HELP SCALP PROBLEMS!

l0vethyself

Ok Ladies, from day one of transitioning I have had this problem. My scalp is constantly itchy and seems dry. I don't have any dry patches though. Also, I have a constant film of icky stuff on my scalp. :wallbash: It resembles grease. I don't use any grease on my hair however. It doesn't matter if I was or just co-wash, this itchy film is always here. I have tried an ACV wash, it didn't do anything for my hair. Also, I have nape length 4a/4b hair.

Is this product build up? Or a result from dry scalp? What can I do to permanently get rid of this filmy nasty stuff and relieve my itchy scalp?

HELP, THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING!

southerncitygirl

what poo or condish do ya use are you sure you're not having some sort of allergic reaction? maybe you should switch....how often do ya wash/co-wash? you could try pre-poo with neem oil ( its stinky but I hear its effective for all sorts of skin/scalp ailments.

l0vethyself

what poo or condish do ya use are you sure you're not having some sort of allergic reaction? maybe you should switch....how often do ya wash/co-wash? you could try pre-poo with neem oil ( its stinky but I hear its effective for all sorts of skin/scalp ailments.

Thanks f0r y0ur resp0nse! :D
I usually will co-wash with paul mitchel's daily moisturizerising con or either biolage hydrating con. When I poo, every other week, I use carols daughter rosemary poo or I use biosilk poo.

I never thought about an allergic reaction..hmmm...I will research on that.

I co-wash once a week, put little braids all over, and throw on my wig. I use poo every other week and always a leave in, evoo, and biosilk serum.

I have never heard of neem oil..where do I get that at?

Thanks again! :yep:

Tyra

When my scalp/hair gets like that I do a baking soda scrub.
I have some dilute distilled water (doesn't have to be distilled) with some baking soda in a spray bottle---enough to make the water cloudy.
I spray it throughout my hair onto my scalp.
Scrub it with the pads of my fingers and rinse.
It works everytime.:yep:
I don't use grease on my scalp either.

l0vethyself

When my scalp/hair gets like that I do a baking soda scrub.
I have some dilute distilled water (doesn't have to be distilled) with some baking soda in a spray bottle---enough to make the water cloudy.
I spray it throughout my hair onto my scalp.
Scrub it with the pads of my fingers and rinse.
It works everytime.:yep:
I don't use grease on my scalp either.

hmm..im g0ing t0 try this...I did try t0 "wash" with BS..but I think i did it wr0ng l0l, I didn't f0cus 0n my scalp..just a few questi0ns th0ugh..

H0w much water d0 y0u put in the water b0ttle?
D0 y0u d0 any type 0f prep 0r wash bef0re?
D0 y0u c0-wash 0r p00 afterwards?

Thanks f0r the help!

Tyra

hmm..im g0ing t0 try this...I did try t0 "wash" with BS..but I think i did it wr0ng l0l, I didn't f0cus 0n my scalp..just a few questi0ns th0ugh..

H0w much water d0 y0u put in the water b0ttle?
D0 y0u d0 any type 0f prep 0r wash bef0re?
D0 y0u c0-wash 0r p00 afterwards?

Thanks f0r the help!

If I feel like the build up is so much that the bs might not "get it" alone, I add a drop (and I do mean a drop) of shampoo to the mixture.

The spray bottle is probably *guesstimating* about 12 ounces.
I fill it up to about 10oz, and add what might be about 1-1.5 tbsp of baking soda.

Sorry that I don't have exact measurements.

I do make sure to deep condition right after just to make sure that my hair isn't left stripped.

There have been times when I co washed before.
I don't shampoo after. The bs cleanses the hair as I am rinsing it off of my scalp. Keep in mind that my hair is *snaps fingers* this long, so that's not much length for the bs to rinse clean.

I say do whatever you do that leaves your hair with optimum moisture. Before or after the bs rinse. Whatever would normally work for you when your hair needs to be moisturized.

l0vethyself

If I feel like the build up is so much that the bs might not "get it" alone, I add a drop (and I do mean a drop) of shampoo to the mixture.

The spray bottle is probably *guesstimating* about 12 ounces.
I fill it up to about 10oz, and add what might be about 1-1.5 tbsp of baking soda.

Sorry that I don't have exact measurements.

I do make sure to deep condition right after just to make sure that my hair isn't left stripped.

There have been times when I co washed before.
I don't shampoo after. The bs cleanses the hair as I am rinsing it off of my scalp. Keep in mind that my hair is *snaps fingers* this long, so that's not much length for the bs to rinse clean.

I say do whatever you do that leaves your hair with optimum moisture. Before or after the bs rinse. Whatever would normally work for you when your hair needs to be moisturized.

Ok, thank y0u s0 much..I will try this..I h0pe it w0rks!

Jetblackhair

My scalp used to be very itchy but what has helped me is to actually clarify my scalp. I use a clarifying shampoo and focus on my scalp.

The first time I did it, I couldn't believe the relief I felt. My scalp felt calm. I don't have the problem like I once did, but whenever I do feel that strong itchiness I just clarify.

Ballerina_Bun

If what the other women have suggested does not work, you could always try Organic Root Stimulator- Uplifting Shampoo. This works so well, I always keep a bottle of it around. It works so well, I just had some sent to me in a “care package”.

Give it a try.

Also, Carolyn Grays HHIAB oil is nice. I don’t think that she sells it anymore, but if you make your own and add tea tree oil and neem to too, that “could” help. I’ve only used her oils after a relaxer to pamper my scalp. Her oil was perfect for that, but I added a few other things.

Good Luck!

Lady S

It could be product build up. I've noticed I have to be extra thorough to make sure shampoo and conditioner is off my scalp. Those hand held massaging shampoo heads are my best friend.

mrsjohnson75

It could be your wig. Is it synthetic hair? It may have an alkaline base which could be causing an allergic reaction. If so, give it a vinegar bath to remove it.

l0vethyself

My scalp used to be very itchy but what has helped me is to actually clarify my scalp. I use a clarifying shampoo and focus on my scalp.

The first time I did it, I couldn't believe the relief I felt. My scalp felt calm. I don't have the problem like I once did, but whenever I do feel that strong itchiness I just clarify.

Ok, what clarifying poo do you recommend?

l0vethyself

If what the other women have suggested does not work, you could always try Organic Root Stimulator- Uplifting Shampoo. This works so well, I always keep a bottle of it around. It works so well, I just had some sent to me in a “care package”.

Give it a try.

Also, Carolyn Grays HHIAB oil is nice. I don’t think that she sells it anymore, but if you make your own and add tea tree oil and neem to too, that “could” help. I’ve only used her oils after a relaxer to pamper my scalp. Her oil was perfect for that, but I added a few other things.

Good Luck!

Where can I buy the Organic Root Stimulator-Uplifting poo? Thanx :D

l0vethyself

It could be your wig. Is it synthetic hair? It may have an alkaline base which could be causing an allergic reaction. If so, give it a vinegar bath to remove it.

Never thought about that, no it is human, I make it myself with tracks and a wave cap and bonding glue.

silenttullip

It could be product build up so I second the uplifting shampoo or since you like paul mitchell try his tea tree. Also since you don't have any patches I kind rule out eczema but the greasiness makes me wonder if its seborheic dermatitis. Does your scalp have any crust? If not make sure you don't have hard water that can do a number. I had major scalp issues but as long as I clarify *I use giovanni wheat or organic root stimulator aloe shampoo* and put something to keep my scalp moist with oils like grapeseed coconut oil etc or some product like qhemets or darcy's I'm fine.

l0vethyself

It could be product build up so I second the uplifting shampoo or since you like paul mitchell try his tea tree. Also since you don't have any patches I kind rule out eczema but the greasiness makes me wonder if its seborheic dermatitis. Does your scalp have any crust? If not make sure you don't have hard water that can do a number. I had major scalp issues but as long as I clarify *I use giovanni wheat or organic root stimulator aloe shampoo* and put something to keep my scalp moist with oils like grapeseed coconut oil etc or some product like qhemets or darcy's I'm fine.

Thanks..the water here is hard water. I don't think I have any crust, the stuff always seems moist and not dry.

silenttullip

Okay a water filter might be a good idea and quidad and other makers have shampoos specifically for hard water. I had to get a filter and still ended up getting a shampoo for chelating.

Thanks..the water here is hard water. I don't think I have any crust, the stuff always seems moist and not dry.

l0vethyself

UPDATE

I tried some of you guys tips. I made a scalp scrub using: baking soda, honey, sugar in the raw, and EVOO. I poo'd with Carol's Daughter Rosemary Mint and Sea Moss Poo and then used my fingers to apply the scrub to my scalp. Once applied, I used a circular motion to massage it in for about 3-minutes. I was in the shower, so I am estimating the time. I then rinsed it all out and used the CD poo again. I put in Paul Mitchel Daily Moisturizing Con and added tea tree oil. I let it sit for about 7 mins, I bathed and used the left over scrub on my skin, made it soft and silky smooth ;-) I then rinsed it out with lukewarm/coldish water. I looked at my hair in the mirror and wow. My curls have never looked this defined and lively. I looked at my scalp and it looked extremely clean. I noticed a bit of whitish scabbing in some places, I will monitor that. I am going to apply my biosilk to my hair and evoo to my scalp. I am so excited! Thanks for all the help.

I also found this amazing site with good recipes for rinses, scrubs, and natural hair care. http://hmbeautyrecipes.homestead.com/HAIRrinses.html HTH

FroFab

I agree with any of the ladies that mentioned tea tree oil because moist white scalp patches seems like it could be related to some sort of fungus and tea tree oil is a natural anti-fungal. Dr. Bronners also makes a tea tree castille soap that you may be able to use as a cheap but effective poo as well. HHG!