How do I correctly measure my hair???

atl_mulattamami

What is the correct and "official" way to measure hair. Is it when you brush your hair back and measure from the front hairline (above your forehead) to where the longest layer of your hair meets (shoulders, BSL, WL) Anyone have pictures?

Yes, that is the correct way to measure. Place the end of the tape measure at the ends of your hair and the number at your hairline will give you your measurement. Your hair is very pretty, by the way. :yep:

renee_n_3000 said:
Yes, that is the correct way to measure. Place the end of the tape measure at the ends of your hair and the number at your hairline will give you your measurement. Your hair is very pretty, by the way. :yep:

thanks! :D

I measure mine from root to the ends, i feel this is more accurate. I think hairline to ends can be deceiving..... :ohwell:

Done your way I'm 8.5". Still not bad.... :) I can almost make a pony tail on dry hair! Whoo hoo! :lol:

Natrlchallenge said:
Wow, if that it how 2 measure that means I'm at 15". :eek: :yay: Are u sure that's right?

Yes, but the key with measuring is just to be consistent. I don't measure my hair, but the way I described above appears to be the standard among members who do on different long hair care communities I have visited over the years, as well as for hairdressers who specialize in caring for long hair. The reason for that is that your hairline is always in the same place, therefore it gives you a fixed, consistent point from which to measure each time. But as other ladies in this thread have mentioned, they measure differently. Whatever way you do it, you just want to be sure that you measure from the same place each time if your reason for doing so is to track your growth.

If you choose to measure from a 'part' downward (or outward), be sure you part your hair in the exact same spot each time. If you are into comparing your hair in inches to other ladies whose hair appears to be the same length as yours, note that they are likely measuring from their hairline back and that's why their measurements will be longer than yours in terms of inches. Of course people should not worry about comparing their hair to others, though, only to their own last measurement. I just mention it because those who do so may get discouraged if they are measuring differently than others.

I refer to my hair as 'waist length' or 'just below waist,' or whatever it is at the time, and don't record the inches. When I first started visiting hair sites, I did measure the distance from my hairline to my waist once just to see if the distance was similar to other members who posted such measurements, and it was.

Last edited:
Back