HELP PUH-LEEZ! Natural Type 4 Hair Bun w/Added Hair

LadyPBC

I used to do my buns like this when I was a teenager. I haven't done it in a while because the tracks are easier for me. I usually use a little piece of of hair and wrap it around.

Buns made with kanekalon hair:

Buns made with tracks/leftover weave scraps:

I can only see one of your pictures (w/leftover weave scraps) but that's what I have in mind. The waves back into a bun loose or braided (I'll have options). WOW - thanks Glamazon! I am so excited to try this. I'm going to the BSS in a few. Should I get kankakelon or toyalackawonna :lachen: or bulk hair or weave or ... what ta do what ta do! I'm sure I have everything I need at home.

glamazon386

I can only see one of your pictures (w/leftover weave scraps) but that's what I have in mind. The waves back into a bun loose or braided (I'll have options). WOW - thanks Glamazon! I am so excited to try this. I'm going to the BSS in a few. Should I get kankakelon or toyalackawonna :lachen: or bulk hair or weave or ... what ta do what ta do! I'm sure I have everything I need at home.

Is it the first pic or the second one? I'll try and fix it. If you want to do braiding hair would get the kanekalon because the toyokalon will look super shiny in comparison to your hair. Even with the kanekalon I had that problem sometimes. I had to make sure my hair was slicked down good while it was wet or else it would look dull in comparison to the braiding hair which made the bun stand out as fake. My hair is kind of dull looking anyway.

If you want to do weave just get like some cheapy human curly hair from the BSS. Like water wave or something like that. It shouldn't cost more than maybe $9.99 - $12.99 for a pack. Then take a comb or brush and pluck it out. Then wrap it around.

Last edited:

LadyPBC

Is it the first pic or the second one? I'll try and fix it. If you want to do braiding hair would get the kanekalon because the toyokalon will look super shiny in comparison to your hair. Even with the kanekalon I had that problem sometimes. I had to make sure my hair was slicked down good while it was wet or else it would look dull in comparison to the braiding hair which made the bun stand out as fake. My hair is kind of dull looking anyway.

If you want to do weave just get like some cheapy human curly hair from the BSS. Like water wave or something like that. It shouldn't cost more than maybe $9.99 - $12.99 for a pack. Then take a comb or brush and pluck it out. Then wrap it around.

I can see the 1st pic for now - will be able to see them all when I get home. Going to the BSS now to window shop (didn't go at lunchtime - had to get my tire repaired) then I'll see what I have in my stash at home. For the first go round I'll probably use what I already have. I think I have some weave scraps at home and I know I have some kanekalon hair, and cheap braiding hair at home. YAY! I hope it turns out okay:blush:. I"m not one to fuss for a long time stylin my hair.

Ediese

These were some buns that I did with kinky curly hair. (for some of these, the hair was installed. for the rest, all I did was put my hair in a ponytail, and wrap the old kinky curly hair around it.)

This is when I was transitioning.

mscocoface

This is a rough way to do it, but hey, it worked for me. Back in 2008:

*I braided afro braid hair into my real hair (middle section only). I left the perimeter out.

There are more pics/explanations in the fotki. (2008, Months 3-4 natural.) I left it as a ponytail, but you can bun it up. HTH!

This is fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh man you make me want to pull this out and try this now, after I made a promise not to use any other hair this year.

Sorry, too tempting, got to at least see if it works. Will post picts when I do this. PROMISE.

THANK YOU FOR THE TUTORIAL!!! :yep:

This will be the first time I even attempt a BUN in all this naturalness if I create this style. Mwedzi I just saw your tutorial on youtube with the bun and the chopstick...I may be able to pull that one off also.

Last edited:

it_comes_naturally

Uh - like the waves in your siggy/avatar (what ever that picture is called in the upper left hand corner of your post). Waves like that :yep:!

I used cantu shea butter leave in conditioning repair cream after shampooing. I put a scarf on and went to bed. Next morning...that's what I had. No gel needed.

MsLizziA

This one is a life (time) saver for me! I got this from an old LHCF post. I can't remember who the poster was, but she's awesome.

1. I take a bag of kankelon braid hair, place it on a doorknob so that there's an equal amount of hair hanging on the left and right sides of the knob.
2. Then make one braid using both sides that are hanging, making sure to leave a loop in the hair where it's hanging from the knob.
3. Secure the bottom of the braid.
4. Slip it from the doorknob.
5. Put your hair (that's already in a little bun or ponytail) through the kankelon loop, secure with pins, then wrap the braid around it. Secure with pins.

This is great to cover a baggy too.
So i tried to leave a baggy on and cover my hair with the braid. It didn't work out so well :(. The baggy was def showing so i just took it off and did my bun like i would regularly do it. Can i have a picture by picture tutorial of how you cover your baggy with this method?

NIN4eva

So i tried to leave a baggy on and cover my hair with the braid. It didn't work out so well :(. The baggy was def showing so i just took it off and did my bun like i would regularly do it. Can i have a picture by picture tutorial of how you cover your baggy with this method?

Girl I am all bunned out. :lachen: but what I used was a piece a fabric (a square of black satin or something) to cover the baggy. A dress sock would work too.

mizzy247

This is a rough way to do it, but hey, it worked for me. Back in 2008:

*I braided afro braid hair into my real hair (middle section only). I left the perimeter out.

There are more pics/explanations in the fotki. (2008, Months 3-4 natural.) I left it as a ponytail, but you can bun it up. HTH!

Your hair is beautiful!! Great work.. Looks so natural!!