pruritus or dermatitis of scalp ...

also make sure she is not using something to her hair that she may be allergic to or dry scalp or maybe her hair is growing, but she should see someone if the problem persists.... HTH

IMFOCSD

See, I knew I could depend on my LHCF sistas...dermatologist what....any way thanks ladies all of your advice is the bomb!

HWAY

I used Nizoral shampoo and MTG as a hair oil. Increasing water intake and fish oil capsules helped greatly.

newflowers

I used to have severe eczema and dematitis that produced horrible itchy and giant flakes in the scalp. It was just nasty and super embarrassing. I used Nizoral shampoo to wash (which can be a bit drying to hair) but it releived the scalp flakes and helped with the itching. After shampooing, I had to put conditioner ONLY on my hair - not on the scalp. This was really important. So the process -

make sure hair is completely detangled and apply shampoo to the scalp using a bottle with an applicator tip. Gently massage scalp, let set a few minutes and rinse. Be careful to not tangle the hair.

Next, I applied tea tree and lavender essential oils straight on the scalp and the emu oil which helps the eo's penetrte more deeply. Again, small bottles with applicator tips help make this process fast and easy.

Next, apply conditioner to hair only.

Wait about 10ish minutes.

Rinse everything really well.

Finally, apply a mix of the essential oils with emu only to the scalp. Make sure whatever products go on the hair do not go on the scalp until the condition improves. Chemicals in (IMO) many shampoos and conditioners will make dematitis worse.

She probably does need to see a doctor to rule out a more serious problem, because these treatments (mine and others) are only topical and will not focus on any underlying issues.

She needs to drink lots and lots of water. Avoid sugar if possible, avoid fried foods, avoid as much white flour as possible. Eat yougart with active yeast cultures (check the label) and lots of fruits and veggies. And did I mention the water? Has she considered doing a cleanse? The Master Cleanse is almost easy after the first three days. Flaxseed and fish oils to increase her intake of EFAs would also be beneficial.

I feel for her - when I had this problem, it was so horrible. I would scratch until I made my scalp bleed. Ewww.

Ultimately, a diet change and a few changes and products in how she cares for her hair will help.

IMFOCSD

I used to have severe eczema and dematitis that produced horrible itchy and giant flakes in the scalp. It was just nasty and super embarrassing. I used Nizoral shampoo to wash (which can be a bit drying to hair) but it releived the scalp flakes and helped with the itching. After shampooing, I had to put conditioner ONLY on my hair - not on the scalp. This was really important. So the process -

make sure hair is completely detangled and apply shampoo to the scalp using a bottle with an applicator tip. Gently massage scalp, let set a few minutes and rinse. Be careful to not tangle the hair.

Next, I applied tea tree and lavender essential oils straight on the scalp and the emu oil which helps the eo's penetrte more deeply. Again, small bottles with applicator tips help make this process fast and easy.

Next, apply conditioner to hair only.

Wait about 10ish minutes.

Rinse everything really well.

Finally, apply a mix of the essential oils with emu only to the scalp. Make sure whatever products go on the hair do not go on the scalp until the condition improves. Chemicals in (IMO) many shampoos and conditioners will make dematitis worse.

She probably does need to see a doctor to rule out a more serious problem, because these treatments (mine and others) are only topical and will not focus on any underlying issues.

She needs to drink lots and lots of water. Avoid sugar if possible, avoid fried foods, avoid as much white flour as possible. Eat yougart with active yeast cultures (check the label) and lots of fruits and veggies. And did I mention the water? Has she considered doing a cleanse? The Master Cleanse is almost easy after the first three days. Flaxseed and fish oils to increase her intake of EFAs would also be beneficial.

I feel for her - when I had this problem, it was so horrible. I would scratch until I made my scalp bleed. Ewww.

Ultimately, a diet change and a few changes and products in how she cares for her hair will help.

Thank you newflowers,

this is very informative!

curlyj

I was just dealing with this...a few days ago. I've always been a bit tender headed but not prinkly, itchy, burning scalp like the past few days along with shedding(A WHOLE LOT)....

After a ton of research i found the following:

many conditioners and shampoos that treats dry itchy scalp really just further irritates the scalp.

with the use of essential oils/ and at-home remedies you can not only treat the symtoms but get rid of the problem.

Use the following oils:
lavender
coconut oil
clary sage
myrrh
rose
tea tree
neem
german chamomile
evening primrose

recipe for dry itchy scalp:
1 tsp of neem oil
7 drops of teatree oil
10 drops of rosemary
10 drops of lavender
with 3 drops of EVOO or coconut oil or almond(just choose one)
Rub into scalp, leave for 10 mins or longer rinse...

For quick relief lavender and coconut oil warmed and a quick head mesage is wonderful.

You will need to figure out what brings this on for your sister. A detox may be neccessary...Choose youe cleanser carefully, eat foods high in vit...Hope this helps!
excuse the typos...

KAT25

MN put directly on scalp works GREAT!!!!!!!
or you can mix the MN with some Africa's Best oil.

DivaRox

MN put directly on scalp works GREAT!!!!!!!
or you can mix the MN with some Africa's Best oil.

First, your three year old is adorable!

Second-:yep:I started using the MN for growth and the side effect was no more itchy, scratchy scalp with nasty flakes. I completely empathize with her and figured I would just deal with that forever.

My problem was a combination of things-I have seb. dermatitis and the two derms I saw both stated that yeast could be a factor. If she's not open to using this form of anti fungal, any one of the others that the ladies mentioned work well and of course are natural sources, i.e. the tea tree oil, sulfur and neem.

An inexpensive sulfur solution would be to go to a local pharmacy and get sulphur of flowers, and add nourishing oils. I do a homemade solution(10%) with sulfur and beneficial oils that have already been mentioned, namely olive oil, jojoba(will help normalize the sebum levels)and castor oil. I think that the petroleum in the sulfur 8 *may* further contribute to the problem by clogging her pores. The Africa's Best oil that Kat mentioned has a wonderul combo of oils that would make the mix even simpler. I found that at Family dollar for about $2.

bebezazueta

Please be careful! I suffered with dandruff and itchy scalp ALL my life until I started my HHJ 5 months ago! I went to a dermatologists about 10 years and she prescribed that Nizoral shampoo which had my hair coming out in clumps. I also tried every dandruff shampoo including a tea tree oil one that seemed to work for everyone else but not me, again I had hair loss and still had dandruff. I found out that I have a a very sensitive scalp and my remedy was simple. I eliminated ALL SULFATES which were in every shampoo I've every used. I also oiled my scalp with EVOO to help repair the damage the sulfates did to my scalp. I haven't had a flake since and my scalp is so healthy and growing out luscious hair like never before!

There are alternate ways to cleanse the hair and scalp, I prefer African black soap for regular cleansing and I use a baking soda/water mix for clarifying. Because of the high pH of baking soda, I dilute it and follow with Roux Porosity Control to bring the pH of my hair and scalp down.

Results so far are AMAZING!

HHG!

The first thing that comes to mind is fixing the diet and ACV on the scalp. Gently rub it into the scalp and leave it on for half an hour then shampoo or rinse out. I agree it's best to stay away from as many chemicals as possible. Go natural for a bit, and definitely cut out the stuff you know you shouldn't eat, like sugar.
Good luck

beana

Another vote for ACV rinses... This is really the ONLY thing that has helped. I do my ACV rinse after shampooing and apply my conditioner right over it.

TwistNMx

IF you are desperate, neem oil worked wonders for me twice, but the smell makes me want to leave the body!! This time right now I have itchy scalp again. Not sure if it's a growth spirt, but I also remember that henna worked great for me and I may have to resort to that. HTH