Need help with detangling!

musiclova

Hey ladies. I am still transitioning. It has been 4 months and I am loving the results that I get when I flexi rod and even when I straighten it BUT it gets so tangled after it is washed! I have had luck with CON Ultramoisture Poo but when I condition afterwards I think that the shampoo leaves a moisturizing coating on the hair that may prevent the conditioner from penetrating. I hope I'm explaining this clearly but I have even tried Kenra Moist. Poo and Conditioner and it works okay but I need more slip. I know it is because I am transitioning but I know there has to be a conditioner/shampoo that can help with detangling and moisture....Just wanted to add that I have some underprocessed areas where the hair is shedding and is shorter than my overall length. I don't really know what to do about the underprocessed areas but it has grown since I've noticed that it was breakage in that area. I just need some suggestions as to a good gentle protein conditioner for the shedding and a good moisturizing/detangling conditioner to combat this detangling that I am getting. Thanks in advance!

Leslie_C

hey,
Im not transitioning but Im 3 months post relaxer so I know what you are workin with! :) I would suggest either detangling before washing so that way the water doesnt tangle it more, or washing in 4-6 braided sections. CON seems to be the best shampoo when I have lots of new growth, and Ive also had luck with matrix sleek look poo and conditioner. At first I thought I didnt like the poo and loved the conditioner, but when I used the conditioner alone it didnt work(I had tangles badly).....when used as a combo it works great! I could comb my hair root to tip with ease. Before I wash I usually spray some s curl on it or a random moisturizer and detangle or at least finger comb it in 4 sections. also let the water from the shower help to detangle. when rinsing the conditioner, run your fingers thru your hair with the water running on it starting from the ends and working your way up the same way u would detangle afterwards.

the only other thing I can think of that really helps is a good leave in with slip, either pantene detangle spray or NTM silk touch works well....they do best for me if I apply it and let it soak in a few minutes before detangling.

and unless u want to comb out a handfull of hair, TAKE YOUR TIME! lol
with these techniques my hair loss when combing out has dramatically decreased.

HTH, good luck with it!

Leslie_C

oh yeah I forgot to say Porosity control conditioner has great slip as well but Im not sure how often it should be used.

BLESSED1

I alternate between Dove intensive moisture conditioner and Suave's milk & honey conditioner, these give my hair good slip. Sometimes I spray my hair with Just for Me detangler and that gets rid of any tangles I have. Also I wash & condition my hair while it's in 2 fat cornrows that keeps it from tangling and matting while I'm in the shower.

atlantatiffany

for detangling help have u thought about a leave in conditioner? kenra's leave in is the best i have ever tried. since u r transitioning u may want to try dumb blonde reconstructor. i was told it is very moisturizing for a light protien(learned this from supergirl) and it may helped with the relaxed part u have left.

musiclova

Thanks Leslie C and Blessed 1. You have been a big help. I have the NTM serum but I think I'll give some of the other products a try since I am still searching for a staple shampoo/conditioner but with my hair transitioning I guess it will change months from now. Thanks again!

Victorian

old head
I'm transitioning too, and the most important thing for me when detangling is the comb and the technique. Bad products may cause tangles, but once you find something that doesn't seem to be making your hair worse, it's all in the technique.

I do mine in 4 sections after it's been washed. I detangle ends first, then work my way up using the comb like a pick. Also, while I'm detangling with one hand, the other hand is holding on to the ends of the section and pulling the hair straight. This has become more and more important for me as my natural hair grows out. It's hard to see what is actually knotted and what's just curly hair unless you stretch it out.

I use a regular Goody detangling comb. It has really smooth teeth--possibly just because it's so old :lol: . I tried a comb with super wide teeth but it didn't seem to get all the knots out (maybe too wide?).

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
musiclova... do u have a jilbere shower comb or a K-Cutter comb? Those combs work wonders in detangling hair. I find it easiest to detangle my hair when I have LeKair Cholesterol Plus or a conditioner in my hair.

Tai

I co-sign on the Jilbere shower comb and K-cutter. Both help me. DDTA is my detangling lifesaver. It gives my hair incredible slip. Elucence and Tresemmé conditioners also make detangling a breeze for me. I am on a modified no-poo regimen but when I do use shampoo I use CON or Elasta's cremé conditioning shampoo.

mrslee

Love yourself first!
Poohbear said:
musiclova... do u have a jilbere shower comb or a K-Cutter comb? Those combs work wonders in detangling hair. I find it easiest to detangle my hair when I have LeKair Cholesterol Plus or a conditioner in my hair.

Poohbear your donut looks amazing!!!

caligirl

3 transitioning MUST HAVES:

1. Keracare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo
2. Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner (let in sit on your hair for an hour covered
by a plastic cap and towel)
3. K-Cutter!!!

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
I'm gonna agree with everyone else. A good comb and patience help out a lot. What I found helped me a lot is to detangle with my fingers first then use the comb. For a while I was in a phase where my hair would break off so badly when I detangled in the shower so during that time, I would put coconut or olive oil mixed with conditioner in my hair, let it sit for about 15 min with a covered cap then detangle before I wash. When I started doing this my tangles and hair breakage decreased dramatically.

Leslie_C

poohbear,

how did u make your donut? that looks really cute! I might have to give this a go! I dont like my own hair in buns bc it isnt that thick so my buns arent very full. this would cure that problem! this could be my style during the week at school. fill a sister in! :) did u use a foam donut and synthetic hair or one of those hair elastics with hair all the way around it? Id love to know how u accomplished the look!

musiclova

Thanks everybody! I'm going to try your suggestions and see what happens! I used to do the prepoo with V05 conditioner and honey but I guess I lost my patience and need to get it back so I can get this hair under control.