Hot Trends > Controlled Curls (article)

Sweetyb

Here's an article I found on SallyBeauty.com about how to tame your curls. As I am growing out my hair, I plan to wear my tight curls out more in its curlly state. This article gave me some nice suggestions... hope this helps other curlyheads!

============================================================
Curls can be sexy and gorgeous or a mass of uncontrolled frizz! "Curly hair requires a great cut," says stylist and colorist Scott Finley. "For the best shape and control, layers are generally the way to go."

Scott recommends what he calls, "box layering" for curly hair. "I cut all sections straight off the head in the shape of a box, long or short. Traditional layering, which follows the shape of the head, will give curly hair a round shape, which the last thing most curly haired women want”

One key to great curls, says Scott, is choosing the right styling products. "Soft, touchable, curls with a smooth, silky finish is what most women want." Instead of gel, which defines curl, but can leave hair crunchy feeling, Scott suggests trying a hydrating, soft-finish, curl-defining cream.

"A common mistake many women make is too much touching during drying. The less you touch your hair, the less frizzy it will be!" When hair is nearly, but not completely dry Scott suggests gently breaking curls up with your fingers for a more random style. Curly hair is not as reflective as straight hair, so Scott suggests finishing with a lightweight glosser for more luster.

PREP
Shampoo hair with a gentle shampoo that contains moisturizers and humectants to give curls bounce. Follow up with a lightweight, detangling conditioner to seal the hair shaft. Towel dry and apply a curl-defining styler that tames curls and prevents frizz. Comb through hair using a wide-tooth comb. Try: Nature's Therapy Perfect Curls Defining Shampoo, Nature's Therapy Perfect Curls Defining Conditioner and Nature's Therapy Perfect Curls Defining Crème moisturize and enhance curls while taming unruly frizz and fly-aways. A rake comb gently detangles and inhibits bacteria.

STYLE
Air-dry curls or use a diffuser attachment with your blow dryer. A finger diffuser lifts and separates hair for body and volume; a soft finger diffuser has flexible fingers that add volume while massaging the scalp; and an air diffuser disperses air evenly to maintain curl without frizz. Avoid touching hair until it is 90% dry. Then finger-style and mist hair with a weightless glossing spray. Try: ConairPro 3 In 1 Universal Diffuser fits most dryer barrels and includes air, finger and soft finger attachments. Ion Anti-Frizz Solutions Glossing Mist provides weightless, high-gloss shine.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/whats_new/0405/hottrends/curls/curl1.asp
============================================================

deeplyrooted

Dang, seems like I keep seeing Perfect Curls everywhere I go.
Great article, Sweetyb. It gave me quite a few ideas to try.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Interesting...

...but, is the article talking about naturally curly hair or hair your can curl?

...also, how is the article talking about achieving the curls? what I mean is, do you use rollers or blowdry with a round brush?

nekee

he is sooo right ... I would curl my hair with my fingers when wet and it would look cute and spirally then when dry I find some of them poking out of my head like a sunbeam ... =(