Hendigo and the gray hair blues. Please Help!

Bella_Atl

I have been using Henna in my hair for the past year almost. Over time the henna has turned my hair a burgundy black with orangy brassy higlights due to my grays. I don't really like it anymore and my BF hates it. He says it reminds him of his grandma's hair back home. He's Iranian/Persian.

I wanted brown hair with lighter brown highlights in my grays so another poster suggest I used katam instead of indigo. I did and it didn't do much. My hair was still burgundy, maybe a little less, but my grays were still orange.

So last night I went ahead and mixed my henna 50/50 with indigo. I let the henna sit for 12 hours and then the indigo sit in a seperate bowl for 20 mins, mixed together and slept about 10 hours in the hendigo. My hair was darker but my grays were still orange!!

So this morning out of frustration I decided to do the second step process. I mixed more indigo, but I didn't want black hair, so I mixed my katam with it. 50/50. Put it on, left it in 3 hours. Now I have dark dark brown hair (which I like) with orange grays still!!!:wallbash: Aaarrgggghhh.

The orange highlights didn't look so bad with reddish burgundy hair but with dark almost black hair it looks weird. I'm graying around my hairline. Which is really frustrating and is why I wear bangs now. But if I want to wear all my hair pulled back in a ponytail my hair is brassy orange!!

So do I need to go all the way indigo black to completely cover my grays? I'm willing to do that now. Am I doing something wrong? Or is henna just not the way to cover grays.

I really don't want to use a commercial color. Help please!

lucea

I'm having the same issues.

My henna'ed grays have gone orange. I tried a cassia/katam/amla mix - which made my dark brown hair darker, and did absolutely nothing for the grays. Then, I used Sebastian Cellophanes Laminates in deep brunette for three weeks in a row - in addition to being drying - it made the henna'ed grays a fiery coppery red and the uncolored grays -strawberry blonde or red. Since I started cowashing daily, it's been rinsing out very quickly. I thought the deep brunette would give me a dark brown color, but my hair is just too resistant.

Ugh. I'm so frustrated. I love cassia - gives me great results, but I don't like the blonde color it gives my grays. I would love to avoid commercial dyes. I have been trying to get away from henna b/c it's just too permanent, but I'm really at a loss right now as to what I should do. I need something semi-permanent that really covers grays, with no PPDs. I've thought about using a color depositing conditioner or maybe using the katam with henna.

I feel your pain, girl. Grays are the debil.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I already know that henna doesn't work in the long run for gray hair, since my mother used to henna her hair for years. She had to stop when she started getting orange all over her head.

I don't really have any great advice, I think you either have to go gray or just start using artificial colors...

I'm so sorry this happened. I know exactly what he means - older people in the Middle East and Africa love their henna!

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I Always do the 2 Step to successfully cover gray.:yep:

It completely does cover my gray. I mix the Indigo with Warm/Hot Water and "Salt".:look:

I haven't have a problem covering my gray together and I don't feel my hair is overly or harshly black.:drunk:

For me, it's been a perfect solution to bottled color.:yep:

Bella_Atl

I Always do the 2 Step to successfully cover gray.:yep:

It completely does cover my gray. I mix the Indigo with Warm/Hot Water and "Salt".:look:

I haven't have a problem covering my gray together and I don't feel my hair is overly or harshly black.:drunk:

For me, it's been a perfect solution to bottled color.:yep:

I was really trying to avoid going black. But if you say it covers your grays I'll give it a try.

When I first started to henna I had switched to a commercial dye once and my hair shedded like crazy. I panicked and I switched back to the henna and I lost a LOT of hair. It didn't fall out in spots but it shedded badly all over. So if I switched to commercial I can't come back to henna until the old henna grows out.

That two step process just seems like such a long drawn out process. Henna sitting for 12 hours, then henna on your head 10 hours, then indigo 4 hrs. Geez. My gray grows in every 4 to 6 weeks. It's exausting!!

I did go out and buy some commercial dye with the bright idea of just coloring the grays around my hairline and henna the rest. But a little voice out of nowhere asked me "Do you want to be orange or do you want to be bald around your hairline?" So I decided that might not be a good idea.:lachen:

I will try the indigo later and deal with the orange for now. I've been messing with this henna for two days now. I'm tired.:sad:

madamdot

I switched from my mom from artificial color to Henna/Indigo and it works on her hair beautifully. I showed her how to do it. She really loves it and it has thicken up her hair.

But not for me. My hair seems to be color resistant or something. I have tried everything but my hair just laughs at it. It's really frustrating. I don't even have a lot of grays . . . I don't know what I am going to do when they start coming in hard core.

WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!? :cry:

janeemat

Maybe you can go see a professional colorist. My grays are coming real fast. I'm fighting them with semi and demi colors, but soon I'm going to embrace them.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
You should be fine doing the 2 step method. I use 1/3 Henna to 1/2 Indigo. Perfect results every time.

I think one of the key's for me has been less Henna & more Indigo. All you really need is the 'stain' from the Henna as something the Indigo can attach itself to.

Therefore, your ratio needs to be less henna/more indigo.

Last edited:

MelodicVessel

I agree with IDareT'sHair in her proportions. I use this on myself (gray on top) and my mother (gray all over) and it works fine. We both get dark reddish brown hair.

OP, one thing you said earlier is that you let the indigo sit for 20 minutes. Next time, you may want to apply it right away. I read somewhere that the color release degrades after 15 minutes or so.

HTH

ETA: my siggy is not what my hendigo'd hair looks like. These pics were from a dye job a while ago. Also, we only need 6 hours for the hendigo to work, but I guess each person is different.

Last edited:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I agree with IDareT'sHair in her proportions. I use this on myself (gray on top) and my mother (gray all over) and it works fine. We both get dark reddish brown hair.

OP, one thing you said earlier is that you let the indigo sit for 20 minutes. Next time, you may want to apply it right away. I read somewhere that the color release degrades after 15 minutes or so.

HTH

ETA: my siggy is not what my hendigo'd hair looks like. These pics were from a dye job a while ago. Also, we only need 6 hours for the hendigo to work, but I guess each person is different.

Right. @bolded.:yep: The dye releases from the Indigo rather quickly. I use apply within 5-10 minutes after mixing.

I wrap both in Saran Wrap. Actually, I wrap the Henna *for the stain* for about 2-3 Hours RINSE and then afterwards the Indigo for about 2 hours. It shouldn't take 12 hours:lachen::lachen:

And it lasts a long time and the End Results are beautiful.:yep:

My Friend

Can someone suggest which brand I should use if I prefer more of a brown gold color instead of black? Also, what should I mix it with? TY

Bella_Atl

Right. @bolded.:yep: The dye releases from the Indigo rather quickly. I use apply within 5-10 minutes after mixing.

I wrap both in Saran Wrap. Actually, I wrap the Henna *for the stain* for about 2-3 Hours RINSE and then afterwards the Indigo for about 2 hours. It shouldn't take 12 hours:lachen::lachen:

And it lasts a long time and the End Results are beautiful.:yep:

I slept in my henna because I thought it would take to my grays better. So I would leave the henna in about 10 hours. But I'm going to try the indigo again witht he salt.

For the light gold tones I think the katam is good if you are starting with light hair already. But I'm obviously no expert!

Last edited:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I slept in my henna because I thought it would take to my grays better. So I would leave the henna in about 10 hours. But I'm going to try the indigo again witht he salt.

(And warm/hot water) All you really need from the Henna is that initial stain. So you really don't have to leave it in overnight. You only need something for the Indigo to "grab".:yep:

You should be able to successfully do the entire process in 4-6 hours.:yep:

*don't forget to wrap hair in saran wrap* :yep:

MelodicVessel

(And warm/hot water) All you really need from the Henna is that initial stain. So you really don't have to leave it in overnight. You only need something for the Indigo to "grab".:yep:

You should be able to successfully do the entire process in 4-6 hours.:yep:

*don't forget to wrap hair in saran wrap* :yep:

:yep:This lady knows what she's talking about!:yep:

OP, don't forget you can make batches of henna and freeze the unused portions. That way, you don't have to wait for the henna color to release each time (but you do have to wait for it to unthaw:ohwell:).

But you cannot freeze the indigo mixture, though.

frizzy

I've noticed that when my henna mix is thicker, it stains better.

Has anybody besides me touch up their roots only, sometimes? I do this when I don't feel like or need a full-head application. Just part it off and apply to the roots only.

Sitting with a plastic cap under the dryer or a heat cap should speed up the staining more.

OP- I thought when I came in this thread that you had indigoed without henna and your grays had turned blue! :lol:

NJoy

Here I grow again!
I'm so glad you posted this BellaAtl! I'm planning my first henna/indigo on Tuesday and you're getting some great advice.

IDareT'sHair, I'm gonna have you on speed dial, my dear. :grin: Running to make sure you're on my friend's list.

I'm looking forward to seeing what results I get. BronxJazzy's posted results has me sold!! :yep:

Tiye

I've noticed that when my henna mix is thicker, it stains better.

Has anybody besides me touch up their roots only, sometimes? I do this when I don't feel like or need a full-head application. Just part it off and apply to the roots only.

Sitting with a plastic cap under the dryer or a heat cap should speed up the staining more.

OP- I thought when I came in this thread that you had indigoed without henna and your grays had turned blue! :lol:

Yep - all the time - henna that is. I couldn't deal with the full head application every time. I used saran wrap or plastic cap. I don't have a heat cap but I'd sit outside in the sun, or in winter wrap my head in cashmere scarves for heat. This improved the quality of the stain but it didn't make it happen any faster than 3 hours. I have not tried indigo.

Aggie

OP, IDTH is right. I have my whole hendigo recipe and process in my fotki and I really feel you should take a look at it for additional help. DO NOT ALLOW THE INDIGO TO SIT AFTER MIXING. It must be applied to either your hair or henna mix immediately after mixing. There is no color release in indigo. It gets it's ability to color stain your hair from pre-stained/dyed henna'ed hair.

The sea salt is the trick to getting a darker color from the indigo. The henna and indigo should be fresh and not expired to work well. The mixture should be of a yogurt consistency and not too thin or thick. Amla powder added to the henna mix helps with darker staining as well.

I have had and continue to have major success with the recipes in my fotki. If you do not want a really black color, then as Terri said, try altering your measurements of the henna to indigo ratio to include less henna and more indigo.

I like henna and indigo for coloring my hair because they are safe enough to be used every week if I choose to without causing any damage. I use diluted corn starch in my indigo to make it adhere better to my hair. This is all in my fotki album.

Bella_Atl

Hendigo blues...Ha. I get it. I wish I was that clever.:lachen:

I did figure out why my indigo mix wasn't taking. I froze it!! I just assumed I could freeze it like the henna until one poster said not to and I just googled it.
Freezzing indigo and katam kills the dye release. So that's why it wasn't taking!:wallbash:

Last edited: