Hey Self Relaxers...How many sections???

SelfStyled

I have always used the traditonal 4 sections. I am thinking of doing switching to 3....2 sections in the front and then the back section. What do you guys do?

MrJohnsonsRib

How many do you need? I think that would be more of a preference especially when you are used to self-relaxing and your hair can be manipulated to do so....me personally I have too thick of hair to play with 2 parts lol....which may be why I jacked up my hair when relaxing in the past a few times. I can't rush a relaxer thru this stuff...but its neither here nor there cause I've decided to transition for a different change of pace and just to have a new (or should I say old) experience since I haven't had natural hair since I was 7.

SelfStyled

See I'm glad that I posted this.....I would never have thought of two sections. Do you feel just doing i in the 2 sections speeds up your application time?

SelfStyled

How many do you need? I think that would be more of a preference especially when you are used to self-relaxing and your hair can be manipulated to do so....me personally I have too thick of hair to play with 2 parts lol....which may be why I jacked up my hair when relaxing in the past a few times. I can't rush a relaxer thru this stuff...but its neither here nor there cause I've decided to transition for a different change of pace and just to have a new (or should I say old) experience since I haven't had natural hair since I was 7.

I have to say that that is the beauty of self relaxing, you get to decide how many sections and which section you will begin in. When I went to the salon she always started in the back. I wish I knew then what I know now, cause I would have told her to switch it up.

Congrats on your transitioning to natural, I am looking forward to your updates:grin:

1Aleeesha

This is interesting... I normally do 4 and end with 2 before it's all done... 2 in the front and 2 in the back...

Chameleonchick

See I'm glad that I posted this.....I would never have thought of two sections. Do you feel just doing i in the 2 sections speeds up your application time?

Well actually it helps me concentrate better and not process one part too long. It actually takes me a long time to go through all the steps. Base, Relaxer, Rinse etc. because I do the bottom section first apply my relaxer for the time I want. Rinse, protein/ph reducing conditioner, neutralize, then put on a dc then I go to the top section.

luvmesumhair

Heres what I did:

I used these clips...

End result... Works like a charm! :grin:

I also do the same for the back. I also only wash the back out in the shower. The front I wash out in the kitchen sink. I do the front first.

SelfStyled

Luvmesum hair- thank you so much for the contribution. I would LOVE to try the half and half method. I think that is the ultimate way to ensure correct processing. I said it in the other thread- but I'll say it again. Your Hair is AMAZING- good job mami. I am so glad to see you come back from your setback. Hooray!

Chameleonchick

Heres what I did:

I used these clips...

End result... Works like a charm! :grin:

I also do the same for the back. I also only wash the back out in the shower. The front I wash out in the kitchen sink. I do the front first.

Yup this nails it! I never thought to use clips to section the hair off in pieces. Thanks.

luvmesumhair

^^^Your'e welcome.

I just made sure that I coated my hair with conditioner and the ends with vaseline.

After I washed out the perm, I put on some Aphogee Reconstructor and left that on for 5 mins then washed that out and then I neutralized 3 times. Leaving the last wash on for another 5 mins. Then (without washing out the neutralizer to protect it from any perm that might get on it) I put a plastic cap on the front and proceeded to do the back the same way. In the shower, after washing out the perm, I put in the Aphogee, clip it up, jumped out the shower to dry off then proceeded to the kitchen sink to wash out the Aphogee and then neutralized the back 3 times leaving the last one on for 5 mins too.

After washing that out, I put some WEN on my hair leaving that on for a couple of mins then wash that out and rollerset.

CaramelPrincezz

I do 4. 2 in the front and 2 in back. And I relax in halfs. I might start using more sections cuz my hair is reallllly thick

prospurr4

I do my whole head at one time. I had never heard of anyone relaxing in sections until I came on this site.

I did a texlax touchup last weekend, at 14 weeks post. Before starting, I THROUGHLY detangle my hair with my fingers, from root to tip, which allows me to move through my hair quickly. I manage to apply, smooth and rinse in 12 minutes, for texlaxed results.

HoneyDew

I do my touchups just like luvmesumhair.

But I start with the back but that is because I do both in the shower.