Home Touch-up SUCCESS with Profective NO-LYE relaxer! Review inside!

Boadicea

I'm adding pictures to my album now. I was going to get a touch-up from the same stylist I've been going to since 1996. I figured that it would be best to call ahead and I'm so glad that I did. Turns out that she doesn't work at the salon anymore and the receptionist didn't want to tell me where she was working now. That saved me a half hour drive to another county and $60, but now I didn't have anyone to do my touch-ups.

Traditionally, I've always used Designer's Touch Lye except for a few times when they didn't have it and I used a no-lye relaxer. This left my hair feeling hard and stiff with very little shine and stick straight dry hair.

I decided to go for a box relaxer and I was trying to remember which ones people on the board had trouble with. It was like studying the night before a test and getting to the classroom and forgetting everything! The only thing that stood out in my mind to stay away from were Fabulaxer and the Revlon relaxers.

The store didn't have much else, so I picked out the Profective Anti-Damage No-Lye relaxer in Regular. All the while, I had a lady circling me, looking from my hair to the relaxer box in my hand. She would keep leaving the aisle and then coming back and looking from me to the box before she picked up one of her own.

Now, the last box relaxer I used was way back in 8th grade (Just for Me, I think). So I was hoping that my hair wouldn't fall on the floor after using this.

The process was very easy. I mixed it myself (it comes with two applications). It didn't smell awful AND it DIDN'T burn my scalp! Not ONCE in the 15 MINUTES that it was on my head. In the salon, I would never leave the relaxer on for very long; I seldom went past 5 minutes, but I didn't want to have underprocessed hair so I went with the timing guide.

It rinsed out very easily. My hair was soft and silky. My only gripe is that I don't want my hair to be too straight, and it's a little too straight for my liking, but I'll see if it grows on me. Sometimes after a touch-up, my hair appears straighter than it is. I'll see when I wash it in a few days.

The neutralizing shampoo was very easy to apply. It's a foam (comes in a can like foam shaving cream). I applied it twice and then for good measure used another neutralizing shampoo. The Profective one made my hair very soft and it rinsed out with ease.

I then used Kenra MC for three minutes, then Aussie's 3 Minute Miracle Reconstructor Deeeeep. This did leave my hair a little hard, because of the protein (this always happens after I get a touch-up) so I'm not worried. I rinsed with Pantene Daily Moisture Renewal.

The only step that I didn't follow were the strand test and the leave-in conditioner that comes with the relaxer. I wanted to use my Salerm 21 instead.

Overall, this turned out to be a better experience than I thought it would be. The Profective no-lye regular relaxer was very easy to use, fool-proof if you follow the directions (which are very clear, the also have pictures) and best and most important of all, it wasn't damaging to my hair! I'd even go so far to say that it was a very gentle process.

On the box, it says:

"Unmatched saftey and protection. Prevents breakage, split-ends and dryness. Protects against overprocessing."

I've found this to be very true in my case. This appears to be very different from salon no-lye relaxers which neither my hair nor my scalp like.

The Verdict: 10 out of 10
I would definitely use this relaxer again. And not only would I use it again, I would recommend it to someone regardless of whether they use lye or no-lye. I think this is a keeper! I lost very little hair and have no damage to my hair or scalp. My mom applied it (the relaxer) for me, but I feel confident that I can do it myself.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I'm glad you had a good experience with this relaxer. How would you compare it to previous relaxers you have used?

Healthb4Length

Your hair looks good,glad everything went well. Where do you purchase Hairtopia vitamins from? I've been hearing so much about them and would like to give them a try.

Allandra

I'm glad you had a great at home touch-up experience. Your hair looks wonderful. /images/graemlins/up.gif

Boadicea

Thanks!

Compared to other relaxers (except Just for Me, which I was too young to remember the experience), this is the most gentle one that I've ever used. Even with Designer's Touch Lye I experienced some minor burning sensations. I didn't have that with this relaxer.

As for Hairtopia, I bought it from the Hairboutique (http://mp.hairboutique.com). I bought the basic one, but if I see good results, I may try the Herbal Plus to go along with it.

Compared to HairFormula37, it's much easier to swallow

LABETT

This is the relaxer I use when I did my first self relaxer and it turn out great for me but I switched back to Mizani just because I always used it at the salon.
I glad it work for you BO.

melodee

Glad it worked for you, Bo. You got me wanting to self-relax now. I hate leaving my precious hair in someone else's hands and then paying $85.
Also, why did you not trust the Profective Foam neutralizer? I read that it foams in to prevent breakage of fragile hair and thaought it was a good idea. But I, too, wondered if it could be trusted.

keylargo

Re: Home Touch-up SUCCESS with Profective NO-LYE relaxer! Review insid

Your hair looks great! You had some good growth too. I'm afraid to go from lye to no-lye. I thought it would be damaging to do so....

ubavka123

Your hair looks lovely! I love the leaf! You are the protective style queen, by the way! /images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif Your elegant styles are inspiring! I am glad you had a great self-relaxing experience. Everytime I read one of these stories I am further encouraged to continue taking care of my own hair! /images/graemlins/smile.gif Thanks for sharing!

Boadicea

Thanks again, guys!

@melodee: It was the leave-in conditioner that I didn't want to use. The neutralizer was great.

I just like Salerm 21 best. I've been using it for about three years as my primary leave-in and I don't see any reason to change it. I've finally honed my hair care regimen to exactly what works and now I don't want to do anything differently. Habit, I suppose. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

@keylargo: I was afraid to make the switch too! I'm glad that it worked out, though. This no-lye relaxer seems to be different from the salon no-lye relaxers that I've used in the past. Each of which caused problems for my hair and scalp.

Update: My scalp was a little bit dry, which seems to be the only thing this relaxer had in common with the other no-lye relaxers that I've used in the past. I put some Herbal Vitamin E oil on it, and it was just fine. I'm going to wash my hair again today, sans deep conditioning which I'll do tomorrow.

ElizaBlue

B.

You've read my mind. My last touch up with Affirm Fiberguard set my head on fair after only 5 minutes, and did the same thing to my daughter when I did her relaxer last night. I was just thinking maybe I should go back to a no-lye. I really don't see the part about the box relaxer drying out the hair. Our hair is plenty dry now. Please keep us posted on how you hair reacts. By the way what hair type are you?