Henna and protein treatment ()

Joss

After a year on my HHJ, I still feel anxious each time am doing a protein treatment, although henna is not a protein but it make my hair stronger for longer, my Question is it ok to henna instead of protein, am scared of protein overload,no no} any suggestion will be appreciated. thank you x

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Last edited:

Joss

I also add indigo why am at it, to get a jet black, but I henna for the strength it give, lol

crazytrish75

I was real nervous about protein when I started my HHJ, too after reading all the horror stories. I also henna and was sooo afraid of overdoing it. However, as time went on, I found that henna acts like a protein treatment, but really isn't a subsitute for one. My hair kept wanting to break when I washed it and started feeling real mushy. So I just learned to balance my henna and protein treatments. i just henna every 5-6 weeks and I avoid protein the week before and after. Then I just use light protein treatments such as Aphogee 2 minute and Aubrey Organics Glycogen Protein Balance. I do heavy duty protein every 10 weeks or so. Just up your moisture game and you should be ok.

I don't know if you are relaxed or natural (I am bonelaxed) so make sure you protein accordingly. I believ relaxed heads require more protein. My hair really didn't take off until I got that balance though. Now I am noticing a huge difference in health :yep:

I also want to add, that people say henna acts as a protein because it is drying, like protein treatments can be. And it does make the hair stronger. But I always do a very good moisturizing dc with heat after both henna and protein and my hair is doing great. Most times, henna drys the hair because of the stuff people add to it (such as lemon to release the dye). I keep it very simple, just henna and hot water. The Henna thread has lots of great info! HTH!

Joss

Thanks a lot, for taking time to write all this, my hair is relax and have being in braids for 6 weeks am hoping to take it down in 2 weeks that's why i was wounding which one I should do first lol, the henna threads I have seen is either it's just henna or just protein, I could not find any thread were those are put together, !!!

Joss

Am not sure if it is something am not doing right or maybe is the fear of overdoing the protein or what, cos when I do a protein treatment after 3 to 4 day of moisturising my hair is mush again, I don't get this with henna. !!!! Is your hair natural or relax ? Thank u. !!!

Joss

I have head good things about that Aubrey organics. Even if I can find it here in UK, I know it's going to cost arm an a leg haha, !!!!

crazytrish75

I am relaxed, (bone straight). I love AO HSR!! :lick: If u have been in braids for 6 weeks, I would think you probably need a good protein treatment. My hair would mush up too just a few days post protein treatment. I was so scared of overload, I would not use the light treatments often enough. I keep a little pocket calendar to keep track of everything and I was using light protein every 2-3 weeks. It was NOT enough. When I upped it to once a week, it really turned my hair around.

Also, to help combat dryness, I searched for the perfect leave-in, and one night, deciding to use up all the conditioners I had sitting around from my early PJ days, I started just using dc's that I had tried and were just "ok, but not great" as a leave in. When I discovered AO HSR, that's all I want to dc with. I LOVE using the dc's as a leave-in!! i just use a quarter-sized amount and seal with EVCO. LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!:lick: It really turned my scraggly ends around and uses up all this stuff I have.

What protein treatment(s) are you using?

Joss

For protein I use Aphogee 2 minute reconstrutctor and motions CPR protein reconstrutctor, I also use hair mayo, I don't think any of this is strong enough, what is this AO HSR? Yes I thought am gonna need protein even although I wish henna could take the place of protein Lol, is there a good
Protein conditioner I can buy ? Not Aphogee 2 step, something easy to apply but effective,thank u,!!!!!