Henna 101

TiZi

Can we start a henna 101 (henna for dummies) thread.:look: I want to henna my hair but I have no idea where to start. I have been reading threads and have become quite confused.

Maybe there already is one and I just need the link. My questions are as follows....

Will henna will loosen my natural curl pattern? If yes is that permanent?

Regarding color I understand cassia and that it is not neutral but will not show up on darker hair only on lighter and grays....but the conditioning effects are weaker than standard henna?

If coloring is non-negotiable what kind of henna do I use to only darken my already blck/brwn hair?

I also read something about mahogany brown henna??

Where do I buy henna?

What is the process??

What extra products are needed? oils, lemon juice coffee?

As you can see I know nothing...Please someone take me under your wing.

MsBoinglicious

Okay i just bought henna the other day and was gonna do it this weekend. i have been asking questions and i am a little confused but i think i get it.

Will henna will loosen my natural curl pattern? If yes is that permanent?
I heard that in most it will loosen the curl pattern. I guess it is temp and will wear off as the henna fades but from what i understand if the henna loosens your hair you would use Cassia Henna over it (it is known to make the hair shiney and waves/curls pop to life).

Regarding color I understand cassia and that it is not neutral but will not show up on darker hair only on lighter and grays....but the conditioning effects are weaker than standard henna?
Yes i heard the Cassia is a weaker version of henna. It conditons but not as much as henna does. and the color is like a yellowish good for blond headed folks.

If coloring is non-negotiable what kind of henna do I use to only darken my already blck/brwn hair?
You would henna your hari then follow up with Indigo (which would give a blue black or jet black color).

I also read something about mahogany brown henna??
I believe if you mix the henna and indigo together at the same time it will give off a brown color depeneding on the mixture ratio.

Where do I buy henna?
I got mine from www.Mehandi.com they are kinda expensive but i just went with them because they get such great recs from the ladies on here.

What is the process??
I watched some youtube vids and I think it goes...
Mix Henna (what ever the recipe) let sit for about 8-12 hrs.
Wear gloves.
Apply to sectioned dry or damp hair.
Let sit for 4+hrs under plastic wrap/bag.
Rinse (with a conditioner).
Deep Condition.
If you are going for black then you would...
mix indigo with water.
Let sit for 10 minutes.
Wear gloves.
Apply to hair immediately.
let sit for about 60-90 minutes.
Rinse.

What extra products are needed? oils, lemon juice coffee?
From what i understand you can use all of those depending on your recipe.
Lemons makes the dye release faster.
But since lemon juice is drying people add oil(which is suppose to help the henna stain darker as well) and conditioner to the mix to help with the dryness.
And coffee i am not sure of.

Anyone, feel free to correct me on anything that may be wrong with the posted above.

Last edited:

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
Here is my mix, for two (2) treatments:

- make about 32-ozs of green tea (4 bags - I use liptons) the night before and let it seep overnight until you are ready to use it. I've had the tea seeping for up to two days.
The next day, mix the following:
- 200g of baq henna
- 1 14-oz can of coconut milk. DO NOT SHAKE THE CAN. You want to add only the milk, not the water at the bottom.
- a few heaping tablespoon fulls of full fat plain yogurt.

Start mixing.
- slowly add the green tea to the consistency that you like (I like mine like yogurt), and I don't usually use all of the tea.
- when you've reached the consistency that you like (it will be VERY lumpy, so don't make yourself crazy about getting it smooth), add honey. I've nevered measured how much honey, but a guess would be about 4-6 tablespoons(?).
- mix well
- separate into two plastic bowls, cover and freeze.

When you are ready to use, take one bowl out of the freezer and defrost for about of 12 hours (optimum dye release). Once it is defrosted it will be EXTREMELY smooth and lump free. Stir it up a little and apply.

I take mine out on Friday morning when I leave for work at about 4:00am and apply after work at about 6:00pm and sleep overnight with it.

Don't forget to ALWAYS wear gloves & ALWAYS, ALWAYS deep condition after a henna treatment.

Last edited: