Holding Curls

patticake

Well this morning i finally had a successful rollerset! My hair came out so bouncy and full! The problem is that I can't seem to hold any curls past my lunchbreak. My hair has always been this way and I'd usually just spray it to death with hairspray. I'm really trying to avoid this though because it only breaks my hair off. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a product that can hold my curls after a rollerset?

Compassion

I'd like to know too.
My hair does fine when I use a setting lotion. BUT, setting lotions make my hair hard and easier to break and snap while combing. I've read that several women on our board do not even use setting lotions. Some just use a leave in conditioner. I tried that. But now I think that I have to have a setting lotion to help my curls last. I think I'm going to try Keracare's Cream Setting Lotion. Hopefully I'll be able to find it. I would suggest trying a creamy setting lotion maybe. I know the regular liquid ones break my hair off, and I know you don't want that. Lottabody makes a setting lotion that you dilute yourself. I'm not very good at that. Either my setting lotion is to hard, or not strong enough. A soft bouncy hold is what I want. I've tried every wrap hair foam that Sally's carries. Every one of them dries my hair out and makes it dull, even the Elasta QP Foam (supposedly contains no alcohol or detergents) and Moisture Sealant. So hopefully, the Keracare will work. I had nothing but success with their products.
Oh and congrats on your roller set Patticake! I know EXACTLY how you feel. HTH

Blessings,
Compassion

Cindy70

Compassion, I've never heard of the Keracare Cream Setting Lotion, but I have used the Keracare regular setting lotion and I found it to be very sticky and drying. I was very surprised at that since it does not contain any alcohol. You might like it though since you like their other products.

sweetcocoa

Try Lottabody Creme Wrap for wrapping and setting. It's also alcohol free. It does not make your hair hard and gives a soft hold. I didn't use this when I last rollerset...but since it's humid I need some help so I will be using this the next time.
Be sure you get the creme...NOT the lotion!

Lottabody Cream Wrap For Wrapping and Setting 8 oz.

Creamwrap - Wrap it, set it, shape it with Lottabody Creamwrap. A lightweight cream for wrapping and setting hair. Long lasting firm hold with easy comb-trough. Adds incredible shine instantly. Leaves hair soft and manageable, non-flaking, totally alcohol free. Lottabody. "Lotta" Style, "Lotta" Sheen. Directions: After shampoo, apply evenly to damp hair, and finger through for even coverage. Comb in direction of wrap or set with rollers. Apply more as needed when wrapping or setting hair. Keep out of eyes

sweetcocoa

[ QUOTE ]
Sweetcocoa...is this the product you recommended for my dry roller set???Looks good...

[/ QUOTE ]
No. I like Miss Cool for that and also I use Elucence Moisture Balancing. This is great on wet hair....but actually I've never tried it on dry hair...it seems like it would be too heavy. Maybe if you water it down a little.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
When my hair was relaxed, I liked Fantasia Liquid Mousse. Infusium 23 was good for wet sets, too. Try using smaller rollers. If the curls fall, your hair will still look "done".

Ive recently tried rollerseting my hair and I find that less is more. I only use Infusium 23 (lightly) and oil on my ends and my rollersets last all day long without setting lotion or hairspray. I love in Florida where the humidity is killer, but it doesnt have an affect on my rollerset. Also check out the size of rollers you're using. If you know your hair is going to fall, try setting with smaller rollers, which will make a tighter curl. A your hair falls, all youll have to do is finger-style your hair! Good luck!

sweetcocoa

[ QUOTE ]
When my hair was relaxed, I liked Fantasia Liquid Mousse. Infusium 23 was good for wet sets, too. Try using smaller rollers. If the curls fall, your hair will still look "done".

[/ QUOTE ]
I had sucess years ago with mousse. I'll have to try this tonight. Can you get it at Sally's?
Smaller rollers.....good idea Sassygirl and Mermaid! I'm doing that today..so far so good. I also finger combed with Sebastion Wet to give my hair a little hold. I hope this method works out.

Compassion

Cindy, you know I think Soslychic is right. I believe I was referring to the Keracare Foam Wrap Lotion. I am not sure about them carrying a cream setting lotion.
I could be wrong though. Sweetcocoa, I tried that Lottabody Cream Wrap in the jar and was not pleased.
It left a film on my hair, and made it hard to comb while wet. Lottabody used to make a cream wrap lotion in a tall white bottle. I loved that!! It's a bit thicker than the one they make now in the jar, and did not leave a residue on my hair. Sally's doesn't carry it anymore. Oh well. I wished the one in the jar worked like the old one. Thanks anyway!

Blessings,
Compassion

sweetcocoa

[ QUOTE ]

Sassygirl I see there are 2 different ones ...one is for rollersetting(blue)and the other you posted is for wrapping(pink)...do you think there is a difference or does it matter?

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
I still see it at Sally's and the Korean bss. I gave up on "setting lotions" because they all seemed to make my hair feel hard and crispy. The only reason I started trying to wet set my hair in the first place was because I couldn't find anything for dry sets that worked like Miss Cool. (They really need to bring that stuff back...) I don't remember ever seeing the blue Fantasia product.
I've only used the pink one. It isn't really a "mousse"--it doesn't foam up or anything. Knowing how hair product manufacturers like to stretch a dollar, it's probably the same product with a little dye in a spray bottle.

Cindy70

You're right, Sassygirl. I have both the Fantasia setting lotion (blue) and the wrapping lotion (pink) and they're both pretty much the same. For some reason both bottles have some kind of black-ish colored residue at the bottom. Does anyone else have these and have the same problem or did I just get some bad product?

sweetcocoa

Ok thanks. I think I'll pass. I had some success a while ago with mousse(the foam up kind) and the humidity. I have that at home. I may try that on a dry set mixed with a little oil.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
Have you tried Vigorol Mousse? My cousin uses the one for relaxed hair to keep her type 3 curls from turning into an afro in the FL humidity. It might work for roller sets, too. I haven't seen it at Sally's in years, but the Korean bss still sell it.

sweetcocoa

[ QUOTE ]
Have you tried Vigorol Mousse? My cousin uses the one for relaxed hair to keep her type 3 curls from turning into an afro in the FL humidity. It might work for roller sets, too. I haven't seen it at Sally's in years, but the Korean bss still sell it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks! I'll try this...I also want something to keep my air dried curls from frizzing also. Do you have a pic? I'll look for it this evening.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
I know it's in a white can with pink writing. I'll see if i can find a photo and stick it in here later.

Found it!

sweetcocoa

[ QUOTE ]
I know it's in a white can with pink writing. I'll see if i can find a photo and stick it in here later.

Found it!

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks. I also found this one in the blue can...

This is what they say for both of them(respectivley)

<font color="pink">PINK</font>
Vigorol Mousse for relaxed hair is a daily styling foam with a difference. It's light, creamy rich foam is specially formulated to add lots of body and silky shine to relaxed hair. Plus, Vigorol Mousse gives full style control without making hair stiff or sticky. It's also very beneficial before blow drying, curling irons and after perming or tinting to prevent split ends and reduce static, fly-away hair. Directions: Shampoo and towel dry. Shake can well before use. Dispense an amount about the size of a lemon. Work evenly through hair. Do not rinse out. Style as usual.

<font color="blue">BLUE</font>
Vigorol Maximum Shine and Wave Mousse 9 oz.
For all types of hair. Adds body and shine. Great for wave and curly styles. Vigorol Mousse for Maximum Shine and Volume hair is a daily styling foam with a difference. It's light, creamy rich foam is specially formulated to add lots of body and silky shine then you ever had before. Great for wrapping, crimping, sculpting for today's style; even wet setting. Plus, Vigorol Mousse gives full style control without making hair stiff or sticky. It's also very beneficial before blow drying, curling irons and after perming or tinting to prevent split ends and reduce static, fly-away hair. Directions: Shampoo and towel dry. Shake can well before use. Dispense an amount about the size of a lemon. Work evenly through hair. Do not rinse out. Style as usual.

<font color="red"> Sounds like basically they are the same... </font>

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
Ok...What's up with all the pink and blue hair products?

@ Cindy:
This doesn't suprise me at all. I call it "pulling a Pantene on the consumer".
Pantene has shelves full of the same three or four products. Shame, shame...

nita4

Ladies, I use the fantasia blue and I was told to dilute with water. I used another spray bottle, filled half with water/half setting lotion. Spray into my wet hair, massage in and roll. If my hair starts to dry out I just mist with water. I get a good set, but not crispy.

Cindy70

nita, did you notice a dark residue on the bottom of your bottle of setting lotion? Inside the lotion, not on the actual bottle, I mean.