How did yall learn to flat twist/cornrow, etc?

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Fess up, how did you learn? I can't flat twist my way out of a paper bag :perplexed and I want to mix up my styles to something pretty and exciting instead of typical and boring. Can you point me in the direction of some EXCELLENT tutorials/videos? I'm begging ya please!!! :lachen:

Je Ne Sais Quoi

:lachen:

If you live close enough....I wouldn't mind showing you:grin:

Errumah, show me? That's not what I had in mind :lachen: You need to keep your skills up so i'm sure you'd just want to do it for me right? :grin: Thanks for the video by the way. She makes it looks so dern easy. I will start practicing and possibly post a pic that yall can make fun of :lachen:

AfroKink

Fess up, how did you learn? I can't flat twist my way out of a paper bag :perplexed and I want to mix up my styles to something pretty and exciting instead of typical and boring. Can you point me in the direction of some EXCELLENT tutorials/videos? I'm begging ya please!!! :lachen:

The internet. It's a great place! A few years ago I found a picture-by-picture of how to cornrow. I would cornrow my hair on a Friday night, then take it out on Saturday or Sunday. When i was first learning, my 'fresh' cornrows would look 'stale' all fuzzy and loose like they had been in or a month, I didn't want anyone to see. lol. Eventually they got good enough for me to actually wear out of the house.

Lys

Je Ne Sais Quoi

The internet. It's a great place! A few years ago I found a picture-by-picture of how to cornrow. I would cornrow my hair on a Friday night, then take it out on Saturday or Sunday. When i was first learning, my 'fresh' cornrows would look 'stale' all fuzzy and loose like they had been in or a month, I didn't want anyone to see. lol. Eventually they got good enough for me to actually wear out of the house.

Lys

That is EXACTLY how my one and only flat twist experiment went so I got discouraged :wallbash: I need to keep trying but I get so frustrated :perplexed

LongHairDreams

I can french braid but I can't cornrow. I guess its the switching direction of braiding (over hand, under hand) that gets me.:ohwell:

JustKiya

Practice, practice, practice. My first flat twists, I wouldn't leave the house with - and it took me even longer to figure out how to make them symmetrical. If you have a 3 way mirror, take advantage of it. I 'count' my moves, 1, 2, 3, 4, - that helps me make sure I'm making the same motions each time.

LongHairDreams

Errumah, show me? That's not what I had in mind :lachen: You need to keep your skills up so i'm sure you'd just want to do it for me right? :grin: Thanks for the video by the way. She makes it looks so dern easy. I will start practicing and possibly post a pic that yall can make fun of :lachen:

girl, you got me cracking up over here :lachen:. My sister makes me flat twist the top of her head and she adds a phony pony. I have to make all the twists go toward the top middle of her head. Plus, she has me add hair to the flat twists to make them more plump. Then she has the nerve to get mad at me when im not in the mood!!

discobiscuits

i taught myself. in summer camp my friend used to do her hair in two french braids daily. i would just watch her and practice till i got it right. i do all of my own braids/cornrows/twists b/c "pros" do them too tight or charge too much.

PassionFruit

I can flat twist pretty well... and I can cornrow OTHER folk's hair decently... but I cant do my OWN... I cant even give myself straight parts

I do know I work better when the hair is wet/moist

where's that cornrow tutorial?

Anancy

I practiced using this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjd29ShNw8U&feature=related

I have to say mine came out pretty good if i have to say so myself. I put pics in my Fotki.
I've still got plenty of practicing to do tho, but it is possible if you take the time to practice, and try not to get frustrated because you will get better.

After i've mastered the flat twists i will be moving onto cornrows :look:

lisajames96

That's me all day. I always thought it was because I was left- handed( I can't cornrow either). Either way I'm still hoping to learn one day. I checked out MotownGirl before and the directions didn't help. I will check it out again. Glad to see this thread.

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
Lisa I'm left handed as well and I've always thought that was the reason I could never do it. When I would french braid, it's hard to explain but they wouldn't lay flat, the braid would stick out side ways:lachen:. But Motowngirl really help me understand. The first time it took me an hour to do one freakin decent braid, but once I got the hang of it, it has gotten easier and they are lasting longer, definitely practice makes perfect.

PassionFruit

here's my sad attempt at braiding my own hair