My first attempt at kinky twists - PICS

preciousjewel76

OK, so I went out and got a pack of hair today to practice kinky twists. I tried putting 3 in, just to get the hang of it. It's not so hard, but I'm still having a bit of trouble attaching the synthetic hair. I used BeautiCollection Marly Braid hair, color #4.

I'm having another problem - my ends keep popping out of the twist (see 2nd pic attached).:eek: It's like they're too "straight" to stay in the twist! They're not damaged. Any suggestions? Should I put gel on my hair before twisting to get the ends to stay?

There are a few additional pics in my Fotki (no PW needed):
http://public.fotki.com/preciousjewel76/falls-and-phony-pon/the-kinky-twist-pro/

Attachments

• Kinky twists_side.jpg
    Kinky twists_side.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Kinky twists_ends.jpg
    Kinky twists_ends.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 22

MzLady78

Good job! I don't know if you want yours straight or curly but I liked mine curled. She put perm rods on the ends and then dipped them in hot water. I guess you could the same, minus the rods if you want them straight.

There's a pic in my fotki, feel free to take a look.

Nonie

You did a great job, Precious! I think to get the ends of your hair to stay in you will have to pay attention to when you get close to the ends of you hair and then twist with your fingers over the part where your hair ends and deliberately cross over getting hair caught in the cross over. Or if you can find a way to wrap the extension hair around your hair so those ends are hidden...not all through the length but just close to the end of your hair (you can do this just before you twist). It won't work with all, but if you make the effort, it'll work with most so that your hair doesn't show.

If you can't master how to, don't worry about it. I mean, even so-called stylists have trouble with that; that's why they insist of singeing the hair to get rid of "fly-aways" when really it's the parts of your hair they couldn't get to tuck in well.

I can't believe you've just learned to do them yourself. Job very well done!

preciousjewel76

MzLady78 said:
Good job! I don't know if you want yours straight or curly but I liked mine curled. She put perm rods on the ends and then dipped them in hot water. I guess you could the same, minus the rods if you want them straight.

There's a pic in my fotki, feel free to take a look.

Thanks! I was asking about what to do about the ends of MY hair sticking out of the twist, though. I was planning to curl the ends of the twists with perm rods, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

chayil0427 said:
Good for the first run. How is the video? I was thinking of ordering it.

It's pretty good, but she focuses only on technique, not braid maintenance or anything like that.

MzLady78

preciousjewel76 said:
Thanks! I was asking about what to do about the ends of MY hair sticking out of the twist, though. I was planning to curl the ends of the twists with perm rods, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

It's pretty good, but she focuses only on technique, not braid maintenance or anything like that.

Oh, okay. Wow, reading really is fundamental, LOL.

I'm trying to remember what she did with mine. She may have used a lighter.

PaulaDiddy

Just as Nonie says...pay attention when you get to the end of your real hair so that it gets in the twist. I don't put gel on them because it can't be washed out clearly and stays on my hair for as long as the braids are in.

Good job so far. I always tell others how easy it is. No need to pay so much to get braids did.:)