How do you make your own hair pieces?

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL
My buns and ponytails aren't thick as I want them to be. Since I don't like the way drawstring ponytails look in my hair, I bought a pack of hair and some of those tiny push combs. I want to sew and/or glue them onto the push combs.

Does anyone have photos or special techniques they can share?

Thanks Ladies!!!

I still wear a phony pony, for the nights I go out and do somethin special and dont want to press my hair and be worried about boof all night

I take a weft of hair (the kind you weave) and wrap it around and around and around my pony tail. I put my own hair in little braids in the pony tail before putting it on, to avoid bulk. and I'm good to go.

here are some phony pony pics. Ive got it down to a T, and it matches my hair totally. I CW the hair and braid it , put curlers on the ends, let it dry and take it out and its wavy like my hair.

http://public.fotki.com/IRRISISTABLBTCH/2005/night_out/

http://public.fotki.com/IRRISISTABLBTCH/2004/phony_pony/

oops edited to add password
PreciousTresses

Wow that is really nice....I assumed it was all you. How are you keeping the weft around your ponytail...pins??

Thank you,

No girl, its a long weft....so its wrapped and wrapped and wrapped around. so its not going anywhere lol. then i tuck the last part under a little , then secure with a scrunchie. I think someone could actually pull it and it wouldnt budge lol

senimoni said:
Wow that is really nice....I assumed it was all you. How are you keeping the weft around your ponytail...pins??

Okay ...but that sounds like your ponytail would be really thick...I'm still imagining mine slipping off. Thats the one thing I hate about fake hair is my paranoia when I have it in. I have yet to do my bun out of the house for the same reason.

It is thick....your right about that. but still natural looking. I just really really appreciate the no worry about boof aspect of it. I can just go out and not even think twice about my hair. I guess cause my own hair is somewhat thick it feels ok to me. I cant wear my own hair (like in the pic below) out and down without worrying about how big it will get throughout the night lol. Its just a good option for me to be able to wear my hair(or the hair lol) out and with no worries, no pressing...nothing. simple and easy.

But this is wrapped around so much and so tightly it aint goin nowhere and there is no bulk from my hair cause its in three-four little braids in the ponytail underneath
senimoni said:
Okay ...but that sounds like your ponytail would be really thick...I'm still imagining mine slipping off. Thats the one thing I hate about fake hair is my paranoia when I have it in. I have yet to do my bun out of the house for the same reason.

Irresistible, what kind of hair are you using? I have fine, 3b hair. I would like a subtle, slightly wavy or curly ponytail. I have already bought two phony ponies I won't be able to use because they are just too long and thick and they look crazy. I'm thinking some weft hair wrapped around once or twice and pinned in may do the trick?

Im not sure what type or the name, I only know its straight human hair , that I cw and braid up and let dry to get subtle waves in it. and put sponge rollers on the ends. when i take the braids and curlers out and put it on, it matches my hair totally.

I'm thinking you would definitely have to wrap around more than once or twice though. thats very little hair. You can always cut the weft to the amount of hair you want

PatTodd said:
Irresistible, what kind of hair are you using? I have fine, 3b hair. I would like a subtle, slightly wavy or curly ponytail. I have already bought two phony ponies I won't be able to use because they are just too long and thick and they look crazy. I'm thinking some weft hair wrapped around once or twice and pinned in may do the trick?

Last edited:
Back