Hemp Oil Alters Drug Test?

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
After hearing many of you rave about hemp seed oil, I went on a quest to find it. Well, unfortunately, I have yet to find it but during my search, an AA lady asked if my job requires drug testing and the answer is yes. She then kindly advises that hemp seed oil can cause a false positive on drug tests and she wanted to forewarn me of such to ensure I'm aware of it. She went on to explain hemp oil contains active ingredients found in drugs and placing hemp oil on the scalp will absorb into the system and may cause a false positive drug reading. She indicated this is taught in their hair training classes and they are to inform everyone that purchases a hemp based product. She works at Trade Secret and I figure most of you either buy the hemp oil online or from a Whole Foods, which I don't have in my area so I was stopping to every hair related store possible which is how I ended up at Trade Secret. Being that most of you buy online or from Whole Foods, I'm unsure if they are sharing this with you and thought I bring this up for discussion.

Have you heard this before and is this true? (Side Note: When I dig back into memory, I somewhat recall a drug class given at my job that cautioned people from using products containing hemp so I think there may be some validity to this but unfortunately, I don't recall all the details because at that time, hemp was not even in my vocabulary).

I thought about asking my drug testing facility if the use of hemp oil is approved for safekeeping. Is this oil found in the cooking oil section or in the hair section just in case the drug testing facility inquires?

TIA!

choctaw

I buy Nutiva hemp seed oil at the Vitamin Shoppe, it is stored in the cooler. The hemp seed oil contains a tiny amount of THC (active ingredient of marijuana). If drug testing is a employment issue, use another oil, e.g. safflower oil, it contains a higher percentage of ceramides.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
From what I have read this is true, however so can poppy seeds. When doing a drug blood/urine test there is a specific % that is looked at to see if a person is a heavy user because just breathing in air can have a person looked at as a drug user.

I thought about asking my drug testing facility if the use of hemp oil is approved for safekeeping. Is this oil found in the cooking oil section or in the hair section just in case the drug testing facility inquires?

What do you mean by"safekeeping".

Also to answer your question hempoil is not in the cooking section or hair care section, hempoil is located in the vitamin/supplements section of the healthfood store.

Here is what I found on this site: http://www.nimbinwave.com/wordpress/facts/guide-to-hemp-oil

"Hemp seeds themselves do not contain THC. Rather, it is present in the flowers and their sticky resins may leave traces of THC on the seeds."

Last edited:

Beverly Ann Properties

I found hemp oil next to the sunflower oil in the cooking section of the DeKalb County Farmers Market. It is used for cooking. I guess more research is needed.

SimJam

does it matter if u only use it to seal?
hmmmm

and yes my hempseed oil is in the cooking section - along with olive, sunfloer and coconut oil

divachyk

I buy Nutiva hemp seed oil at the Vitamin Shoppe, it is stored in the cooler. The hemp seed oil contains a tiny amount of THC (active ingredient of marijuana). If drug testing is a employment issue, use another oil, e.g. safflower oil, it contains a higher percentage of ceramides.
Probably be my safest best since I'm military/govt affliated.

What do you mean by"safekeeping".
I was thinking of asking the drug testing facility about hemp oil to ensure I wouldn't get in trouble is what I meant by that phrase/word. My safest bet is just to find another oil.

lilikoi

I was worried about this too (I mean, I had a moment of PANIC) as my employer also tests. I was reassured after researching this issue.

Check out the Nutiva FAQ section (http://nutiva.com/faq/hemp-faq/). They (and other companies) are part of the TestPledge (google it) innitiative that certifies that the amount of THC in their products is low enough that normal consumption will not make you fail a test. If you're using it only topically on your hair the risk is even lower. Check your labels.

From the nutiva website:

Q. If I recently consumed hemp foods, could I fail a drug test?
A. If the only source of the psychoactive THC in your body is from hemp foods, produced from Canadian grown hemp seeds and eaten in reasonable quantities, it is virtually impossible to fail a drug test by ingesting hemp foods due to the fact that THC levels in our products are barely measurable.

The TestPledge program is a voluntary commitment by the North American hemp food industry to limit THC concentrations to levels where they cannot result in positive drug tests. Nutiva joined the TestPledge program in 2001. Nutiva’s hemp food products meet Canadian government and TestPledge standards for hemp foods.

We recommend that you read the TestPledge Answers page first. If you need more technical information please download and read the study summary “Evaluating Interference of THC in Hemp Food Products With Employee Drug Testing,” which was prepared by Gero Leson, D.Env. and Petra Pless. Please click here to download. (PDF file 21k)

10-17-07
Here is a recent e-mail we received about Nutiva Organic Hemp Protein powder and drug testing from a Department of Defense employee:

I work for the Department of Defense and was finally selected for random urinalysis after 18 years. I wasn’t the least bit worried – until that night when I went home to fix a fruit shake in which I use your hemp protein powder. As I took it out of the refrigerator, it suddenly occurred to me that it has a very small amount of THC in it. Having been a drug/alcohol abuse officer in the Air Force years ago, I understood the potential implications, including the fact that THC is detectable far longer than many drugs of abuse. I called Nutiva the next day, and was told that because you can’t ever know what other behaviors a customer may be engaging in, you cannot say for certain that your products could not cause a positive urinalysis for THC. However, I was assured that it was HIGHLY unlikely by itself – especially the protein powder because of the way it’s processed (i.e. lower oil content than some other products). I promised to provide you with feedback either way my test turned out. My understanding is that the Department of Defense uses state-of-the-art testing. I passed, despite using your hemp protein powder multiple times every week for months. I know it’s no guarantee, but it may relieve others who are not using illegal substances but who may be using your products, and become concerned about drug testing. Thanks.

divachyk

I was worried about this too (I mean, I had a moment of PANIC) as my employer also tests.
Excellent thank you for the information....I was kinda worried there for a minute. I've never used hemp but heard great things about it. My job give fair opportunity to list any factors that may alter the test before taking the test. I too am subject to random urinalysis.

Mari-Cris

Since joining the board, I have been more acutely aware of black women and their hairstyles. A few days ago, I saw a black woman in a store and she had her hair in a bun and the top of it was smoothed down nicely and had a wavy pattern to it. When she walked out the store, I got up enough courage to ask her what she had in her hair, and she told me ampro pro styl gel and indian hemp oil. She said, "My hair would not lay down like this if I didn't have these products in it."

I already have a supply of the ampro pro styl gel that I used to use for double twist styles, and now - after hearing more rave reviews - I think I will find some hemp oil. LOL! Fortunately, I do not get drug-tested.

Tiye

^^ Re: The Indian Hemp oil - I went looking for it coz it was recommended on a board years ago - she's probably referring to the grease - you can find it at any supermarket that has a decent selection of ethnic hair products and it may have just a dash of hemp oil in it.

I got my Hemp Oil in the baking aisle at Whole Foods so it is sold for consumption however I don't use it internally coz it's an intense shade of green which means it has a lot of the plant essence in it whether that's good or bad I don't know enough about it to say but to be on the safe side I use it externally. When I use it - it is part of a blend of oils and I don't use much hair oil so I'm of the opinion that it's harmless. It's on the pricey side and I won't be buying it again coz sunflower oil provides the same benefit (ceramides), is cheaper, and can also be used in the kitchen.

divachyk

"Hemp seeds themselves do not contain THC. Rather, it is present in the flowers and their sticky resins may leave traces of THC on the seeds."

sunflower oil provides the same benefit (ceramides), is cheaper, and can also be used in the kitchen.

If drug testing is a employment issue, use another oil, e.g. safflower oil, it contains a higher percentage of ceramides.

Which is a better alternative -- safflower or sunflower?

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
I dont know I have never used the other two, maybe you can purchase a small bottle of each and see how your hair responds. Whichever you dont like return it. After I read Haleys thread and usage of Hemp oil (and seeing her hair), thats the one I went for and it has worked fantastically for my hair and my DD's. The moisture retention is off the chain and the strands are very elastic but not too elastic where I feel protein is needed. It offers the perfect balance, I hope I never have to stop using it. I am going to try the others suggested to see if they offer the same results.

Last edited:

choctaw

Which is a better alternative -- safflower or sunflower?

ITA with Myjourney's statement, however, if you want ceramides, go for the oil with highest percentage that is available to you listed in Ceramides challenge post:

Oils high in ceramides...(Sorted by percentage)

Safflower oil 78%
Grape seed oil 73%
Poppyseed oil 70%
Sunflower oil 68%
Hemp oil 60%
Corn oil 59%
Wheat germ oil 55%
Cottonseed oil 54%
Soybean oil 51%
Walnut oil 51%
Sesame oil 45%
Rice bran oil 39%
Pistachio oil 32.7%
Peanut oil 32%

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
ITA with Myjourney's statement, however, if you want ceramides, go for the oil with highest percentage that is available to you listed in Ceramides challenge post:

Oils high in ceramides...(Sorted by percentage)

Safflower oil 78%
Grape seed oil 73%
Poppyseed oil 70%
Sunflower oil 68%
Hemp oil 60%
Corn oil 59%
Wheat germ oil 55%
Cottonseed oil 54%
Soybean oil 51%
Walnut oil 51%
Sesame oil 45%
Rice bran oil 39%
Pistachio oil 32.7%
Peanut oil 32%

These %'s are not of the amount of ceramides in the oils they are the %'s lineolic acids (one of the good fats, omega 6 to be exact)read post # 734 of this thread http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forum6/thread462088-19.htmlof t

Last edited:

divachyk

I dont know I have never used the other two, maybe you can purchase a small bottle of each and see how your hair responds. Whichever you dont like return it. After I read Haleys thread and usage of Hemp oil (and seeing her hair), thats the one I went for and it has worked fantastically for my hair and my DD's. The moisture retention is off the chain and the strands are very elastic but not too elastic where I feel protein is needed. It offers the perfect balance, I hope I never have to stop using it. I am going to try the others suggested to see if they offer the same results.
Do you still have the link to this thread?

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
Last edited:

UrbainChic

I would err on the side of caution and not use it.

I have heard people say that the poppy seed thing is a myth, but I have seen it proven true on various myth busting shows and documentaries. I would play it safe. Even if you aren't ingesting it, do remember your skin can absorb things.

sorry :nono:

gadgetdiva

Good to know this...its a shame though that such a great product for us who just want to have healthy hair can potentially cause our personal lives to be further scrutinized...the drug tests that are done randomly now can either be 2 strand hair or urine...my mothers job required both but then it could be that she works for a major pharmaceutical company.