Henna? Why Not Just Rinse?

TowsonGirl

I'm confused about this henna thing :perplexed , maybe you knowledgeable ladies can enlighten me. From what I gather, its a rather complicated (well more complex than just putting a rinse on your hair) process, and you have to measure things, and put some people put different ingredients in theirs.

Also, from the henna thread, a lot of ppl do theirs one a wk or every other week. Why do you guys (who henna) put color on your hair every week if you could just put a rinse on it and call it a day for a whole month?

Dont get me wrong, I'm not coming down on henna, I've never done it, just curious as to why its held in such high regard over other coloring methods. And how is it better than a rinse?

Keen

TowsonGirl said:
I'm confused about this henna thing :perplexed , maybe you knowledgeable ladies can enlighten me. From what I gather, its a rather complicated (well more complex than just putting a rinse on your hair) process, and you have to measure things, and put some people put different ingredients in theirs.

Also, from the henna thread, a lot of ppl do theirs one a wk or every other week. Why do you guys (who henna) put color on your hair every week if you could just put a rinse on it and call it a day for a whole month?

Dont get me wrong, I'm not coming down on henna, I've never done it, just curious as to why its held in such high regard over other coloring methods. And how is it better than a rinse?

I think the praise for henna has been about the benefits for hair not the color. If you are using henna, you may get some color anyway (unless you use Cassia). if you don't use the indigo or coffee, you may endup with red hair because that is the natural coloring of henna.

Aalize

People aren't doing it for the the coloring effects. They are doing it for the conditioning and/or coloring effects.

Please take the time to read the existing threads on Henna.

*Frisky*

Keen said:
I think the praise for henna has been about the benefits for hair not the color. If you are using henna, you may get some color anyway (unless you use Cassia). if you don't use the indigo or coffee, you may endup with red hair because that is the natural coloring of henna.

This is probably true for the most part although personally the best thing I like about henna is the color. The reduceded shedding and the strengthining of the hair makes it a complete package.

Ariana4000

I didn't find it too difficult. I didn't use all the other stuff some people use. I just mixed it with water and made a paste. I added a little oil and lemon juice as well. Then I slapped it in for an hour under a dryer. That's it. :grin:

carameldiva

i don't think it is difficult either. The conditioning/strengthening effects have been great. It also only leaves a color deposit. Unless you have naturally blonde hair or have bleached your hair prior to hennaing- you will not end up with red hair- maybe red hi-lites or a red halo. I too have noticed less shedding and a slight loosening of my curl pattern- my hair is much thicker as well. I love it, plus it is all natural.

LaNecia

TowsonGirl said:

For henna use, you do not HAVE to add anything but henna if you choose. The other ingredients add different things to the results (additional shine and conditioning (amla powder), moisture (yogurt, oils), color (coffee, walnut husks, elderberries, etc). When I first started using mine, it was straight henna, nothing added no terps, no oils, nada. I didn't even let it sit to terp, it was just mix and go. The conditioning was still very good. As far as measuring, it things it helps with knowing how much of this or that you're adding but not NECESSARY. You can simply pour some henna in a bowl, add this or that and add water. There are no hard fast rules at all.

TowsonGirl said:

The coloring effect of the henna is cummulative until your hair reaches it's saturation point at which time it will not be able to absorb any additional color from the henna. The coloring effects of the henna are also much longer lasting than a rinse. I use my henna primarily for conditioning, same as I would Emergency or some other conditioner. My hair turns out MUCH better using henna than any other conditioner I've tried, except for maybe Porosity Control (which I use with the Henna).

TowsonGirl said:
And how is it better than a rinse?
The henna is all natural, rinses = chemicals... That sold me.

The other henna thread(s) have gotten a bit out of control but Sareca was kind enough to put a FAQ together in her Fotki Album for those who had questions on henna use. That's a good place to start.

Hope that helps shed some light on your questions.

VWV

keluric

Ok, rinses contain chemicals and are they permanent? Henna and indigo are.

Henna is a superior conditioner for coating the strands and fortifying them.

It's also not nearly as complicated a process as some people make it. Using henna can be as complicated or as simple as you want it to be. Some people just add water to their henna while other people, like myself, add everything but the kitchen sink.

JLove74

HoneyDew said:
I use it for the conditioning effects.

me too and I also like the color & shine it gives my hair. I don't mix anything other than henna, water, oil and sometimes conditioner in my mix.

TowsonGirl

Thanks everyone for all the info :) ! You all have definitely cleared up the questions I had. Now I see why so many are on the Henna bandwagon. And I will definitely check out Sareca's FAQ ( I love her hair, by the way)

Kurlee

One big difference with henna!!! Nooooo running from ur hair onto clothes and pillows, like what can happen with rinses and of course the natural factor and the condtioning properties........

Keen

TowsonGirl said:
OH, I didnt know that. Someone also said Henna is permanent, I didnt know that either....

To my knowledge Henna is not permanent. It will wear off overtime.

keluric

Keen said:
To my knowledge Henna is not permanent. It will wear off overtime.

Henna is permanent in the sense that you have to grow it out, it will not rinse out. The richness of the color can fade over time but it is still permanent.

Keen

keluric said:
Henna is permanent in the sense that you have to grow it out, it will not rinse out. The richness of the color can fade over time but it is still permanent.

Then how come Henna Tatoos wear off eventually?