Help...Scripture Questions!!!!!

Radianthealth

I am trying to take a step forward and read the Scripture on a daily basis. Today was my first day using the web based www.bibleinayear.org

I read Genesis 1-4 and so far I have these questions:

Questions Genesis 1-4

26Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth."

Who is god referring to when he says Our?

Why does the serpent “trick” Eve?

Did God create other people that aren’t mentioned in the first four chapters? Who do Cain and Able marry?

Why did God prefer Able’s offering over Cain’s?

“24So He drove the man out; and at the east of the garden of Eden He stationed the cherubim and the flaming sword which turned every direction to guard the way to the tree of life.”

What does this mean?

“19Lamech took to himself two wives: the name of the one was Adah, and the name of the other, Zillah.”

Why does Lamech take two wives?

Any guidance that you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I don't know if I have been brainwashed but a lot of the things that occur in the first four chapters don't seem logical or fair to me, I took a religion class in college and we talked briefly about the difference between the God in the Old and New Testament...but which one is my God???

trimbride said:
I am trying to take a step forward and read the Scripture on a daily basis. Today was my first day using the web based www.bibleinayear.org

I read Genesis 1-4 and so far I have these questions:

Questions Genesis 1-4

26Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth."

Who is god referring to when he says Our?

God was speaking of Himself, the Holy Spirit and Jesus...

Why does the serpent “trick” Eve?

From the very beginning satan has been out to gain God's glory. Because God gave us 'free-will' satan knew that he could deceive Eve into straying away from what God originally planned for her and Adam. God plainly told them that they could have anything in the 'Garden' except do NOT touch the forbidden fruit of the tree, which would open them up to sin. satan taunted Eve, by convincing her to eat of this tree would not bring her harm. Eve yielded, gave the fruit to Adam, he yielded and the rest is history.

Did God create other people that aren’t mentioned in the first four chapters?

That's a good question of which I've heard many theories and from excellent teachers. According to God, each seed produces after its own kind, therefore, there had to be continual male/female interaction for increase in human life. But this theory implies 'incest'. In my opinion, it's one of those questions that we will have to see Jesus to know what really occurred.

Who do Cain and Able marry?

The Bible does not mention that Abel married. However it does mention that Cain married when he was 'marked' and sent out after murdering his brother Abel. Cain started another generation of life.

The offering was to be that of an animal sacrifice. Cain knew this, yet he chose to give God a 'lessor' offering instead, which was a sin and an offense to God. It's like when God asks us for an honorable offering and we give Him what doesn't matter to us, instead.
“24So He drove the man out; and at the east of the garden of Eden He stationed the cherubim and the flaming sword which turned every direction to guard the way to the tree of life.”

What does this mean?

After sinning in the Garden of Eden, God had to remove Adam and Eve from it. And God assigned two angels to stand guard. While some see this as a punishiment, I have this impression, that it was to protect them further. Sometimes, God has to remove us from the scene of the crime to protect us from further harm/temptation.
“19Lamech took to himself two wives: the name of the one was Adah, and the name of the other, Zillah.”

Why does Lamech take two wives?

That was the culture and mind-set of that time. Many men took several wives. (In my opinion...this was taken way out of my legal limits... :lol:)
Any guidance that you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I don't know if I have been brainwashed but a lot of the things that occur in the first four chapters don't seem logical or fair to me, I took a religion class in college and we talked briefly about the difference between the God in the Old and New Testament...but which one is my God???

I hope what I've shared with you helps some. I know that other members here will have more to share with you as well.

One good source for understanding is from www.cbn.com . Pat Robertson has a section of Q & A's which may help you much more. Bible study is wonderful, yet a very challenging experience. But so worth the time we give it.

The offering was to be that of an animal sacrifice. Cain knew this, yet he chose to give God a 'lessor' offering instead, which was a sin and an offense to God. It's like when God asks us for an honorable offering and we give Him what doesn't matter to us, instead.

Wow Shimmie...this answer gives me goose bumps, it makes so much sense though, I love how each and every word is so important in the Bible. I am trying to read it and pay attention to what I feel God would want me to know. I will pray that I can continue reading and that I get the understanding and guidance that he wants me to have.

Shimmie you are the BEST!!!

trimbride said:

Wow Shimmie...this answer gives me goose bumps, it makes so much sense though, I love how each and every word is so important in the Bible. I am trying to read it and pay attention to what I feel God would want me to know. I will pray that I can continue reading and that I get the understanding and guidance that he wants me to have.

Shimmie you are the BEST!!!

I love the word of God. Even though I have so SO much to learn, I love it. It saved my son's life; and gives me new life each day.

I know it sounds like a broken record, each time I share my son's testimony, but when you have nothing else to hold on to but God's word, it will change how you feel in believing and trusting Him in all things.

I love you too, Angel. :kiss: Thanks for sharing the Bible website. I'll be visiting it often right here at my desk, during my breaks...;)

Trimbride, I am so proud of you as you start to read the Bible. God is truly going to bless you.

And dearest Shimmie, thank you for explaining to her what the Bible is saying. I appreciate your longing to explain the Bible to her... God's word is living and active, sharper than a two edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow: it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Hebrews 4:12

Another great website with a lot of Bible question and answers is www.amazingfacts.org

Hugs and Kisses :kiss:

ritzbitz78 said:
Trimbride, I am so proud of you as you start to read the Bible. God is truly going to bless you.

And dearest Shimmie, thank you for explaining to her what the Bible is saying. I appreciate your longing to explain the Bible to her... God's word is living and active, sharper than a two edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow: it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Hebrews 4:12

Another great website with a lot of Bible question and answers is www.amazingfacts.org

Hugs and Kisses :kiss:

Blessings to you too, Angel. :kiss: We can't help but love the Word, for it is the Word Who loved us First...and then He came and dwelt among us, with all of His heart. ;)

Back