Here comes the shedding :(

Chameleonchick

Okay ladies, I thought it wasn't going to effect me this time but it did. I just started my postpartum shedding. I know there is no way to avoid it, but anyone who has gone through this before knows this is frustrating. I currently have my hair in twists and (I do them myself so its not because of tension) I redo my twists whenever I get bored.(often) Recently I have noticed more shedding than normal. I am 3 months and three weeks postpartum so I assume this is when my shedding begins. Is it safe to keep my hair protected or should I take these twists down and just wash or co wash frequently? Thanks in advance!

Traycee

Okay ladies, I thought it wasn't going to effect me this time but it did. I just started my postpartum shedding. I know there is no way to avoid it, but anyone who has gone through this before knows this is frustrating. I currently have my hair in twists and (I do them myself so its not because of tension) I redo my twists whenever I get bored.(often) Recently I have noticed more shedding than normal. I am 3 months and three weeks postpartum so I assume this is when my shedding begins. Is it safe to keep my hair protected or should I take these twists down and just wash or co wash frequently? Thanks in advance!

Only advice I can give ....low manipulation....Eat right and keep taking vitamins especially if your breastfeeding

JLove74

Only advice I can give ....low manipulation....Eat right and keep taking vitamins especially if your breastfeeding

ITA. For products, I suggest Alter Ego Hot Garlic treatment. I experienced shedding after having surgery and my hair was a WRECK. Weekly treatments for about a month, stopped it DEAD. Now I just use it monthly as a preventative measure.

HTH

Lucky's Mom

I was thinking that maybe you can do garlic treatments to curb shedding.

5 Cloves of garlic - in 4 oz of EVOO, or 10 cloves in 8 oz.

let it steep in the fridge for a few days. Use as a hot oil treatment.

HHG!

AceH

I'm going through this as well. Our babies are close to the same age! When was your baby born - mine was born Jan. 7 :)

I started PP shedding around 2 months post. It's declined little, but I'll definitely try the garlic treatment.

mytia

SuperWoman!

ITA. I've been dealing with this also my little man turned 6 mo. today and I've been battling the shedding since 3 mo. post. It has slowed down quite a bit though so I think that it may be coming to an end but during the period were it seemed that I had handfuls of hair constantly I just did as little as possible to my hair and kept it moisturized. I still take prenatal vitamins because I breastfeed and I believe this has helped. I also use sweetcashews products and my hair has thrived from them even though I went through the postpartum shedding. Patience is key it'll soon pass:yep:.

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
I'm going through this as well. Our babies are close to the same age! When was your baby born - mine was born Jan. 7 :)

I started PP shedding around 2 months post. It's declined little, but I'll definitely try the garlic treatment.
OT
can I steal your baby?

looks like my lil cousins:yep:

cocosweet

I'm so glad I found this thread. My pp shedding started a few weeks ago. Funny thing is my hair looks the same (its in twists) but when I go to retwist or comb it handfuls of hair come out. Its really unsettling. Is it too late to start up my prenatals again? I fell completely off the wagon taking them.

DD was born January 2.

Buttercreme

:bighug:
My precious son is 6 mos. and pp shedding has slowed a little bit, but at least I'm not in tears anymore crying to DH

I still take my prenatal vitamins and also started taking flax after delivery

My temples were just about going bald

Good thing is, by taking flax, the new hair is coming in a diff. texture (silky, dark, thick, looser curl pattern almost like 4A, but i'm 4B:bighug:

Chameleonchick

Hmm, I need some more answers about this situation. Heres a picture to show how much edges are looking:sad:. Do you think I should take these twists down and use this megatek stuff while wearing my hair in a puff or what? I need some help please. DSC0022a8.JPG