How do you care for small braids (or micros)??

NewYorkgyrl

Good morning ladies..I hope you enjoyed the holiday weekend.

As I wrote in previous post, I am begninning to the Crown and Glory method. I got my braids done this past Saturday. However I made the mistake of getting them too small. They are not micros but they are pretty small and my hair is parted pretty small, definetly not the one inch the Robin suggested on the Crown and Glory website.

What is the best way to care for small braids and still achieve maximum growth. It seems like I will not be able to use the Neosporin on my scalp because it is just too much braids to go through and too much manipulation for me to be moving these braids around. Since my braids are small, there are alot of them.

Any advice you ladies can give me will be very much appreciated.

littleaudie

I don't really practice the C&G method, but I do wash my hair the recommended way. I've been wearing small box braids (almost micro) for about 3 months. I suggest that you don't overload your hair with too much oil and product. Keep your hair wrapped at night with a scarf to preserve tangles and style. Don't keep them in too long max 6weeks before you rebraid if you want to avoid lint and locking. Take your vitamins too. HHG

ibelieve

I would say the #1 piece of advice is not pulling the braids back on a consistant basis. I always experiance a lot of growth with micros but have problems when I want to wear them in high ponytails and french twist styles. I resisted the urge to pull them back AT ALL and didn't really experiance any breakage the last time I got them done. But it was really hard to wear them down all day everyday. Your edges are soooo sensitive when they are in micros.

Sonya

NewYorkgyrl

Thanks ladies. One question though how do I wash my scalp without manipulating my hair too much???

This is from the website:
Shampooing Braids & Braid Extensions

Pour streams of diluted shampoo and warm water from a large cup over your braid extensions or braids. In a large cup, Squeeze with a sponge to shampoo and rinse.

How does this get your scalp clean? Can someone explain the process in a better way?

Last edited: