Help w/hot oil treatment? (I had a breakout!)

Glib Gurl

After reading here about the success people have had with pre-poo hot oil treatments, I started using VO5 Hot Oil Shower Works before my last two shampoos. After the second time, I broke out around my hairline . . . I'm talking the forehead AND the sides. :eek: Now, I was PMSing around the time I got the breakout (and I usually do get acne when Aunt Flo comes around), but I'm wondering if it was the hair products? Here is the breakdown of what I used on my hair these two times . . .

1. Pre-poo w/VO5 Hot Oil Shower Works
2. Shampoo once with Carol's Daughter Tui Herbal Shampoo (I bought this on sale at Sephora for $10. Although I love the smell and think it makes my hair soft, I find that it doesn't soap up very well and also leaves a film on my hair. So, after using it, I always follow with my regular shampoo and conditioner . . . )
3. Shampoo once with Motions Lavish Conditioning Shampoo (to wash ou the Carol's Daughter Product).
4. Condition with either Motions At-Home Nourish LeaveIn Conditioner OR Motions At-Home After Shampoo Moisture Plus Conditioner.

(I've been doing Steps 2-4 together for a few months now, so I don't think the problem is the CD product.)

So, yeah, I think VO5 is the culprit. But, I really do like doing a hot oil treatment . . . I find it makes a big difference in the quality of my hair. So, I'm wondering what type of pre-poo treatment you all use and/or what you would recommend? (I may give the regular VO5 a try . . . the one you heat up before using.)

VirtuousGal

Olive oil and castor oil are tried and true hot oil treatments that are less likely to break you out. HTH

Glib Gurl

Kristal said:
Olive oil and castor oil are tried and true hot oil treatments that are less likely to break you out. HTH

Okay - so how should I prepare the olive oil? Or do I just slather it up there before pooing?

Thanks!

Royal Glory

When I have used olive oil to prepoo, I mix equal parts oil and honey and heat it then apply it to my hair. I keep a plastic cap on for about 40 minutes to an hour and then wash. The results are great.