My gray hairs are now red...

zzirvingj

...after henna-ing and indigo-ing my hair. I left the indigo in my hair for 3 hours after henna-ing it. I reallllly hope next time ALL of the grays turn black. Should I have left the indigo in even longer??

zzirvingj

Did you put salt in your mix?

I use Aggie recipe for my DH's hair. Turns out jet black every time. No red greys. He would hate that!

My Indigo Mixture for After-Henna Treatment album | LadyAggie is Texlaxed Again - Sept 12, 2010 | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.

I forgot the salt!!!

But for what it's worth, last time I did henna and indigo I used salt and I had the same problem. I actually had more red hairs the first time I did it but I left the indigo in for less time. Plus, I just figured it was because it was the first time I'd done it and maybe I missed some hairs...

D.Lisha

@zzirvinj: Ok, so this had absolutely NOTHING to to with the thread, but I was checking our your siggy and I just gotta say...your costume is BAD A$$. I find it ironic that I saw the picture because I was just looking at Kill Bill yesterday (love, love, love that movie)....that lil chinese school gurl is my favorite out of all of the "crazy 88" crew :yes:
Btw, did you use ur Real hair to achieve her look? It really fits you well.

jenaccess

In my experiences with henna, rinses, semi permanent hair color they all have turned the gray hair gold or red depending on what color was used. Only permanent haircolor turned my gray hairs black themm that would fade over time.

zzirvingj

@zzirvinj: Ok, so this had absolutely NOTHING to to with the thread, but I was checking our your siggy and I just gotta say...your costume is BAD A$$. I find it ironic that I saw the picture because I was just looking at Kill Bill yesterday (love, love, love that movie)....that lil chinese school gurl is my favorite out of all of the "crazy 88" crew :yes:
Btw, did you use ur Real hair to achieve her look? It really fits you well.

Thanks girlie!

Yea, I heard it was on tv yesterday; a couple of people text mssged me or wrote me on facebook about it since I just went as her for Halloween LOL. I just happen to have the DVD and have watched it more times than I wish to admit lol...

But no, I bought a wig so I would have her bangs. Here was the full costume:

zzirvingj

i was thinking the same thing. it almost sounds like it would be cute to wear as highlights

The only thing is I don't have "that" many grays. And the ones I have aren't long strands of gray, they are hairs that have just started to turn gray. So it's like I have a few red roots just randomly throughout my hair *sigh*

It's really not enough for the average person to notice. I think I got 90% of the grays to go black. Next time I hope it's more like 99% is all...

zzirvingj

^^^Wow! You really look just like her!

Thanks, lol...alot of people couldn't remember her name from the movie (Gogo Yubari) so they just kept on coming up to me saying, "Kill Bill! You're that chick from Kill Bill!" lol...

D.Lisha

Thanks, lol...alot of people couldn't remember her name from the movie (Gogo Yubari) so they just kept on coming up to me saying, "Kill Bill! You're that chick from Kill Bill!" lol...

Lol, i would have said the same thing :yep:
And don't feel bad gurl...I've worn that movie out myself....smh. It NEVER get's old. And Gogo was bad a$$ with that ball and chain. She was the most gansta out of all of the crazy 88 if you ask me lol.

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
I'm sorry that happened. When I henna's my grays were pink. I would have thought the indigo would help but at least it's not pink. I need to check out the salt recipe b/c one day I want to indigo.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
Don't say I didn't warn you! Just kidding!
Henna and gray hair is not a great combo for most people.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
Really?? I don't think I knew that? Why not?

I guess it depends on the individual, but I've seen a lot of people with the type of brassy highlights that you described after using henna. My mother hennaed for years and years when she was younger and she eventually had to stop because she started to look like Ronald McDonald. :grin:

I know there are tips and tricks to combat the orangey tones, hopefully someone will come in here with all the tricks of the henna masters. :)

choctaw

I have gray hairs scattered all over my head. A cassia treatment turned them gold. The first full henna treatment changed them to a dark copper. I never thought of using indigo because I'm concentrating on conditioning

2sweetnsugarland

...after henna-ing and indigo-ing my hair. I left the indigo in my hair for 3 hours after henna-ing it. I reallllly hope next time ALL of the grays turn black. Should I have left the indigo in even longer??
I had the same problem for about a year. I finally figured out what was wrong. Before I started my henna/indigo process I did not clarify my hair enough. I just washed my hair with whatever shampoo I had but you need to use a clarifying shampoo to get rid of EVERYTHING. Once I did that I used my henna that I had mixed up the day before with orange juice and conditioner. Let the henna sit on my hair for 3-4 hours. Rinsed it out. Put my indigo on that was mixed with hot water, kept the indigo on for 45 min - 1 hour. Rinsed it out then lightly shampooed and then deep conditoned for 1 hour. My hair came out super soft and a really natural looking black that I love. I have alot of gray hair especially in front and in the crown area of my head so I have to keep them colored. Hope this helps!!! Don't give up on the henna! :)

Last edited: