Henna Help! I Need To Tap Into All your Great Knowledge!

Hey

I just recieved my henna today. i got 100g of 'Ayur Rajasthani Henna'
its dark brown and 100% natural from India.

to mix i want to keep it simple with the henna powder, water egg
& castor oil. you think thats ok?

my plan is to mix the night before apply the following day leave in then shampoo throughly deep condition, leave in condition let it air dry then moisturise. this good too?

Also could you tell me about your henna experiences? has it benefitted you? results?

I have extremely coarse 4b hair that is NL. i have done plenty of research but would feel even better if i herd of your experiences. Any advice? Any kind of help is greatly apprciated as itll be my first henna!

thanks

JustKiya

I'd suggest henna, water, letting the color release, and then adding conditioner to it, and then applying to your head. The additional conditioner reduces the drying aspects of henna, as well as makes it rinse out easier.

Egg? Really? I would only use egg in henna if my hair realllllly liked (or needed) protein.

Your plan sounds good - some people like to pre-poo with oil before using henna, but I've never found the need. Henna can be stripping/cleansing, so you might not need the shampoo, but that'll depend on your hair.

I love henna - did one over the weekend, in fact. I've got 4b natural hair, and I've been using it for a couple of years, now.

yeh my hair needs protein pretty soft n mushy at the moment! would i add the conditioner after leaving it to set or before?

thnks x

JustKiya

JustKiya,

What brand of henna do you use?

I use FromNatureWithLove's Henna - it's BAQ, finely sifted, releases quickly, and cheap.

yeh my hair needs protein pretty soft n mushy at the moment! would i add the conditioner after leaving it to set or before?

thnks x

After leaving it to set - mix the conditioner in right before you apply the henna to your hair. :yep:

Since this is your first henna, I'd still suggest skipping the egg - you want to see how straight henna acts on your hair before you start getting complex/fancy. ;)

naturalgurl

Everything JustKiya said. SKIP the egg. Trust us on this one, see how your hair reacts to henna. You'll understand why after you henna and the mushiness will be GONE.

angelp

I did my first henna treatment this weekend and loved it! I followed Lavender's recipe except I put in Nexxus Humectress and V05 conditioners with the henna along with water and cinnamon. After I let it set overnight, I added coconut oil and amla oil right before I applied the henna. I can't wait to do my next treatment. Next time, I'll add the conditioner at the end and see if there's a difference.

natstar

I hennaed for the first time a couple weeks ago and I really like the result. I have done 2 hennas so far using curlynikki's method-u can get more info from her blog at www.curlynikki.com. I make some tweaks tho for me..

Instead of mixing in honey at the time I apply, I use molasses cause I want to keep a darker color. Also-when I mix my tea into my henna powder, I use a hand held blender and I get a smooth consistency in a short period of time.

For my next henna this weekend, instead of shampooing before hand, I think I will just wash with conditioner, then apply my henna, let sit overnight, rinse and DC for an hour. I have also found that when I am rinsing out henna, Herbal Essences conditioners work better for me than using Vo5-I dunno why but it takes less work to rinse the henna out

ETA: I like henna cause it gives more weight to my fine natural strands, I get awesome shine and color (no more dull looking hair). I hope you find a method that works for you-it may take a couple of sessions but it gets really easy. Remember to keep it simple though. Also-leave out the egg.

Last edited:

KLomax

I use FromNatureWithLove's Henna - it's BAQ, finely sifted, releases quickly, and cheap.

After leaving it to set - mix the conditioner in right before you apply the henna to your hair. :yep:

Since this is your first henna, I'd still suggest skipping the egg - you want to see how straight henna acts on your hair before you start getting complex/fancy. ;)

Me too JustKiya ...I mix about 1/4 cup w/ hot tap water and slap it on my head for about 1 hr....I don't wait for it to release and it still works !!!!... I follow w/ indigo(I :love3: it black )..here's pic following henna/indigo