Frequent Co-Washing In A Weave

PraisedBeauty

Weaves are my protective style of choice. I've recently fallen in love with co washing, and I like to co wash probably say two times a week, three times if I have the time. When I got my weave done, I was two months post relaxer. It has now been a month since I have had this weave in. I know my new growth is not matting. But will my hair that is corn rowed become matted? Basically what I am asking is.... Will my relaxed hair and new growth that I had before I got the weave done, that is in cornrows, become matted as a result of the frequent washing?

Also I wanted more input... Do you ladies feel co washing increases hair growth or just aids in retention. Some feel that it just aids in retention because it increases moisture, which could very well be true... And some feel that it aids in hair growth as well because it allows for a clean scalp so your pores are opened...Allowing more growth. Opinions please ladies? How do you feel? I feel like my hair grows faster when I co wash frequently. :look: Not because of the retention. But my new growth that sprouts from underneath my cornrows when I am in my weave seems to come at a much faster rate.

phyl73

I've not had matting issues, but it does take a while to carefully take it down. I co-wash with my full sew in about 3 or more times a week. I tried to go for longer periods of time, but my scalp felt very dry when I did that. When my hair is in a sew in, I have to keep it damp underneath the weave, but when it's out it does better straightened. I've not noticed as many hair coming out when my hair is dry versus wet. Yesterday I made a spritz of conditioner(suave) and water until it was very runny then spritzed my hair underneath the weave. I hope this helps in moisturizing my hair.

Roux

It can happen with some people with shed hairs and two textures. when I was in a weave during my transition when I took down my install after 5 weeks my braids were about to matt. but that is any sort of frequent washing in a weave for me.

Rina88

I still have some relaxed ends and matting was no issue. I was co-washing everyday the first week, then for the last 4 weeks every other day to every 3 days. The growth was crazy :yep: BUT hair was drier than a bone! I would moisturize as well but maybe it was too much for me. The last 2 weeks since my weave removal my hair felt rough and dry even wet (like wet wood broom bristles) - that's crazy :nono:. Now it's happy with me again so no worries. :)

Matting shouldn't be a problem under 6 weeks for most folks, remember to you soak your hair in something like Infusium 23, Oil, DC or w/e BEFORE takedown and it should be a breeze even if there is some matting/tangling.

Sidenote: Reading in Lady paniolo deep moisture thread it was advised to forgo frequent washing (more than 1x/wk) and moisturizing daily in braids because of the cuticle being raised and closed often may cause dryness from the hair rubbing against itself. But to instead try witch hazel or sea breeze on a cotton ball for cleansing scalp, and moisturize once every couple of days or even just weekly after wash day. Just a thought.

phyl73

are either of you two @phyl73 and @growinghealthyhair dealing with two different textures? that's what I am worried about specifically.

No, I'm fully natural, but I did use sew-ins when I transitioned. I didn't have any problems then either. I have some pictures of my hair while transitioning after I took out a full sew-in. They are in my fokti.

eowens

I just installed indique coil curl thinking about co washing every other day worked for wigging challenge