Naturals...BUTTERS & OILS...a database/survey

Ms.Christ3n

Okay, I just ordered Sweet Almond oil and Grapeseed oil to add to my collection of oils. I can't wait for it to get here!

lilsparkle825

3c/4a, thin strands, loose (3b) and silky in the nape, tight and dry in the crown area.

SHEA BUTTER: my hair can't deal unless it's in something commercial like miss jessies baby buttercreme or cantu shea butter leave-in. i bought some, and whipped a teeny bit with olive oil....hated it! i can't baggy with it, either. i slathered my strands in it and woke up to DRY hair. tried one last time to like it by melting it and adding it to my DC....no dice.

AVOCADO BUTTER: i began using this to seal on straight hair and smooth down my edges. it is really soft and nice. i think i will save it for straight hair since i don't have a lot.

MANGO BUTTER: also works well on my edges. comparable to avocado butter, but a bit harder.

COCONUT OIL: i love this stuff! it is all i used on my straightened hair, and i use it to seal my curly hair (when i remember).

GRAPESEED OIL: i add this to my DCs, usually with honey as well. love it.

SAFFLOWER, AFRICA'S BEST HERBAL, CASTOR, PALM KERNEL, SOYBEAN, OLIVE OILS: i randomly add these to my DCs or prepoo with them. i like them.

RubyWoo

My hair is 4B with medium strands.

Avocado oil: I just started using this again and I love it! It helped me finger detangle my 2 day old twist out yesterday. It made my strands very soft, slippy and my hair detangled with ease.

Evallusion

LiloLombardi
My 4B Hair is loving Castor Oil! It is so thick and non greasy. Its actually the only oil my hair really loves! And it doesn't rub off on everything or leave that greasy, oily film on my hair.

To those who have tried Avocado Oil, is it in any way like Castor Oil?

Last edited:

Nonie

I'm 4B.

Butters: Shea :down: After melting it between hands by rubbing them together and applying to my hair, the hair felt OK, but when it dried, I had something hard enough to substitute for a brush. :nono:

Oils: :down: EVOO sucked. It just sat on my hair and made my hair hard. Vatika Oil :down: A friend sent it to me...but I honestly don't remember being as thrilled about it as she promised I'd be. I think she suggested I use it as a prepoo. I still don't know why. Not sure what I was supposed to experience. It was that forgettable.

I have memories of coconut oil being good on my hair when I was a kid. But back then even Dax was good. So was Posner Bergamont. But I can't imagine having those pomades on my head now so I dunno. I'm yet to try coconut oil alone on my hair.

ETA: Before I settled on S Curl, my friend sent me a few non-store-sold butters to try (I'd have to dig them up to give names, but the results were just like Shea butter. Good on application, horrible later. Curl Souffle came to mind just now....is that considered "butter-based"? Or maybe it's a cream. :scratchch) Anyway, hate everything but S Curl. :lol: Am I allowed to mention S Curl in a butters and oils thread? :hide:

Last edited:

LayneJ

I have dense, type 4a hair with fine strands.

Hair Likes:

- Coconut Oil: I deep condition with this. It's very moisturizing
- Castor Oil: I use this on my ends, my edges, & to lightly detangle dry hair before a wash; it's heavy, but it is the most moisturizing oil I've ever used
- Shea Butter: Use when styling; it's moisturizing but doesn't leave my hair feeling greasy

Hair Dislikes:

- Avocado Butter: Did not provide nearly enough moisture for my hair; left it dry

Neutral/Other:

- Olive Oil: My hair loved this when I was NL/SL and had damaged hair; doesn't work alone anymore
- Jojoba Oil: Same as above; also doesn't work alone anymore
- Red Palm Butter: It made my hair soft, but it stained; I don't use it for that reason

sithembile

I'm 4b with thick, coarse strands

Shea butter: I love it, makes my hair soft and it's not greasy. I can only apply it to dry or almost dry hair.

Jojoba oil: love it on my relaxed ends for sheen, plus it's so light. I also use it in my water, glycerine mix.

Hempseed oil: quite heavy so I only use it for prepoos

WGO: use it for prepoos

Castor oil: use on my scalp and edges only

Coconut oil: great for sealing and prepooing.

I want to try avocado oil next.

lovelexi

4A Fine Strand Relaxed

EVCO: The best oil I've been using on my hair. Not to thick or to thin. I really like it.

Castor Oil: I would never use this on my hair alone its way to thick. I mix it into DCs and it works well.

Grapeseed oil: Too light for my hair. I use it in DCs

Jojoba oil: Switch it up with the EVCO. Use it to seal.

EVOO: Idk...this oil did nothing for my hair. I dont bother with it anymore.

I havent tried any butters yet.

Is it too late to answer?

I'm transitioning; but, I believe I am 3c/4a with fine hair.

Coconut Oil - My hair loves this oil. It makes my hair so soft!

Avocado Oil - As with Coconut oil, my hair also loves this oil for the same properties. It's heavier than the coconut, though. So, I use it lightly.

Olive Oil (EVOO) - Works well with my hair as long as it's mixed with other oils. When it's alone, I don't feel much from it.

I use these three oils together as a personal mix because I want my hair to get the full effects of these oils in one deal.

Castor Oil - I don't use this oil much because it's too sticky and heavy. But, I must say it helped my edges thicken a bit. But, I haven't used it in a while.

Shea Butter - My hair loves this butter. No negatives thus far.

Last edited:

thehairmaverick

4a medium-thick strands (some fine strand sprinkled in the nape and crown areas)

LOVE shea butter! Its the only butter I use. Each day, my hair get noticeably softer from the first day application.

EVOO, EVCO, Hempseed, Rice bran, and Castor oils are the best! Hempseed oil makes my hair sleek, and the rest make my hair really soft. EVCO instantly makes my hair feel moisturized, while EVOO and RB are better for pre-poos.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
Oils & butters tried so far

The King: Castor – One of the heaviest oils, it is very sticky using it straight on dry hair. Oil rinsing (using it on wet hair) is where its coating properties come to life. It does not wash off easily, making it great for detangling under a shower stream. When dry, a silky, non-greasy film is left behind, sealing in moisture and increasing the protection from mechanical damage and hydral fatigue. I have had only one reverse split since I buzz it off back in July 2015 (I think from the Tangle Teezer Thick & Curly). It is also somewhat penetrating, maintaining softness yet keeping firmness (clumps my coils). Any remaining trace of oil on the roots evaporates in a day or two.

The Crown Prince: Hempseed – The oil known for the highest amount of natural ceramides (hair protein shields), its medium viscosity lightens castor oil when mixed with it. It also works well by its lonesome, although the strong, grassy smell can be off-putting and lingers for days. Like castor oil, it leaves behind a smooth, non-greasy film and any residual oiliness evaporates in a day. Great for sealing in moisture.

Olive and Sesame – Both are penetrating, but they lifted my cuticle layer, making my hair feel rough. They left my hair greasy and yucky. I can use them to finger-detangle dry before washing in a pinch.

Jojoba – It is supposed to by chemically close to natural sebum, but castor oil works better with the scant amount I get. It does leave behind a non-greasy, conditioning layer, like castor and hempseed does, but it is much thinner and actually strips the sebum out of my hair. I will only use it mixed with castor oil and maybe dry finger-detangle prior to washing. It is medium to medium-light in thickness and great for sealing.

Rice Bran – A lighter version of hempseed oil in behavior, it is too light for me.

Grapeseed – A light oil that is meh on my hair.

Avocado – A light oil that my hair somewhat likes. It does lift my cuticle layer a touch, but not enough to make my strands rough. No greasy leftover after my hair dries, but not much of a conditioning film that I get from castor and hempseed. Works well with aloe gel on hair and skin.

Pumpkin Seed – This medium-light behaves like a natural silicone (slip) on my hair and penetrates deeper than castor and hempseed. Using it alone for oil rinsing, it softens my hair like a conditioner and eases detangling. Progressive use frizzes my hair into an Afro and my hair loses moisture quickly. This is not an oil for sealing in moisture yet great as a prepoo. If you love the scent of pumpkin, this has it.

Wheat Germ – A medium viscosity oil, it smells like concentrated wheat and nuts, but that vanishes and I don’t mind it. Ceramide-rich and more penetrating than pumpkin seed, it has softening slip for finger-detangling. It is not a sealing oil, so I must follow it with castor and/or hempseed, unless I want an Afro that day.

Babassu – The most penetrating, softening oil you can buy, IMO. I have dry finger-detangled with it, but its magic is as a prepoo, leaving it on for at least an hour before washing. My hair melts under warm water, and I can wet finger-detangling with it. Cannot be used alone for oil rinsing, too striping, but works best either with or prior to other oils. Not for sealing, but great after a protein treatment.

Shea Butter – Sat on my hair being greasy, wet or dry. I might revisit a whipped sample to see if that improves its use.

Broccoli Seed – On the light side and the non-greasy, the conditioning film it left behind was light, too, similar to jojoba. Very good for detangling, lasted longer under running water than pumpkin seed, but not as penetrating as the latter. I would consider it a step above jojoba in behavior on my hair. And, yes, it did feel like silicone serum. I will use it with aloe for twisting up my hair for twist-outs. Very mild nutty scent that disappears.

Apricot Kernel – It left a non-greasy, smooth film on my hair and is a bit thicker than broccoli seed, nice conditioning film. The oily, nutty scent was mild and did not bother me. I think this would work best to thin out a thicker oil, like castor, for example.

JBCO – It is thicker and stickier than the regular cold-pressed stuff. The brand I used had a over-roasted nutty scent, moderate in strength, but it did not repel me. This definitely must be mixed with something lighter; detangling was a chore! I want to try some of the very dark stuff to see how it compares. Despite the trouble using it, I love the softness I got from the JBCO. I think I can go 5 days without doing anything else but covering my hair at night.

Emu (clear) – It detangled OK, not as well as the apricot kernel. The conditioning film left on my hair feels a touch better than hempseed and soft to the back of my hand (no prickly ends).

Derma-E 14,000 IU (vitamin E in a safflower oil base) – This progressively reduced my shedding! The shrinkage was the same as with castor and hempseed, coils cool to the touch, and very soft. No greasiness, a step below apricot for detangling, yet a step above it for conditioning film.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
So what would be your dream hair routine using the best of the best out of these oils?
To be honest, I cannot say. Although I am enjoying the lighter oils, I have to use castor oil or a castor mix as least once a month to keep my hair from getting too stretchy. I prefer to use the more penetrating ones (babassu, wheat germ, pumpkin seed) without mixing with any others for wet detangling; pumpkin seed is my favorite for that purpose.

Alma Petra

I was imagining something like a mixture of pumpkinseed and babassu as a prepoo for softness and to detangle with, followed by a final oil rinse with a mixture of castor/JBCO and hempseed oil.

What does this sound like?

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
I was imagining something like a mixture of pumpkinseed and babassu as a prepoo for softness and to detangle with, followed by a final oil rinse with a mixture of castor/JBCO and hempseed oil.

What does this sound like?
Sound good, but I would use either castor or JBCO due to the thickness. You can add a lighter oil to the final one if you feel it is too heavy.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
For future reference...

Natural Oil Sunscreens: What You Need to Know

There has been a lot of chatter on the interwebs lately about using coconut oil (and other oils) for sunscreens - amazing that plants actually have natural sun protection in them, isn't it? However, there are a few things you should know before you slather on coconut oil and pop out into the sun. Not all oils' Sun Protection Factor (SPF) are created equal, and not all are strong enough for everyone.

For those choosing coconut oil to be their sun protection of choice, I would heed warning that the SPF factor ranges from 2 - 8 SFP (depending on the quality of oil). For dark skinned beauties, this might not be a big issue, but I would still be wary for anti-aging purposes. As a fair skinned gal, I would burn in under 20 minutes with SPF 2. I am particularly conscious of the SPF I'm wearing (especially on my face, which is always exposed to daylight). If we break it down, you will quickly see that not everyone can use this as an alternative for sunscreen; however, I have some more options for you below.

The Best Natural Oils for Sunscreen

If you're looking to wear plan oil as your sunscreen of choice, I have some options below, in order of their sun protection value (raspberry, despite having lower SPF than carrot seed comes first because it takes care of UVA & UVB rays). Please have a look at the cautions at the bottom of this page before rushing out the store to buy oils.

Red Raspberry Seed Oil - SPF 28 - 50

This one is one of the most popular oils for SPF and can have a range of 28 - 50 (depending on the oil's quality). Red raspberry oil is actually close to equivalent of the protection you would receive from Titanium Dioxide, found in most mineral sunscreens. The essential fatty acids and host of antioxidants in this oil are also great for other skin healing purposes including eczema and psoriasis. Red Raspberry Seed Oil protects against UVA & UVB rays.

Carrot Seed Oil - SPF 38 - 40

Carrot oil, which doubles as an antispetic is said to contain a high SPF factor when diluted with a carrier oil. According to a study published in "Pharmacognosy Magazine" in 2009, products containing carrot seed oil have a natural SPF of between 38 and 40.

Wheatgerm Oil - SPF 20

Wheatgerm is packed with vitamins and minerals - namely Vitamin E, K & B - so it also acts as free radical preventer while it protects you from the sun.

Other Oils with SPF 10 or Less

There are a host of other oils with lesser SPF factors, but may be adequate for some more bronzed babes.
  • Macadamia Oil - SPF 6
  • Non-GMO Soybean Oil - SPF 10
  • Avocado Oil - 4 - 10 (can get as high as 15)
  • Olive Oil - 2-8
  • Shea Butter - 3 - 6
  • Almond Oil - SPF 5
  • Sesame Seed Oil - SPF 4
  • Hemp Seed Oil - SPF 6
  • Jojoba Oil - SPF 4
  • Coconut Oil - SPF 2 - 8

Use Caution When Using Natural Oils for Sunscreen

Since not all oils are created equal, the SPF can vary when it is on your skin. Determining the exact SPF factor of an oil is difficult, espeically given that natural oils oxidize (lose some of their medicinal properties) over time and when exposed to light. Ensure that you are purchasing your oils from a recommended source and always do your research.

Another note about UVA & UVB rays: Aside from Red Raspberry Seed Oil, most plant oils protect only against UVB rays. Use caution or mix with a non-nano sized zinc oxide formula (non-nano meaning it doesn't absorb into your skin).

Natural Oils That Contain SPF

Top 10 Natural Oils That Act as Sunscreens

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I have extremely tightly coiled natural 4b hair with medium porosity and fine to coarse strands.

My hair loves coconut oil for sealing and prepoos.

Grapeseed oil is great for sealing and prepoos.

Castor oil makes my scalp itch.

Olive oil is great for hot oil treatments, but it's too heavy for everyday use.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
The best oils for detangling so far are pumpkin seed oil, broccoli seed oil, and cold-pressed castor oil. I use these on wet hair, but castor can be used dry for matted parts.