Her 4b is not MY 4b ....hair type

envybeauty

Ok.

So I see plenty of sistas on here saying that they are 4b. In my mind, IMO, 4b hair is very coarse hair. To ME, coarse hair does not have a defined curl or wave pattern. TO ME, 4b hair is very cottony like in that you cannot deterimine any kind of pattern to it when looking at how the hairs loop around. It is not like small pen springs or loose roller waves. AT LEAST MY 4B HAIR DOES NOT! :nono:

Am I wrong? :rolleyes:

I am asking because I have a patch of 4b in the back of my head that makes it hella hard to stretch. All the CW and pooing, oooing and ahhing over it will not allow me to get a comb through it come 8 weeks without MAJOR breakage. That section does not wave up. It does not curl up. Nada. It is HELLA DRY and those bad boys are THE driest hairs on my entire body especially as I stretch. :wallbash:

I am *venting* because several sistas on here will say that they are 4b. Cool. :yep: I am then reading all their advice about what products to use when stretching that never work for me, and how to best comb through, and how to stretch, yada, yada.

Fast forward. :yawn:

Eight months later when they decide to BC because they had the best time stretching with no breakage and then you see their natural hair.:spinning:

All nicely coiled and wavy, etc. All the while, I'm thinking...no she didn't! :sad: This chick had me thinking I could strecth 50+ weeks just by using a dime size amount of conditioner every two weeks and her hair is NATURALLY curly (and not coarse!). :wallbash:

So....am I beyond 4b then? Who on here is a TRUE 4b hair type if I am right? Does anyone understand what I am trying to say?!?!??!

Last edited:

Radianthealth

Funny:lachen::lachen::lachen:

I assure you that I am a 4B

This is an example of what I consider to be 4B hair:yep::

http://members.ebay.com/ws2/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=goodscentsperfume

Last edited:

Lady Esquire

I have thought the same thing. I look at a lot of people who claim 4b and their hair seems to be way more looser than my kinks. I have hair that is very very coarse. So maybe my hair is 4c, a category that I am claiming. :grin:

FAMUDva

Ok.

So I see plenty of sistas on here saying that they are 4b. In my mind, IMO, 4b hair is very coarse hair. To ME, coarse hair does not have a defined curl or wave pattern. TO ME, 4b hair is very cottony like in that you cannot deterimine any kind of pattern to it when looking at how the hairs loop around. It is not like small pen springs or loose roller waves. AT LEAST MY 4B HAIR DOES NOT! :nono:

I am asking because I have a patch of 4b in the back of my head that makes it hella hard to stretch. All the CW and pooing, oooing and ahhing over it will not allow me to get a comb through it come 8 weeks without MAJOR breakage. That section does not wave up. It does not curl up. Nada. It is HELLA DRY and those bad boys are THE driest hairs on my entire body especially as I stretch. :wallbash:

I am *venting* because several sistas on here will say that they are 4b. Cool. :yep: I am then reading all their advice about what products to use when stretching that never work for me, and how to best comb through, and how to stretch, yada, yada.

Eight months later when they decide to BC because they had the best time stretching with no breakage and then you see their natural hair.:spinning:

All nicely coiled and wavy, etc. All the while, I'm thinking...no she didn't! :sad: This chick had me thinking I could strecth 50+ weeks just by using a dime size amount of conditioner every two weeks and her hair is NATURALLY curly (and not coarse!). :wallbash:

So....am I beyond 4b then? Who on here is a TRUE 4b hair type if I am right? Does anyone understand what I am trying to say?!?!??!

:lachen:I got what you're saying! I'm not a 4b, but I AM 4a mostly... And I feel ya though.

Last edited:

*KP*

Where is the definitive list of hair types? I really don't know if I am 4A, 4B or 4Q.

Is there one?

Twisties

Well your post was funny as heck I know that! :lachen:

I will never forget the lightbulb that went off for me when people started talking about just wet it and put gel and it will get really curly. I would look at the pic and go that is not 4a or 4b hair. :grin: So THAT's why I didn't get the results following that particular tip:rolleyes:.

Legend

Trichological Alchemist
Interesting thread. I’ve thought about the same thing, too. :yep:

There are gradations of many hair types, which are pretty generalized. My 4B hair is anything but cottony, but sharp and wiry, each strand about the thickness of sewing thread. Ido have a wave pattern, but it’s a sharp “Z” not an “S” and very irregular. It doesn’t kink or coil (though I’ve discovered a new coily patch recently :ohwell:), but just sort of shoots straight up from my head. (I have my father’s hair :lol: ) I texlax it because it cannot be too straight.

I attached a fair digital representation of my hair strands. The Natural version is on the top, the texlaxed version is on the bottom. :)

Attachments

• my_4b.jpg
    my_4b.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 544

SweetCaramel1

too funny :lachen: i have a combination head of 4b, 4a and a few strands of 3c around my temples and in the back.

this is after 6 months no relaxer. i believe this is 4b........ correct me if i'm wrong :drunk:

envybeauty

That's why a sista needs pics. I don't mind people confusing 4a with 3b. or 3a with 3b.

But I'm thinking if I'm at the end of the spectrum of hair types (as in my hair is very very coarse) so there should be no confusion as to what 4b is unless there needs to be another type added on for people like me.... like 4c or 5a.

TLC1020

Although one say they are a 4b I think it vary on many different factors.
I believe you can see it best on natural hair textures b/c although you see the newgrowth the chemicals and product we use alters our hair texture as well as our genetic makeup. Although my hair is a 4b my texture it is not spongy, its coarse and thick and without a relaxer my newgrowth begin to dred at the roots in a z pattern.

Country gal

The hair typing and skin coloring is not an exact science. Just like folks have difference opinions on skin color the same is true on hair typing. I got in the habit of saying 4a/4b because I was told that's how my hair looked. I believe I am more of a 4a. My hair coils, curls up into a S without product.

I learned to do what is best for me. I take a little advice here and there but have found a really good routine for me.

envybeauty

Don't get me wrong....

Most Black people have a mixture of 4b, 4a, 3 whatever on their heads. I know I do...but that 4b section that is the entire back of my big ole head..... there is no confusion as to what it is....and I am reminded of it everytime I try to go beyond 8 weeks and have major breakage NO MATTER WHAT I DO.

I'm also thinking if I can barely stretch NOW, then how would I ever transition without a BC...:rolleyes:

glamazon386

Ok.

To my understanding, your idea of 4b is correct. 4b hair does not curl. However, we have to remember that there is variety within each hair type too. All 4a's don't look like my hair, but my hair is still 4a with some 3c. I don't have any 4b hair at all. All people's thickness and density play a factor too. My hair is fine. If it was thicker, I'm sure it would look different.

Sometimes when people have other types mixed in, it will make their hair look different. Like people with both 4a and 4b. The 4a pieces being mixed in can make the hair look different.

And also, for people who are relaxed and stretching, their relaxed hair may be weighing down the natural hair so their pattern looks looser.

Last edited:

Twisties

The hair typing and skin coloring is not an exact science. Just like folks have difference opinions on skin color the same is true on hair typing. I got in the habit of saying 4a/4b because I was told that's how my hair looked. I believe I am more of a 4a. My hair coils, curls up into a S without product.

I learned to do what is best for me. I take a little advice here and there but have found a really good routine for me.

Good post and summary. I agree with this totally:yep:!

scorpian

My natural hair is 4b....I get what the op is sayin'..I see people who have 4b under their hair type and I'm like :goodone: most of them look more like a 3c or looser.. not that that's good or bad but it's not the same thing as 4b :nono:

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
Ok.

I so get what you are trying to say:lachen:. Sometimes I look at pics of 4a 4b hair and I'm like...my hair does not look like that:nono:...all wavy and curly. My hair (NG) at the front does not go all wavy even with all the S-curl in the world and after tying my head so tight with a satin scarf that it cuts off circulation. It's flatter and softer but not with defined waves. I believe I've got mostly 4a/4b at the crown and front with some 3c at the back.

NYAmicas

Seeker
lol at your indignation:lachen:

I still think I'm trying to find my hair type too but I consider it 4b and I definetly sympathize with your stretching pains.

InnerSoul

too funny :lachen: i have a combination head of 4b, 4a and a few strands of 3c around my temples and in the back.

this is after 6 months no relaxer. i believe this is 4b........ correct me if i'm wrong :drunk:

same here. I have 4b in the crown(thick coils like that of a telephone cord),4a on sides and front, and 3c in the very back(looser waves). This is very frustrating to me b/c a product will work on one type of my hair and not the other type:nono:. My mom knew when I was little that I had different textures all throughout my head:lachen:..she is the one that had to take care of it then...but now that I am it's like:look:!

envybeauty

here's another one. look toward the front of my hair line. this is 4 months no relaxer.

-vi.jpg?1175291675[/IMG]

I see it.......4b...........squinting really hard though..... :spinning:

My hair is like Scorpian's (?) daughter's hair (I hope she doesn't mind). My natural hair looks just like her daughter's hair in her siggy. My pics growing up looked like that. To me, there is no confusion as to 4b hair. I see pics of other people's hair on here and I'm like .....fine or thick...that is EXACTLY how my 4b hair looks too....

SweetCaramel1

same here. I have 4b in the crown(thick coils like that of a telephone cord),4a on sides and front, and 3c in the very back(looser waves). This is very frustrating to me b/c a product will work on one type of my hair and not the other type:nono:. My mom knew when I was little that I had different textures all throughout my head:lachen:..she is the one that had to take care of it then...but now that I am it's like:look:!

yeah it's very fustrating and hard to relax. if you leave it on the wrong part for too long it breaks off while the other part doesn't get straight :drunk: i've decided to do 15 minutes regardless. if it gets straight great, if it doesn't oh well :rolleyes: