Henna Users and protein

mrshicks2002

For those that henna your hair. Are you still using protein in any of your other products and how often are you using it or your using all other products that are moisturizing.

Since I am doing henna once a month I was wondering if that was enough protein because I dont want to run into protein overload and just make sure that everything else that I use needs to be moisturizing such as my shampoo, conditioners, and for deep conditoners.

I dont know of any leave in that doesnt have protein in it so if someone know of any could your please let me know.

preciousjewel76

IMO, henna shouldn't be used as a sole replacement for protein. You should still use a protein reconstructor regularly. It really depends on your hair whether you need to use a leave-in, conditoner, or other products with protein, though. My hair tends to accept protein-based products very well, so I use them often. Your hair may have different tolerances for protein. You may need to experiment to find out what works for you.

mrshicks2002

preciousjewel76 said:
IMO, henna shouldn't be used as a sole replacement for protein. You should still use a protein reconstructor regularly. It really depends on your hair whether you need to use a leave-in, conditoner, or other products with protein, though. My hair tends to accept protein-based products very well, so I use them often. Your hair may have different tolerances for protein. You may need to experiment to find out what works for you.

Thanks. I am still trying to get this all together because I am trying to balance between moisture and protein.

I just checked out your fotki and I am loving the hair color in the picture with your updo with the flexi 8 clip. Was that color a result from you using henna?

preciousjewel76

mrshicks2002 said:
Thanks. I am still trying to get this all together because I am trying to balance between moisture and protein.

I just checked out your fotki and I am loving the hair color in the picture with your updo with the flexi 8 clip. Was that color a result from you using henna?

Yeppers!:grin:

Jas123

The Star of a Story
preciousjewel76 said:
I definitely recommend still using a protein conditioner even though you use henna..you may not need a strong conditioner like aphogee, but a protein conditioner nevertheless..HTH

Lady Esquire

great thread. my henna arrived nearly a week ago but i have yet to do my very first treatment, 'cause i was low on lemon/lime juice in the house, and all week I kept forgetting to purchase some.

anyway, today i did a protein treatment with ORS Hair Mayo mixed w/one egg. it felt kind of hard afterwards, so i rinsed it out with my Nexxus Humectress and followed by my rollerset...

now, i was planning on doing my very first henna during my midweek co-wash, which is usually 3-4 days after my weekly deep conditioning treatment....is that too soon??? right after my protein DC to henna for the first time??

Last edited:

Arcadian

lot of ladies here skip using lemon because they can be quite drying. I use cassia and use hot water and conditioner (I also still do weekly protien treatments)

-A

Lady Esquire

Arcadian said:
lot of ladies here skip using lemon because they can be quite drying. I use cassia and use hot water and conditioner (I also still do weekly protien treatments)

-A

Arcadian, can I skip the cassia and simply use hot water? What are the benefits of cassia?

sareca

Jas123 said:
I definitely recommend still using a protein conditioner even though you use henna..you may not need a strong conditioner like aphogee, but a protein conditioner nevertheless..HTH

Same here. I don't need aphogee or emergencee (although I occassionally still use them). I stick to light proteins.

HERicane10

LadyEsquire said:
Arcadian, can I skip the cassia and simply use hot water? What are the benefits of cassia?

I'm sure Arcadian will jump back in soon! But the henna treatment yields a stronger yet more moisturized treatment without the lemon/lime. I've never used either and have had excellent results......SOFT, STRONG, SHINY hair. With just a mix of henna, hot water, and honey (& ocassionally some coconut oil).;)

Lady Esquire

HERicane10 said:
I'm sure Arcadian will jump back in soon! But the henna treatment yields a stronger yet more moisturized treatment without the lemon/lime. I've never used either and have had excellent results......SOFT, STRONG, SHINY hair. With just a mix of henna, hot water, and honey (& ocassionally some coconut oil).;)

ok great. i will not use lemon juice, 'cause my goal is softer stronger hair. i will try your mix w/the honey and coconut oil or jojoba oil. thanks HERicane. ;)

Mestiza

HERicane10 said:

Henna mixes w/o lemon or ACV still work wonderfully on my hair, also.

Lavendar

No lemon juice or ACV. It can make your hair hard and tangly. You could try EO's like rosemary, sage, or lavender....they are good for hair growth, but they aren't necessary either. You can get color release with warm water. Try adding your oils just before you apply to the hair, after the color has released. Blessings!;)

Arcadian

HERicane10 said:

^^^what she said:D Personally I don't want the color (though I DO like what henna can do!)So I use cassia instead. Cassia still gives me the strength and conditioning I want sans color.

IMO I'd keep the recipe simple at least the first time out just so you know how your hair will react to it by itself.

-A

Lady Esquire

Arcadian said:
^^^what she said:D Personally I don't want the color (though I DO like what henna can do!)So I use cassia instead. Cassia still gives me the strength and conditioning I want sans color.

IMO I'd keep the recipe simple at least the first time out just so you know how your hair will react to it by itself.

-A

Thanks guys. I will be sure to take pics of my results.