Help With A Survey For Class

sweetlaughter

Ladies, I need your help. I am working on a project for class to create a hypothetical eco-friendly kinky/curly haircare and body product online retailer. I need to find as many people as possible to answer my survey. If you have a couple of free minutes and can answer any or all questions in the survey, I would really appreciate it.

For reference in the survey:
Hair product - shampoos, conditioners, leave in, gel, etc.
Body Product - butters, lotions, soaps, oils, etc.
  1. Which, if any ingredients do you avoid in your hair products? Why?
  2. Do you avoid these same ingredients in your body products? Why or why not.
  3. What is the main thing you look for from a hair product? In other words, what would make you a repeat customer of a hair product?
  4. What is the main thing you look for from a body product?
  5. Are there any ingredients you buy separately to add to a product or use by themselves, such as, oils or pure butters? What are they?
  6. What frustrates you the most about online hair and body product retailers?
  7. How much do you estimate that you spend monthly on hair and body products?

Dee_33

Live, Laugh, Love
1. non water soluable silicones because they dry my hair out.

2. No

3. Good slip and moisture

4. Non-drying ingredients

5. No

6. Shipping costs

7. $30

CodeRed

• Which, if any ingredients do you avoid in your hair products? Why?
  • Do you avoid these same ingredients in your body products? Why or why not.
  • What is the main thing you look for from a hair product? In other words, what would make you a repeat customer of a hair product?
  • What is the main thing you look for from a body product?
  • Are there any ingredients you buy separately to add to a product or use by themselves, such as, oils or pure butters? What are they?
  • What frustrates you the most about online hair and body product retailers?
  • How much do you estimate that you spend monthly on hair and body products?

1. Mineral oils, waxes, lanolin, petrol, etc. They make my hair feel coated, kind of stiff and sometimes hard.

2. For the most part yes. These things sit on your skin and don't really allow it to breath freely so I don't really use them too much.

3. I want hair products that have lasting effects i.e. I don't want my hair to feel awesome on wash day and then the next day it feels like crap. Also, consistency with performance and truthfulness in claims so I know what products actually cater to the performance I want in that specific product.

4. I look for the product to do what it claims.

5. N/A I think my mixtress days are over :lol:

6. I don't buy very many handmade products anymore (like maybe 1 or 2 per year) because of consistency issues in both products and service. I don't think I take my beauty items and practices too seriously anymore and so when people start messing up my routine with their personal issues it bugs me because now I have to get seriously indignant :lol:. I only really see those issues with handmade vendors so I try to stay away for the most part.

7. I don't even know how much I spend monthly. With the exception of this 3 month no buy I generally just go pick up something if it looks appealing to me. It's usually in-store so those items don't cost as much as shopping online with boutique vendors.

LovingLady

1. Mineral Oil, Petroleum, Vegetable Glycerin, Aloe Vera Juice. My hair does not agree with them.
  2. Yes for the same reason.
  3. I expect products to do exactly what it claims. If I bought a detanglar, it should properly detangle my hair type. If it only works for type 3 hair, it should be stated on the bottle.
  4. Non-greasy feeling
  5. Coconut and rice bran oil
  6. You can't return items that don't work.
  7. $15

Ivonnovi

1. Heavy Oils, Weighs my fine strands down.
  2. Nope, except Olive Oil (not good for prolonged use in my hair; fine on body during the winter. OO has a residual scent that I can’t stand when it get’s hot; be it blowdrying/heated tools or the weather.
  3. Honestly, “nothing”. My hair does better with less products and because of this I use very basic products. In the past the qualifiers were performance, and scent.
  4. I want it to be versatile and smell good. Again, I’m very basic
  5. I have my own Essential Oils and am quiet adept at mixing them with sugars and oils (scrubs). Grapeseed oils, coconut oil, coco and shea butters. Castile soaps.
  6. Products that seem faddish or getting to like an item then find it has been discontinued. Or hunting for it's new manufacturer.
  7. Maybe $20.
BTW: ......IHTH: My hair is in it's natural state, and over the past few years I've worn my hair locked off & on. Never BC'd, but spent many many hours unraveling my tresses. I've learned to keep it basic

PJaye

Which, if any ingredients do you avoid in your hair products? Why?
The answer would depend upon the type of product that I’m purchasing. For instance, I tend to avoid shampoos, cleansers and finishing products that contain any type of protein because it upsets my hair’s protein-moisture balance. While I may not avoid them outright, I also don't use products that contain mineral oil, silicones and cheap ingredients, like corn and palm oil, too often. IMO, they’re a waste of time since I don't receive any benefit from them. Plus, I can do without the added worry of ridding myself of the build up these additives can bring.

Do you avoid these same ingredients in your body products? Why or why not.
Yes, I do. I'm not interested in using body products that contains proteins, silicones, mineral oil or other cheap ingredients because I view them as unnecessary fillers.

What is the main thing you look for from a hair product? In other words, what would make you a repeat customer of a hair product?
The main thing that I look for in a hair product is always efficacy – how well a given product performs on my hair. Whether it be a deep conditioner/masque or protein treatment, in order for me to become a repeat customer, I must receive long-lasting moisture and visible strength respectively. If not, I will look elsewhere.

What is the main thing you look for from a body product?
For body products, the deciding factor for me is performance – will it provide long-lasting moisture and softness.

Are there any ingredients you buy separately to add to a product or use by themselves, such as, oils or pure butters? What are they?
Yes. I love the added benefit that certain essential and carrier oils can offer, so I purchase them separately.

What frustrates you the most about online hair and body product retailers?
The things that frustrate me most with online vendors are: (1) unsafe and unhygienic products that contain foreign items, such as dirt, grime and hair; (2) hazardous products – those that spoil easily and/or have a short shelf life; (3) products with consistency issues - one that is thick and creamy one month and thin and runny the next; (4) substandard customer service, where a vendor is either uncommunicative with their consumers, or are dismissive of their needs and concerns. I have no problem with waiting for a product to be shipped out to me, particularly if it’s a handcrafted item. However, when I do receive my product, I expect it to be clean, consistent and stable. I dare say it isn’t too much to ask that my items are free of dirt, hair and consistency issues, and is able to exist for a year without difficulty.

How much do you estimate that you spend monthly on hair and body products?
I don’t have a monthly budget because I don’t make hair and body purchases every month. I only shop during sale promotions...substantial sale promotions. Since there is no product that I’m willing to purchase at full price, my interest is only piqued when there’s a sale. No sale, no deal.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
Ladies, I need your help. I am working on a project for class to create a hypothetical eco-friendly kinky/curly haircare and body product online retailer. I need to find as many people as possible to answer my survey. If you have a couple of free minutes and can answer any or all questions in the survey, I would really appreciate it.

For reference in the survey:
Hair product - shampoos, conditioners, leave in, gel, etc.
Body Product - butters, lotions, soaps, oils, etc.
  1. Which, if any ingredients do you avoid in your hair products? Why?
  2. Do you avoid these same ingredients in your body products? Why or why not.
  3. What is the main thing you look for from a hair product? In other words, what would make you a repeat customer of a hair product?
  4. What is the main thing you look for from a body product?
  5. Are there any ingredients you buy separately to add to a product or use by themselves, such as, oils or pure butters? What are they?
  6. What frustrates you the most about online hair and body product retailers?
  7. How much do you estimate that you spend monthly on hair and body products?
1. Coconut oil because I've recently found I'm protein sensitive and glycerine because I try to avoid frizziness and lack of definition.

2. No, because my skin has different needs than my hair. It's WAY less sensitive.

3. I like hair products that leave my hair soft, moisturized, smooth and shiny. I also like products that work with stretching my hair.

4. I look for long lasting moisture and a little sheen.

5. I use safflower oil to use along with my prepoo.

6. Inability to see, smell and feel the products, difficulty making returns, higher prices, and inconsistency in products and customer service. Also I want my stuff TODAY. I want to put my hands on it and take it home.

7. On average about $50ish?

ETA: I just went back to read the other replies and saw that @CodeRed and I said one of the same things, almost word for word, about online retailers being inconsistent in service and products.

Last edited:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
1. Silicones, Parabens, Petroleum, Mineral Oil and other bad things.
2. Yes, I try to avoid those same things in body products. (Harsh chemicals)
3. If it works for my hair. Reviews. Sales. Overall Customer Service. etc...
4. A Body Product should give me the things I'm looking for, for my skin
5. No, I don't buy or add anything "extra". I think a product should be able to stand on it's on
6. Poor Customer Service. Ship time. Overall Product inconsistencies. Discontinuation. Formula changes.
7. Too much!

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
Which, if any ingredients do you avoid in your hair products? Why?
> Petroleum, mineral oil, lanolin, beeswax, palm oil, mango butter, coconut oil; some of them make my hair hard while others leave a waxy feel that requires clarifying multiple times to get rid of

Do you avoid these same ingredients in your body products? Why or why not?
> No. With the exception of beeswax and mineral oil, all of the above products are okay in my body products as far as lotions/creams go. I avoid almost all of them in soaps though.

What is the main thing you look for from a hair product? In other words, what would make you a repeat customer of a hair product?
> Ingredients, reviews, customer service. When I buy a hair product, if it does what it says it should or it exceeds my expectations (moisturized my hair for a week instead of three days, etc.), then I'll purchase it again.

What is the main thing you look for from a body product?
> If it's lotion/cream, soft, moisturized skin that isn't ashy again in minutes. If it's soap, as natural as possible.

Are there any ingredients you buy separately to add to a product or use by themselves, such as, oils or pure butters? What are they?
> Clays, essential oils, certain carrier oils, Ayurvedic powders

What frustrates you the most about online hair and body product retailers?
> Long ship times without communication, inconsistencies, poor customer service, discontinued products, reformulated products, poor communication

How much do you estimate that you spend monthly on hair and body products?
> About $10-$20 for body. The hair budget is all over the place. Sometimes, I buy nothing. Other times, too damn much.