hey ladies! newbie here!

misscrystal

Nappy and Happy
/images/graemlins/newbie.gif

hi everybody. my name is crystal and i'm a college student. i've just signed up here on lhcf because i really, really need some help with my hair. i've been a long time reader and all of you are TRULY insperations.

i'm at a loss on what to do with my hair. when i was younger, people would always ask me if my hair was weave because of how shiny and silky it was. but then i screwed up my hair by heat styling it everyday and never keeping my ends trimmed. somehow, i couldn't see how scissors could HELP my hair. i was a silly, silly little girl. after that, i kept my hair in braids for close to two years to help it grow out because my hair was just a mess. when i got my hair permed after that, my hair was FAB. i started getting people asking me if my hair was weave again, and whenever relatives or friends came over to our house, it seemed they always had to put their hands in my head (flattering at first, annoying as hell after a while). but i've gone bad again. i've been taking my hair for granted and it's taking it's toll. my hair is breaking like MAD. i believe my hair can be salvaged, but i just need some help, some good products, and above all SOME DISCIPLINE. i'm hoping you girls can help me out. i'd like to join in the hair growth challenge and try to get some healthy looking hair on my head again! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

KAddy

Crystal.

A few questions:

What products do you use now?
Do you still heat style a lot?
How do you wear your hair most days?

sengschick

The Bun Master
/images/graemlins/wave.gif MissCry,

Welcome /images/graemlins/newbie.gif. I'm sure after you do some reading here and ask some questions you'll be right back on track to having that beautiful hair once again. First, stop the breaking by unplugging the direct heat. Go for rollersets if you still want straight styles, invest in some quality protein and moisture treatments and use protective styles. Nexxus products are always high on my recommendation list. Best Wishes!!!

misscrystal

Nappy and Happy
i know. that heat is killing me. my sad excuse is that i'm living on campus and i'm on the go alot. it told you it was a sad excuse.

i'm thinking about velcro rollers. i've been asking around about them, but no one seems to know much about them. i like that they can stay in dry hair w/o clips, but i'm worried about any snag factor. my hair is so weak and brittle as it is. i'll post some pics soon.

KAddy

Crystal /images/graemlins/blush.gifrders: PUT DOWN THE CURLING IRONS!!!!

That is step one. What do you do to your hair at night? Do you wrap it up at night or just jump in the bed?

I agree with Sengschick about the protein treatment. I'm not going to recommend a product because so many work differently on each head. I think it is trial and error at times.

Why not try pin curling your hair at night so you have curl in the morning?

sengschick

The Bun Master
[ QUOTE ]
misscrystal said:
i know. that heat is killing me. my sad excuse is that i'm living on campus and i'm on the go alot. it told you it was a sad excuse.

i'm thinking about velcro rollers. i've been asking around about them, but no one seems to know much about them. i like that they can stay in dry hair w/o clips, but i'm worried about any snag factor. my hair is so weak and brittle as it is. i'll post some pics soon.

[/ QUOTE ] I would suggest Caruso Curlers instead of velcro, they use steam and work in minutes. Maybe you could try Ebay. Sally's sells them for $35-30, but they are worth the investment. Try washing later in the evening so you can just go to sleep and air dry. Your hair should be dry in the AM. If not you can lightly blow or sit under the hood for a few mins.

Why is your hair so brittle and weak? Is it from heat, color or relaxer damage?

genesis

Welcome to the board! When I first joined LHCF my hair was jacked, I mean breaking..the whole 9 yards. After learning about protein(vital for relaxed hair), moisture and NO HEAT, I've been able to transform my hair. You have made the first step to getting your hair back on track, listen to what the ladies have to say and your hair will be back in shape in no time. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

misscrystal

Nappy and Happy
hey everybody! i just wanted to let you know i've started a fotki album. it ain't pretty i have to warn you /images/graemlins/nono.gif, but you guys will see just how much i need you!! the link is in my signature.

[ QUOTE ]
sengschick said:

Why is your hair so brittle and weak? Is it from heat, color or relaxer damage?

[/ QUOTE ]

the main culprit is heat, and i don't moisturize my hair as well as i should. /images/graemlins/spank.gif i'm so bad, but i'm starting to suspect i may have some relaxer damage as well....

Aerie17

Hey, welcome to the boards. /images/graemlins/weird.gif

I agree with some others. Stop the heat!!

J

JenniferMD

Welcome to the board MissCrystal! /images/graemlins/wave.gif

A_Christian

Welcome to the forum! /images/graemlins/wave.gif

You should definitely try a no heat challenge. I haven't used direct heat on my hair in 7 months and my ends are so much healthier than before. The use of hot irons definitely caused tons of split ends and some breakage for me.

I suggest using KeraCare and Design Essentials products. Both lines work very well for my relaxed hair, especially the conditioners (KeraCare Humecto and Design Essentials Stimulations Moisturizing Conditioner).

Also, roller sets are a healthy alternative to heat styling. Roller wraps (doobies) are great for straightening relaxed hair instead of using hot irons or blowdryers.

Happy hair growing! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

dreemssold

Welcome, misscrystal /images/graemlins/wave.gif. ITA--a no heat challenge sounds like a great idea, along with no velcro rollers and some serious moisture /images/graemlins/smile.gif.