How do I avoid braiding/weaving disasters?

AnnDriena_

Okay I've heard about many disastrous braiding and weaving tales. I had braids a long time ago and I remember I had a lot of hair come out in the shower but it didn't seem to phase my hair so I'm thinking it was the hair that would've naturally shedded and been combed and brushed away had the braids not been in. I'm going to get braids and or a weave and I expect to have a lot of excess hair coming out when I take out the braids because hair sheds everyday. I totally understand that. But what is the best thing to do before I get the braids?
I'll be getting very small cornrows so i can surge my scalp better. I'll keep them in for about a month or more If i can get away with it.

greAtness333

I would do a search, there are so many threads on this topic. One important thing I would suggest is washing your hair and doing a protein treatment a day or two before.

greAtness333

I would do a search, there are so many threads on this topic. One important thing I would suggest is washing your hair and doing a protein treatment a day or two before. And EVOO.

hOnii

yes, before braids deep condition and try and get your hair strong before the stress. you have to take care of your hair while its in braids or you'll have breakage when you take them out. wash every 2 weeks and use braid spray.

simcha

I know a lot of people love braids as a protective style but for me, the two times I had braids they shredded my hair. I have a relaxer and my hair is on the fine side.

shoelover1972

The growafrohairlong site is worth looking at as MsKibibi stated.

ITA with all the above - deep condition your hair before. Make sure that you do not have it braided too tight, keep your scalp & the length moisturised (I use Surge 14 & S-curl on my scalp & African Pride braid spray on the length). I also conditioner wash / normal wash every other day.

HTH