Highlights with a relaxer anyone?

Autumn

I'm looking for pics or commentary of ladies with relaxed hair with highlites. See, I've noticed a few silver strands that are concentrated where I used to part my hair on the side
. Instead of coloring all of my hair, I'm thinking about just grabbing the grey hair and highliting it a lighter color. Rinses wash out too fast for me because I wash my hair frequently (they're still not out of the question, however).

I'm a bit concerened about what the relaxer would do to the highlights. I've read that hightlites on relaxed hair will just melt! I think I got that info from Oprah's stylist Andre's book, a long time ago

If you have some silver/gray strands and a relaxer, how are you handling them? I'm not ready for gray yet lol

thanx

Lorraine

I'm not grey but I do have highlights and relax my hair. I used to color my entire head and my hair stopped growing. I use African pride as it's the only mixture that will actually 'take'. I color only a few strands because it's so strong. I avoid relaxing for at least three weeks after I have highlighted. I keep my hair very moist with Nexxus Humectress, too so that the highlighted pieces won't break off.

Hope that helps.

ubavka123

I made this mistake 2 years ago and I will NEVER do it again. Can you say MAJOR breakage? Girl, I was in braids for a year trying to grow my hair back! Everyone's hair is different, but I say be very careful.

G

Like the other poster said please be very careful because that's two chemical treatments. Do lots of deep conditioning and oil treatments as follow ups. K... and show us pictures.

Dolce_Dawn

I agree w/what everyone has said. I am relaxed and I finally got highlights after being scared to death of the damage I heard it could do. I got them done professionally and I still have healthy hair!

The key really is moisture. Invest in some good hair products that cater to colored/damaged hair. Also, make sure that you get these services done (relaxer/ color) at least 4 wks apart from each other. Many wait two, but I like err on the side of caution. I waited 5 before I got my highlights.

Oh! I don't have any gray, but your hair will NOT melt off.

HTH!