How can I wear a bun if...

bee

Hi, ladies! I have been lurking for a while and I have a few questions. I want to wear a bun (I have a fake one that I made thanks to the step-by-step guide I discovered right here on this board). I have been transitioning since Feb. 2003 and I want to know how I can sport this style when: 1)I have "bald" sides, 2) I have beedeebee's at the nape of my neck and 3) I still have a lot of permed ends. I tried this style before and am very self conscious about the aforementioned problems. My hair is in pretty good condition and I'm always complimented on my staple style--braidout(I wear this to camouflage my problem areas). I would love to give my hair a rest and see the progress my hair would make if I could just wash it and put it in a bun.

Any suggestions?

Armyqt

Hi bee. First thing I would suggest is working on your problem areas. You can try massaging your spots with a mixture of castor oil mixed with a few drops of rosemary essential oil. This combo will help those areas fill in with some hair pretty quickly and then you wouldn't be so self conscious about wearing your hair back. As for the nape of your neck, the trick is to keep your hair really moisturised. You can try using S-Curl to really soften up back there and then put some ICE pomade on it to make it lay or curl up a little. It can be done. You may have to play around with a few different things to get it just right though. Good luck

Tracy

I understand the desire to do a bun to protect the ends and give your hair a rest, but I think in your situation pulling the hair back at all is not a great idea until you at least correct the issue with your edges.

I personally think your braid outs are enough of a lack of manipulation.
I think AQT's suggestions are good ones and I'm sure as far as the problem areas, you'll pick up a lot of stuff here.

How do you feel about getting a TWA? Sometimes that's the best option when you are transitioning....I have seen many sisters' feel like their lives are completely transfromed when they just let the length go and work completely with their natural texture.

NGC

I have some serious beedeebee's at my nape (think along the lines of Terminator level
). What help me resolve my "issue" with the beedeebees was using CD SOMM (Carol's Daughter Some of Margeurite's Magic) and a boar's hair brush.

Good Luck

bee

Thanks, ladies, for the advice so far. Since I've been transitioning, I use a rosemary eo/castor oil/daily doctor/surge(just added around oct/nov)spritz, daily for moisture as well as scalp massages. The nape of my neck has grown somewhat and I just remembered that my applicator bottle contains castor oil w/rosemary eo for my scalp. The times I have tried to wear my hair pulled back (once into the fake bun), I comb my hair over my sides to cover them but the beedeebee's can't be covered. I use a lot of gel to try to "smooth" that area and hate the feeling I get when washing it out(sticky/gummy).
I knew this was the right place to ask this question and I'm sure there's more advice for me on the way. BTW Tracy, I decided against the TWA early on in my transition. There was a long period in my life when my hair would not grow because of constant stress. I vowed that I would never have short hair again when my situation turned around(Thank you, Jesus!) I did do the Toni Braxton thing and the year it took for me to grow my hair out brought back a lot of bad memories.

Thanks in advance,
bee

B

ballet_bun

[quote...(I have a fake one that I made thanks to the step-by-step guide I discovered right here on this board). ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Bee,

Where did you find those instructions? Which search term did you use? I am going to be wearing a bun for the winter to keep my hair away from the "elemnts", so to speak. I'm always interested in a few new ideas or suggestions ... when you get a chance, can you post the thread, please?

Ballet Bun ...

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Welcoome Bee!

With the suggestions all the other ladies gave I just want to add that sometimes the hair needs to be trained to lay down. So if when you slick your hair down wrap a scarf or net over your hair to help it stay in place while it drys from all the products. The results from doing this are amazing. Good Luck!

Ballet Bun, I am not 100% sure but I think Bee was refering to the "How to make a bun for shorter hair" in my album.

bee

Ballet bun, I think it was DSD's album that I found the "how-to", for making the fake bun. Check it out. I love her album.

B

ballet_bun

I saw that already ... I thought you meant something else ... opps! Thanks for responding though

Ballet BUn ...

Toni

Don'tspeakdefeat
I have been doing exactly what you suggested. After my co wash/surge/lotionmotion I tie my hair back with a silk scarf and add an old cotton one on top so my head doesn't get cold. You are right the results are amazing. My hair get a nice moisture treatment at night. When I wake up in the morning I add some more oil and either do the fake afro puff or fake bun.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
[ QUOTE ]
Toni said:

Don'tspeakdefeat
I have been doing exactly what you suggested. After my co wash/surge/lotionmotion I tie my hair back with a silk scarf and add an old cotton one on top so my head doesn't get cold. You are right the results are amazing. My hair get a nice moisture treatment at night. When I wake up in the morning I add some more oil and either do the fake afro puff or fake bun.

[/ QUOTE ]
That is so wonderful to hear!