How do I do the Baggie Method?

atl_mulattamami

My hair is not quite long enough for a ponytail but it is closely approaching that length. I probably need like 2-3 more inches. Anyway, how do I do the baggie method? I need step-by-step instructions. Also, how do I put the phony pony on top of it? One more question, what type of baggie do I use and how do I secure it?

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
Here's what I do:

1. Shampoo and condition as usual
  2. Pull hair back into a ponytail
  3. Saturate entire length of ponytail with moisture. (I used conditioner followed by castor oil or vaseline)
  4. Twist ponytail into a bun.
  5. Put a little oils or conditioner inside the baggie, not alot, just enough to keep your ends moist.
  6. Cover bun with the sandwich baggie - NOT the ziplock kind.
  7. Cover entire thing with a black knee hi, I just cut one down so I'm using just the foot part (this is so the baggie does not show)
  8. Put on phony pony or bun cover and secure with hair pins.
There is a pic in my album of me with my baggied bun. http://public.fotki.com/simplycee/2005_super_grow_out/jan_2005/bun_baggie.html

Adrienne and I think DSD have step by step pics in their albums. HTH

Last edited:

NewYorkgyrl

Are u ladies doing the baggie method on wet hair or dry hair? For those that do it on dry hair, do you air dry your hair in a ponytail first or do a rollerset and then do a ponytail?

I use to use this method and my hair began to break. I believe it was from doing the baggie on wet hair. I guess wet hair and oils sitting on my hair for days does not mix.

genesis

NewYorkgyrl said:
Are u ladies doing the baggie method on wet hair or dry hair? For those that do it on dry hair, do you air dry your hair in a ponytail first or do a rollerset and then do a ponytail?

I use to use this method and my hair began to break. I believe it was from doing the baggie on wet hair. I guess wet hair and oils sitting on my hair for days does not mix.

I had the same breakage problem--I used to do the baggie method on wet hair. I would put it in a ponytail, spray s-curl, and put vaseline on the ends. When I took the baggie off, I had strands everywhere. Now I put my hair in a ponytail let it airdry then I put on my moisturizer--No longer use S-Curl--Vaseline, baggie. Since I started doing this I don't experience breakage.

NewYorkgyrl

[ Now I put my hair in a ponytail let it airdry then I put on my moisturizer--No longer use S-Curl--Vaseline, baggie. Since I started doing this I don't experience breakage.[/QUOTE]

What moisturizer do you use?

genesis

NewYorkgyrl said:
[ Now I put my hair in a ponytail let it airdry then I put on my moisturizer--No longer use S-Curl--Vaseline, baggie. Since I started doing this I don't experience breakage.

What moisturizer do you use?

I use UBH Moisturizer and/or black castor oil

greenidlady1

NewYorkgyrl said:

I always use my baggie on dry hair. I air dry or roller set and then use moisture spray, oils and bag it up!