Help!! What to do with an 8 year olds hair?

BrownBetty

Okay ladies,

I need your help. One of my best friends has her eight year old cousin for the summer. Last summer my friends mother permed the girl's hair with just for me. I told them not relax her hair because she was too young but her excuse was "her hair is hard like rocks and dry". So fast forward to a year later the girl's hair is a hot mess. It is dry and coarse. She has a tender head so it is worse. I am going to do her hair on Saturday and I need some suggestions. I am going to relax it, use porosity control after the perm and now I need suggestions.

I have kenra, elucence, ntm hair mask, and humectress, which should I use after? Or should I do a protein treatment then mositurize? For protein I have gpb, affirm 5 in 1, and nexxus emergencee.

After I relax and condition it I am going to wrap it and let it air dry then put in some twist or braids so she can wear a twist out or braid out.

What products do you suggest for maintenance? For now I am going to suggest CON for a 'poo. What is a good moisturizing conditioner and leave in conditoner that is inexpensive (less than $7)? Any suggestions for an oil sheen, and hairdress? Her hair is really dry!!! I am going to all tell them to buy her a head scarf.

She is here for the for the remainder of the summer and I will be doing her hair so I need suggestions for styles that last for a couple of days.

Thanks for all of your help.

MissVee

GodMadeMePretty

I know that you said you are going to do her hair this Saturday, but is it possible to hold off on doing the relaxer until you get her hair in some kind of condition. Like doing the porosity control and a protein conditioner before the relaxer. And then having your friend do a deep moisturizing conditioner mid-week. So next Saturday, her hair should be in better shape. She can still have the braidout/twistout without the relaxer this week. The new growth and relaxed ends should blend well together.

Just a thought since you said her head was a mess. I'm a strong believer in not putting a relaxer in if you're already having problems with dryness. The relaxer will just dry it out some more.

Neroli

I know you say you're going to relax her hair so this may be way off point, but why not put braids in? It maintenance free, looks cute on little girls and will give her hair a rest during summer. I braid my 2 little cousins hair once every 2 weeks during the summer (they're 4 and 7). I wash their hair with therappe, conditioner with humectress and use headdress as leave in and blowdry with comb attachment just enough to loosen their kinks a bit (they have 4a/4b hair). Then I put in cornrows or large individuals -- takes me about 2 hours each and they're good to go for two weeks.

Just a thought that braids may be the thing under the circumstances.

ChoclatePrincess

What a shame. I have a friend who did the exact same thing! I told her not to put a relaxer in her daughter's hair and she did and now her daughter has this much hair Don't see anything right, that's cause she don't have no hair now!
I don't know if you know how to braid but that's what I would do. Wash and condition it and braid that sucker up! If her hair is already a mess I wouldn't put a relaxer in just yet. Pantene relaxed and natural shampoo and conditioner is cheap you might want to try that. I do my girlfriend's daughter's hair every 3 weeks to a month and I use good old Dax (the green grease) in her hair. Her hair has grown soooooo much since being braided all the time and I do mean all the time cause her momma don't know how to do no hair!

BrownBetty

Thanks guys. I think I will hold off on the relaxer, and try your suggestions. Anyone have ideas on cheap moisturizing products, BTW she is a 4b.

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL
Kids Organics Shea Butter Detangling Moisturizing Hair Lotion is good. My friend loves to use it on her daughter's natural hair, which is also 4b and very thick. It's less than $4.00.

adrienne0914

poor baby! i'm glad you've decided not to relax her hair again. i definitely think braids is the best route. cornrows are good, but individuals are even better since they last so much longer.

for moisture, try curl activator. it really softens the hair up and makes it easier to comb. you can also use it on braids.

Neroli

I have not used but understand that neutrogena triple moisture line is a good one. I've reviewed the ingredients and would try if I'm ever in a pinch and can't afford my beloved nexxus (i hope that NEVA happens!).