How can I maintain moisture with a wrap style?

Scasey

I have been wearing my hair in a bun after doing co. washes 3x a week for the past two weeks to tame my new growth. I am so tired of this style and I really want to wear my hair down. However, when I choose to wear my hair down, I have so much breakage unlike when I wear it in the bun. I know the lack of moisture is causing the problem. So the million dollar question is how can I wear my hair in a wrap style and add moisture daily to keep breakage to a minimum without weighing my hair down?

Please help me!

I usually put some ORS Olive Oil Lotion and Kemi Oyl on my hair while it is still wrapped. I then take a shower and get ready to go out. Just before I leave I take the wrap down and style. I also will moisturize before going to bed, basically put the same products on my hair and wrap it for the night. There are plenty of moisturizers (cream based) to choose from, just take your pick and then seal with oil
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
LiqueXX said:
I usually put some ORS Olive Oil Lotion and Kemi Oyl on my hair while it is still wrapped. I then take a shower and get ready to go out. Just before I leave I take the wrap down and style. I also will moisturize before going to bed, basically put the same products on my hair and wrap it for the night. There are plenty of moisturizers (cream based) to choose from, just take your pick and then seal with oil
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I do the same thing, and I wear my hair down everyday
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
LiqueXX said:
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds really good. I love the ORS OO Moisturizer. I may replace the Kemi with Hot 6 Oil, because I haven't purchased any Kemi in a while.

[ QUOTE ]
Scasey said:
I have been wearing my hair in a bun after doing co. washes 3x a week for the past two weeks to tame my new growth. I am so tired of this style and I really want to wear my hair down. However, when I choose to wear my hair down, I have so much breakage unlike when I wear it in the bun. I know the lack of moisture is causing the problem. So the million dollar question is how can I wear my hair in a wrap style and add moisture daily to keep breakage to a minimum without weighing my hair down?

Please help me!

[/ QUOTE ]

Scasey ~
I got this idea from Mahalialee, another LHCF member, with wonderful results. After lightly moisturizing my hair (concentrating on those ends!) in the evening, I wrap my hair with my silk or satin scarf, and place several shower caps over my scarf. I leave the caps on anywhere from 1 - 3 hours before removing them - but the scarf remains. While I'm asleep, my hair has the chance to dry. In the morning, my hair is 100% dried but moisturized and I comb my hair down to a shiny, bouncy wrap style with no breakage! This will only work if your hair has dried; if it's still damp, it won't work.

I love this method.
up.gif
If I weren't on the bun challenge, I'd still do it!
smile.gif

nuts.gif
I may have to try this.. Because I have noticed that in the morning if I comb my hair out too soon after moisturizing that my curls will flop,
frown.gif

Hi Lunalight ~

For what it's worth -I'm frustrated with the Typing system- my hair is 3c/4a. My hair is relaxed and currently between my shoulder blades but the nighttime moisture treatment can apparently work on varying lengths. At the time Mahalialee posted it, her hair, worn natural (3b), was about 7.5 inches past shoulder length. And of course, this method works brilliantly on short hair. Good luck!

Great suggestions ladies. Another good way to ensure moisturized tresses is to lock some moisture in after washing and conditioning. Do this by adding a lil of your fave moisturizer and sealing with oil. Once your hair dries it will soft and bouncy. This gives you a great place to start. Then you cn maintain daily with the tips given above until next wash. HHG
smile.gif

Back