Help with detangling hair

slw980205

I am in dyer need of advice regarding detangling my dry knotted hair. I have tried almost everything and am sick of having dry tangled hair. I have 4b shoulder length hair and am transitioning (5 months post). I tried detangling my hair with a shower comb with conditioner while the water was running on my head. I lost way too much hair. My hair is growing so nicely but that will not matter since I am unable to retain any. Is there a good moisturizer out there that will combat my incessant dryness and make my comb outs easier.

krissynick

the only way i detangling is with a conditioner... get a good conditioner.. let it sit for like 20 mins and then while u are rinsing it out use a wide tooth comb to GENTLY detangle.. make sure u get conditioner on every section of your hair...

janeemat

For me, I apply my conditioner with an applicator brush trying to cover all pieces of the hair. Then I put on my plastic cap and sit under the dryer at least 20 min. The heat makes a world of difference when I have a lot of ng. Just throwing it on in the shower does not work. I will then comb while the water is running over the hair to remove the tangles. Good luck.

1god1

I keep my hair in box braid and twists....I keep them in when I wash and when I want to straighten my hair, I will wait for it to dry and take down the braids. If you don't want to air dry, you can keep in the braids...how thick up to you...wash your hair....take them down afterwards and won't have too much breakage as you detangle and gently comb eash braid.

growth2come

you can try putting your hair in sections when washing. I usually put my hair in 6 sections, 3 on each side of my head with a parting in the middle of my head. After shampoo I put conditioner in each section of my hair and wear a shower cup. After a few minutes I take out each section out one at a time and slowly comb it out and then re-braid it until I do all the sections then rinse out. It takes a bit of time but I lose a bit less hair than washing the entire head all at once due to mad tangles....but you will have to make you put in lots of conditioner in the hair. Lots of luck on your next wash:yep:

~~HoneyComb~~

The way I detangle my natural hair is before I even let water touch it, I take a wide tooth comb, carefully section my hair into 6 sections (3 on each side), then I apply lots of condition to each section, brushing through with a denman brush, then after I comb a section I rebraid, and do the rest the same way. Afterwards I get in the shower and take down one braid, and let the water run through it until all the conditioner runs out (if you want you can take a little shampoo and gentle massage the scalp). Do not manipulate too much or this can cause lots of tangling. After I rinse and wash one braid, I rebraid it, and continue to do the rest. So at the end of the shower you should have 6 freshly washed and conditionend braids. I then wrap a towel around my head, and take down one braid put in my products and so forth until I have put whatever products on each braid. Doing my hair this was has caused me to lose very little hair, and although it sounds like a lot of work, the whole process should take no more than an hour. HTH

Barbara

Princess
After deep conditioning apply the following leave in treatment/detangler:

Infusium 23 (Repairology) :worship2:

It works very well in detangling my navel length type 4a/b hair. :circle: Thanks to my hair stylist's recommendation, I would have never considered using it. It gives very good slip, so I don't have to mix it with anything. I use the original formula, which can be found at Walmart. The large bottle is only $6.63 at (Walmart stores) in Los Angeles.

This is a definite "keeper." I highly recommend it. :woohoo:

lala

I use DECCA Plus Satin Tame on wet/dry hair to detangle. It works great. Also, Honeycomb's suggestion to apply conditioner to dry hair before detangling should help too. It sounds like you let your hair get too dry.

Whimsy

I use a few techniques. First, I am sure to have an oil/conditioner combo on my hair, my hair is sectioned into 4, i use a wide tooth comb, i comb from tip to root, gently and slowly under running water. If the water rinses out too much conditioner before my detangling's done, i'll apply more.

As for the dryness, try to moisturize daily.

Traycee

For me, I apply my conditioner with an applicator brush trying to cover all pieces of the hair. Then I put on my plastic cap and sit under the dryer at least 20 min. The heat makes a world of difference when I have a lot of ng. Just throwing it on in the shower does not work. I will then comb while the water is running over the hair to remove the tangles. Good luck.

Ditto.....this what I do also

nappity

Kinky- Curly Knot Today conditioner is an excellent detangler without cones or mineral oil- detangles my hair beautifully. Its 12.00 a bottle but worth so much more in hair retention and dryness. It can be used as a leave in too.