How do you choke down these GIANT vitamins?

OneShinyface

I bought GNC's 1500 MSM tablets and they are HUGE! It was a struggle for me to swallow the tiny Accutane pills when I was on it, but these are out of the question. I've been crushing them with a mallet and swallowing the smaller pieces.

Maybe it's psychological, but I just can't swallow anything larger than an Aleve/Accutane-sized pill.

My hat's off to you if you can!
OneShinyface

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
How large are they? Larger than an inch? I'm gagging just thinking about it. I hope the pills I ordered from Puritan Pride aren't that big.

Perhaps you can get one of those pill choppers to cut it in half if you get tired of crushing them.

HOTCHOCOLATE

OneShinyface,

I have a problem also swallowing large tablets. Thats why I switched the larger tablets to capsules--much easier. Also, why don't you consider buying a pill crusher from your local drug store.

moni

I use to have the same problem, but I find that if I place the pills directly at the place where they go down and drink a mouthful of water really quick that they automatically go down. The other ladies made some good really good suggestions.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
similar to what Moni said...

Drink alittle water first, then hold that water in your mouth. Put your pills in, then drink a big swig of water and swallow (as if you are only drinking water with no pills)

hairfanatic

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I bought GNC's 1500 MSM tablets and they are HUGE! It was a struggle for me to swallow the tiny Accutane pills when I was on it, but these are out of the question. I've been crushing them with a mallet and swallowing the smaller pieces.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi OneShinyFace,

I have a friend that use to gag everytime she tried to take large pills, she use to break hers and blend them in a smoothie or juice.

miss_a

OSF,

This is going to sound silly--but it works for me. FInd a large cup, fill it w/ water. Put the vitamins in your mouth--and take a straw and slurp the water. SOmething about this pushes the vitamins---some force (science majors help me out!) AND it makes them go down a whole lot easier.

HTH

A.

SweetNic_JA

you can purchase the powder form of MSM. They sell it online and they sell it at The Vitamin Shoppe. I started taking MSM about 2 years ago and it was in powdered form...I can't imagine taking pill /images/graemlins/crazy.gif. I already take 9 pills per day.

adrienne0914

it's very psychological. i couldn't do it when i took them one at a time. i found that the best way for me is to do it in the morning with my protein shake. i put them all in my mouth at once and just guzzle my shake down. no fuss. no muss. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

adrienne

Jenai

With lots of water. Also, try switching to softgels. They are smoother and go down a lot easier.

HTH

SexyGyrlNY

I feel your pain, I take the GNC Ultranourishair, MSM and the womens multivitamin and they are all HUGE!Normally I put one in my mouth at a time and take a huge gulp of water down for each. I do have one question though-crushing the vitamin doesn't scratch your throat? I tried that once and it felt like every little jagged edge scratched my throat on the way down, I felt like I had a sore throat afterwards...maybe I just didn't crush the pieces small enough...

OneShinyface

Excellent idea Curly and Hotchocolate! I'm hittin up the drugstore tomorrow for a pill crusher!! I've already taken the advice to buy powdered MSM. I already take powdered Vitamin C so I can just mix the two together in my lemonade - it seems to take the edge off of the taste best.
Thanks all!!

zora

A pharmacist told me that the vitamins don't have the same effect when you crush them. He made it seem like they were useless. I would double check if I were you.

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
OneShinyFace,

I meant one of those pill chopper things. They look like a pill gulliotine. I'm going to look for one and chop mine in half. Those pills sound huge!

NAY007

I have problems with taking any kind of pills too. So I take all my vitamins once a day with food. I put all my pills next to my plate and whenever I finished chewing what I have in my mouth I pop one to two pills in my mouth, mix it up with the food and then just swallow. That works best for me.

LondonDiva

A pharmacist told me that the vitamins don't have the same effect when you crush them. He made it seem like they were useless. I would double check if I were you.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what does he think happens because they are crushed. You should still have the same vitamins in there it's only the caking agents etc that hold the pill together and make it solid.

LondonDiva

Pandora I'm lost I've missed loads of posts just for going out one evening I haven't even got through them all yet /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Integrity

No, we discussed pharmacokinetics about 8 weeks ago! I will try to bump it up for you. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

LondonDiva

Pandora said:
No, we discussed pharmacokinetics about 8 weeks ago! I will try to bump it up for you. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO /images/graemlins/grin.gif Forgive me /images/graemlins/nuts.gif