Henna Question

nychaelasymone

sorry ladies but the henna threads are so long......

but will regular henna (i.e Jamila brand) simply intensify my current hair color? I'm slightly confused since I've seen Rainbow brand henna come in colors and I've read some of the henna threads on this site....someone please help me. I don't want to wake up with green hair.

regular henna is a conditioner and strengthens the hair, I should make sure I do a deep moisture treatment at the conclusion of a henna treatment and only apply henna to clean damp hair. Lemon juice and or apple cider vinegar will also help the color adhere to the hair.....

Also, I understand that the Indigo hair color will make the hair appear jet black and can either be mixed with henna or used after a henna treatment to make the hair black. I shouldn't sleep with indigo in my hair but I can sleep with regular henna on my hair.

Do I understand correctly?

Thanks!

nychaelasymone

ok think I figured it out....Rainbow brand Henna in Persian Black is just Henna mixed with indigo....so maybe I'll try that....may not sleep in it but leave it in for a few hours.....if any one has any reviews/comments/or concerns about this product please share....thanks!

Pompous Blue

nychaelasymone
What does the direction on the box say? To mix with water and appply?

I'm not familiar with that brand. But if it's the 1st time you're using it, I would just mix with water and immediately apply it to clean har. And leave it on for 3 - 4 hours.

Afterwards I would do a DC overnight or with heat.

I use regular henna (Jamila and Karishma) and they both turn my brown hair red. It's a pretty color, but I don't like red hair. So, I add Katam or natural cocoa powder to my mix to keep my hair dark brown. Some people do henna and just get a slight red coloring or halo.

HTH

greenandchic

I have to advise against using Rainbow brand.

The first time I tried it in the early '90s (my first henna experience), it was a nightmare rinsing it out. It took several weeks before the henna was completely out of my hair. It is not finely sifted or filtered.

The second & third time I used it (shame on me), I had the same experience. It was also very drying on my hair. Just google reviews for "Rainbow Henna reviews" and you'll probably never see a positive review.

BAQ (body art quality) henna like Jamila is your best bet. If you want black hair, you could do a henna/indigo treatment.

Tiye

I've tried rainbow brand. I didn't have problems with it, BUT vis a vis color it didn't work - i.e. i didn't get a black color out of it coz it doesn't have enough indigo in it. To get indigo black, I do full henna treatment then follow up with a full indigo treatment. I got my indigo from a vendor on amazon.

But I do know a white woman who uses rainbow and it works fine for her. So I think it has to do with the type of hair.

Whimsy

I'm trying Jamila for the first time this weekend. I'm hoping it doesn't give too much red to my hair, I don't have any indigo left to put over it :(

JazzyOleBabe

I agree with greenandchic. I had the worse time getting the twigs, sticks, sand and other fine particles out of my hair. After several weeks of hair washing, it was all gone. This is not finely softed and you can see the particles in it when you mixing it. Get the body art quality product because it is very fine and sifted well. Run away from the Rainbow Brand.

star78

I'm trying Jamila for the first time this weekend. I'm hoping it doesn't give too much red to my hair, I don't have any indigo left to put over it :(

I'm sitting here 2hrs into applying Jamila henna on my hair. This is my first time ever doing a henna treatment and I'm sitting here anxiously waiting to see how it turns out. I plan on keeping it in for another two hours. I mixed mine with Amla and Brahmi powder. I was excited to try this but I just read some horror stories from those who tried henna and had their hair fall out due to the henna drying their hair out and resulting in damaged hair with a lot of split ends. :nono:

I did condition my hair before putting the henna in. I have VO5 to help wash it out and will do a DC under my hooded dryer for an hour and then leave it in for another hour. I just hope my results are positive because I did notice that my hair was starting to feel hard while applying it.

JazzyOleBabe

star78

I read in the henna for hair info that you should not use conditioner before putting the henna in your hair. It might block the color uptake. However the rest of your regimen seem fine to me. I think that you will have postive results.

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

Jamila users:
anyone concerned about MEHANDI.COM 's claims (reported on curlynikki) that they are not currently restocking JAMILA due to independent laboratory testing showing much higher contaminant levels than reported & expected by the company?

star78

star78

I read in the henna for hair info that you should not use conditioner before putting the henna in your hair. It might block the color uptake. However the rest of your regimen seem fine to me. I think that you will have postive results.

I read that it was better to co-wash instead of using shampoo to help combat the drying effect of the henna. Perhaps that wasn't the thing to do? In any case, it all turned out well and I was looking forward to doing another treatment in 2 weeks until I read the above post about Jamila henna contamination?? Now, I am worried... :perplexed

nychaelasymone

well ladies I used Rainbow and liked it. I did have to let some conditioner sit awhile on my hair before all the henna rinsed out but I liked it. I also used a brand called NUPUR and it has all these lovely extra conditioning ingredients but it didn't rinse out as well as the Rainbow. I now have some Jamila and will wait a few more weeks before trying it out....people have been complimenting me on how lush my hair looks so whatever is in this stuff is working or I'm just hella good at flexi rods on natural hair.

nychaelasymone

@nychaelasymone
What does the direction on the box say? To mix with water and appply?

I'm not familiar with that brand. But if it's the 1st time you're using it, I would just mix with water and immediately apply it to clean har. And leave it on for 3 - 4 hours.

Afterwards I would do a DC overnight or with heat.

I use regular henna (Jamila and Karishma) and they both turn my brown hair red. It's a pretty color, but I don't like red hair. So, I add Katam or natural cocoa powder to my mix to keep my hair dark brown. Some people do henna and just get a slight red coloring or halo.

HTH

Yup, mix with water and apply. It also gives you other suggestions to bring out the color...like adding lemon juice or vinegar.