Hemp Oil and Protein

HairBarbie

Does hemp oil contain protein?

I was trying to incorporate more ceramides into my hair since people rave about the benefits of it. The first time I used it, I prepooed with Hemp overnight, shampooed my hair, used the Aphogee 2 min reconstructor as my light protein treatment/conditioner for 5 minutes and then deep conditioned my hair with Humecto for 2 hours without heat.

And for the first time I can remember, I got major protein overload. The only difference in my regimen was the hemp oil. I did a few research and got conflicting information as to whether or not hemp has protein in it. Some say ceramides do not have protein and others say hemp oil does contain protein.

Hopefully you ladies will be able to clarify this information for me. Thanks in advance.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
Ceramides are meant to replenish the internal cuticle oil, hydrolysed protein patches up the cuticle surface. Source

Ceramides are not protein. Think of ceramides as cement/glue, and think of protein as wall spackle.

Last edited:

HairBarbie

Thanks. My hair used to eat up protein because it's highly porous. I guess ceramides really do decrease the need for protein, I didn't think it would be that fast quick though.

So even though Hemp seeds contain protein, Hemp oil is completely protein free?