How do ya'll get your SHINE?

LawyerBarbie07

Hey all! I've been browsing ya'lls pictures and things and I've noticed how your hair SHINES! I think my hair is healthy (no breakage or split ends) and I do protein treatments etc., but my hair doesnt "gleam" yet.

I don't really want to try henna because my prot. style of choice is a sew in weave most of the time...so do you all have any other reccomendations on how to get a sheen/shine?

SohoHair

LawyerBarbie07 said:
Hey all! I've been browsing ya'lls pictures and things and I've noticed how your hair SHINES! I think my hair is healthy (no breakage or split ends) and I do protein treatments etc., but my hair doesnt "gleam" yet.

I don't really want to try henna because my prot. style of choice is a sew in weave most of the time...so do you all have any other reccomendations on how to get a sheen/shine?

Coconut Oil definitely. But if you ever decide to henna...:look:... the shine will also happen for you!;)

SohoHair

LawyerBarbie07 said:
Coconut oil? Very cool...I've never heard of using that before...do you think I can get it from whole foods?

You sure can. You can also get it from Indian groceries (Anmol oil).

stargazer613

LawyerBarbie07 said:
Coconut oil? Very cool...I've never heard of using that before...do you think I can get it from whole foods?

yes, Whole Foods definitely sells it. I believe most chain grocery stores (Ralphs, Vons, etc.) sell the Spectrum brand Organic Coconut Oil.

From Nature With Love has a wonderful smelling one called Virgin Coconut Cream.

The Girl

LawyerBarbie07 said:
yes they sell it, its with the other cooking oils but you can use it in your hair

LawyerBarbie07

Great! I'm sure it definitely smells better than my WGO..lol, for some reason that stuff makes my hair smell like hamhocks

I'm definitely heading to Whole Foods after my meetings this evening, off topic kinda but can you guys think of anything else I should pick up while I'm there? I'm new to the hair game...lol

KiniKakes

hmmmm, well so far folks have named oils and serums and things..... all that stuff weighs my hair down, and actually makes it dull and heavy. so i dont use anything. my hair shines when its squeaky clean and freshly rollerset rollerset, and then getting the roots blow out...... im not sure what else helps...... i DC with an avocado choleterol conditioner, and leave a touch of leave-in conditioner. thats it.

LawyerBarbie07

UMBlessedBeauty_1 said:
This is OT but I love the quote in your signature LawyerBarbie

lol...Thanks Blessed! Its one of my favorites...I keep forgetting to add my hair type/goals/etc down there so I figure the quote will have to do for now :D

ItsyBitsy

LawyerBarbie07 said:
Great! I'm sure it definitely smells better than my WGO..lol, for some reason that stuff makes my hair smell like hamhocks

I'm definitely heading to Whole Foods after my meetings this evening, off topic kinda but can you guys think of anything else I should pick up while I'm there? I'm new to the hair game...lol
Im not sure what your hair needs are, but they do sell Aubreys Organics Honeysuckle Rose & GPB. These are 2 of my favorite products :grin:

LawyerBarbie07

DIONNE31 said:
Im not sure what your hair needs are, but they do sell Aubreys Organics Honeysuckle Rose & GPB. These are 2 of my favorite products :grin:

:eek: If those thing will make my hair look like yours I'm all for it..lol. What does GPB stand for?

preciousjewel76

LawyerBarbie07 said:
:eek: If those thing will make my hair look like yours I'm all for it..lol. What does GPB stand for?

Aubrey Organics GPB=Glycogen Protein Balance (I think, LOL). It's a protein-rich conditioner.

sareca

My hair is always shiny from henna, but I've discovered avocado oil will add a little sometin' extra.

Last edited:

Dee-Licious

LocksOfLuV said:
1. Camera flash! :lol: j/k (halfway :look: ) and,

2. Serum while wet (aveda Brilliant serum).

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: Damn fool!!!

I agree on the serum while wet also. It works wayyy better than dry hair for me!!

texasgrl

When my hair became truely healthy it always has a natural shine now.(Who lied and said 4b hair doesnt shine:cool: ). But for blinding bling coconut, jojoba and castor do it even better if mixed in equal parts:D .

shunta

LocksOfLuV said:
1. Camera flash! :lol: j/k (halfway :look: ) and,

2. Serum while wet (aveda Brilliant serum).
You are right, Locks. I pm'ed a member and asked what she used to get the shine in her siggy and she said that she didnt have anything in her hair, and she attributed it to the camera flash.:look:

LocksOfLuV

shunta said:
You are right, Locks. I pm'ed a member and asked what she used to get the shine in her siggy and she said that she didnt have anything in her hair, and she attributed it to the camera flash.:look:

Ain't no shame in it! Lol:lachen: She kept it trill!

Oh and another thing, jet black rinses make my hair looks shiner too!

LawyerBarbie07

Just got back from Whole Foods and picked up some Coconut oil and some JoJoba...CLEARLY their prices are on a whole other level:)eek: ), now I remember why I go to Food Lion ;)

Can't wait to try them out though, I'm gonna wash and deep condition and then see what kinda bling I can get going with my new oils :)