Help! My Twists Look Like Blunts (Pics)

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
I spent all weekend watching youtube tutorials on how to do Havana Twists. I went to the BSS and bought one pack of kinky hair to practice with before putting money on several packs of fingercomber hair.

My practice Havana twists were a giant embarrassing non picture worthy fail. What I was surprised about is that when I tried to make regular sized twists using the kinky hair, they looked more like ropes than twists.

And despite practically bathing them in ecostyler gel, they are fuzzy as all get out. The one on the left is 1 strip of kinky hair and the right is 2 strips.

What am I doing wrong?:cry::cry2::crying3::cry4:

PinkPeony

no help here ,I never used kinky hair to do twists and my hair is always frizzy in twists?braids but..

It looks cute!!!

IrrationalThoughts

Did you cut the hair in half or fluff out the hair? I found that if I did more than 2 strands of hair, cut the hair or fluff it out it was a frizzy mess. The twists done with 1 unmolested strand were wonderful.

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
lmaooo @ the title lol

they look fine! but if you are really worried, have you tried some pomade or wax? I think you need something that isn't water based

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Did you cut the hair in half or fluff out the hair? I found that if I did more than 2 strands of hair, cut the hair or fluff it out it was a frizzy mess. The twists done with 1 unmolested strand were wonderful.
The hair came on a weft where you just pull the individual pieces off. There are 3-4 pieces in each rubber band. The length you see in the pictures upthread is 1 strand folded in half.

I did fluff them out cuz that's what the havana twist tutorials suggested. I will try them unfluffed.

Thanks!

TamedTresses

Did you fluff the hair first or did you just grab a section of the hair and start twisting? I watched a tutorial the other day and the girl fluffed the hair by gently separating it down the length of the hair.

Evolving78

Nonie can help. i think it is the way you are twisting. Nonie showed me several years ago how to twist where they look like smooth ropes and last longer. i was trying to put in some kinky twists too. she should be a video on how to, plus pics.

Nonie

Nonie can help. i think it is the way you are twisting. Nonie showed me several years ago how to twist where they look like smooth ropes and last longer. i was trying to put in some kinky twists too. she should be a video on how to, plus pics.

shortdub78 thanks for giving me props but I have never twisted with adding hair. Mook's hair is the pro in that. She uses the same twirl before twisting method but adds hair for kinky twists. I'll see if I can find her vid.

ETA: shortdub78 Here's the thread where Mook's Hair shared her tutorial: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=331343

Last edited:

Evolving78

shortdub78 thanks for thinking so highly of me but I have never twisted with adding hair. Mook's hair is the pro in that. She uses the same twirl before twisting method but adds hair for kinky twists. I'll see if I can find her vid.

ETA: shortdub78 Here's the thread where Mook's Hair shared her tutorial: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=331343

yeah i remember. you showed me how to with twist holding two strands twirling them and twist to together!:yep:

Saga

The Generous Queen
Lol, you're not supposed to fluff marely braid hair. It'll come out raggedy. Finger comber hair and marley braid hair are two different textures altogether.

When I used to do kinky twists I wouldn't fluff or split the little sections, I just used them as-is and they came out fine.

TamedTresses

Lol, you're not supposed to fluff marely braid hair. It'll come out raggedy. Finger comber hair and marley braid hair are two different textures altogether.

When I used to do kinky twists I wouldn't fluff or split the little sections, I just used them as-is and they came out fine.

OP was trying to do Havana twists, not kinky twists. The reason why some people "fluff" it is because, as you stated, the finger comber hair is not the same texture as the marley hair.

Nonie

[USER=188804]TamedTresses[/USER];18260405 said:
OP was trying to do Havana twists, not kinky twists. The reason why some people "fluff" it is because, as you stated, the finger comber hair is not the same texture as the marley hair.

But what is the difference? Size? Wouldn't the principle for hair attachment be the same?

NoTweaks

Ok, I'm confused. This is going to be my next protective style and I've looked at a bunch of YT videos and one of them mentioned the fingercomber and the brand of marley hair she used was the same texture. I'm going to a braider b/c I'm scared to do myself. I'm waiting for my fingercomber hair to ship which is taking forever.

TamedTresses

But what is the difference? Size? Wouldn't the principle for hair attachment be the same?

Nonie There are several differences including the size of the twist, the way the hair is twisted, the hair used and the appearance of the twists. Havana twists are large, puffy twists. Kinky twists are smaller, tighter twists and the hair is twirled while being twisted to create that look. Havana hair is puffy while Marley hair typically has tighter coils; different hair, different outcomes.

Here is another tutorial with the Marley hair being fluffed/separated prior to doing Havana twists: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE_5tf0wnvE

Marley hair:

Kinky twists:

Finger Comber hair:

Havana twists:

Nonie

@TamedTresses, I just watched the video and I honestly don't see a difference except in size. In the video she braids the hair to attach which is how most people would start kinky twists for a good firm attachment then she twists like I and @Mook's hair twist. That she combs (or fluffs the hair as you guys call it) before adding it doesn't make it different, IMO. If I were doing kinky twists with that hair, I'd make sure it was tangle free so I'd run my fingers through it that way. It's what I used to do when I did braid extensions with synthetic hair coz that sort of hair tangles easily.

The only difference I see is Kinky twists are thinner, Havana thick. Unless y'all have another video that shows something different. Someone said that you have to use Havana hair. Still I find that a silly distinction. So I can't do kinky twists with Havana or Marley hair? C'mon nah!

This reminds me of "invisible braids" and "microbraids not braided to the end". Same difference to me.

The point I was making is once you know how to do Kinky Twists the way Mook's hair was doing them, then you just grab a chunkier section and the same with the hair and do them bigger. And voila, you have Havana twists.

TamedTresses

Nonie, I mentioned kinky twists because someone up-thread said that if you comb Marley hair it will look raggedy and that is simply not true. I agree that if you can do kinky twists, you should be able to do Havana twists. Havana twists do look different to kinky twists IMO. The difference in appearance is partly due to the fact that the hair used is not as coily as Marley hair, and you don't do the double roll while twisting the hair like you would do for a kinky twist so the twist is puffy.

Marley hair is often used to do Havana twists, however, to get the puffy look the hair is fluffed/separated so it can create a thicker twist. I posted the video so OP could see how to manipulate the Marley hair to look like the Havana hair, so I don't think you have to use Havana hair for Havana twists. The point was that different hair will yield different results if the hair isn't manipulated like it should be...and that manipulating the hair will notmake it look raggedy.

Last edited:

Saga

The Generous Queen

I understand. The reason I made my prior statement is because in my past experience when I fluffed out marely hair it did not end well due to the texture, but I guess there is a trick and technique for everything. I thought Havanna twists could only be done with Finger Comber hair, because that was their origin (as far as extensions go).