how do i wash my braids?

L

longlegz

I'm getting my hair braided tomorrow and I am wondering what is the correct way to wash braids...I've had braids in the past and when I took them down, I ended up having that little knot on the end. I'm convinced its because I used the wrong products and washed my hair with shampoo straight from the bottle...

I guess my question is: should I dillute my shampoo and condition? I remember reading on Wanakee's website that she would dunk her head in sudsy water to wash braids...

Does anyone have any ideas???

I appreciate any helpful suggestions...thanks in advance /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

adrienne0914

hey, legz!

when i washed my hair, i used my usual shampoo and conditioner. i did put them in separate bottles though and dilute 50/50 with water. also, with the shampoo, i would squirt it on and focus my washing on my scalp. letting it run down the length of the braids is usually enough to get them clean. with the conditioner i focused on my hair rather than the scalp. this was to avoid buildup.

adrienne

Fatima

When I have braid I shampoo as usually, i.e. once a week.
I use a pharmacy shampoo for dry hair (Klorane or Ducray), no dilution, and shampoo as usual. Rinse well, well, well.
I towel dry a bit, then put either olive oil, or a silicone serum on.
No conditioner.
When I take them down, I have no knots, not even the little build up at the base, and they are soft and clean.

F.

L

longlegz

Thanks adrienne and Fatima for the helpful suggestions...I'll keep the board posted on my progress. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Honey Vibe

The Good Physician
I could have used this info back when my braids were practically rotting my scalp out, and washing it made it worse! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

NubianQueen

I have been using the Crown & Glory method for the past four months. Almost every day I put some conditioner in a 16 oz bottle and fill with water. I shake it up, grab my hair into a ponytail at the top of my head and then pour it over my hair and let it drip into the tub. I follow that up with a herbal rinse in the same manner. I wrap my hair up in a towel to soak up excess water until I am done getting ready.

This method has worked really well for me. So far I have redone my braids twice and there was been very little build up. Years ago when I would do braids and completely neglect them, there would be LOTS of buildup. My hair is a lot healthier and happier because I am taking better care of it in the braids.

Whatever route you go, good luck!

Happy Hair Growing!!

NubianQueen