How do you know when your hair is matting underneath your weave?

PersuasiveBeauty

I'm almost sure I am being paranoid.. Because my hair has never matted before. Whether it is in a weave, braids, cornrows whatever. But... Now that I have become OBSESSED with my hair and hair growth and retention I just want to be extra careful. I washed with a sulfate free conditioner and then sealed with castor oil and coconut oil. My new growth feels slightly rough....Should I rewash with conditioner and just leave my new growth alone? And how exactly will I know if it is matting? If I can slip my fingers in between the hairs of my new growth does that mean it for sure is NOT matted?

ProtectiveStyling

Im so glad u asked this... ive had my weave in for 7 weeks now & keep forgetting to post a question like this on here. im curious and paranoid also!

ylinspired

I"ve worn sew in weaves on and off for ten years. The longest I've left a weave in was for 4 months. The best method for me was to make sure my new growth stayed moisturizer, and when I would take them down I would use several conditions to detangle mostly cream of nature detangle condition and nexus humec and a lot of water on each section, that was in my relaxer days. This would also detangle knots and loosen matted hair. Now that I've been natural all I use is mane and tail detangle with water, and a big tooth wire comb, or big tooth plastic comb. It was scary for me too at first as my hair started growing longer, I'm new to the forum, but I've been using this method for years. I hope this help, but there is no true way to tell if your hair is matting until you take it out.

ms.blue

I keep my sew-in for 3 months max but average is 2 months. IA w/ the above poster to keep your hair moisturized, that will help to prevent matting. Also your take down process has to be carefully done to insure that your hair doesn't tangle.