How do you prevent breakage

AnnDriena_

cocoberry10 had a good question in another thread. I have the similiar problem. Except without the knots:

Hello Ladies. I am new to this forum. I have really enjoyed all the advice and recipes so far! I have a relaxer, and retouch between every 9-14 weeks (I try to wait as long as possible). I have been using Cathy Howse's program since July. I have a question about preventing breakage.

When I allow my hair to airdry, it can get pretty tangled up, and there are sometimes little balls of hair (very small) at the bottom of my hair that come out when I pull them. However, when I use a blowdryer (which I hate), I have less breakage, but I do have the small "sailor knots" that come down at the bottom of my hair. I know I am damaging my hair using a blowdryer, so I want to stop using heat. Can someone please give me advice about how to prevent breakage? Thanks.

When you air dry your hair, how are you letting it dry? I find that if I just let it air dry and hang down my back… my hair draws up to much and produces nothing but tangles.

Another solution may be to pull it back after detangling into one or two wet pony tails, comb through it again and smooth down the length with a light oil, gloss or serum. I have fine hair and this helps a lot with breakage and that puffy air dried feeling.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world
--Unknown

thattvgirl said:
When you air dry your hair, how are you letting it dry? I find that if I just let it air dry and hang down my back… my hair draws up to much and produces nothing but tangles.

Another solution may be to pull it back after detangling into one or two wet pony tails, comb through it again and smooth down the length with a light oil, gloss or serum. I have fine hair and this helps a lot with breakage and that puffy air dried feeling.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world
--Unknown
that is exactly how I do after I wash thattvgirl, my hair is very fine and I part down the middle and moisturize very well and put my hair into two ponytails and comb very gently. then I twist them up and bobby pin then into knots and tie my silk scarf on. By the morning they are mostly dry and I go over quickly with a blow dryer to dry the middle if its still moist.

AnnDriena,
after you wash your hair (see DangerouslyShy technique), add your moisturisers/leave-ins to damp hair, then gently brush the length of your hair starting from the ends with a paddle brush (Crown & Glory). Denman 84 is a great paddle brush, when you brush your hair it polishes the hair as well! It is so gentle, after a while you will notice that it collects a minimum amount of hair if any. You can also use it on dry hair.

Afterwards secure your hair in loose twists or braids, and tie your hair in a silk type scarf. Silk is incredibly expensive but any silk-like scarf will do providing it does not contain cotton.

This is the routine I follow combined with mid-week CW's and have noticed my hair has hardly any breakage only occasional shedding. My ends are continually getting thicker & healthier. Good Luck.

MeechUK

Tami said:
that is exactly how I do after I wash thattvgirl, my hair is very fine and I part down the middle and moisturize very well and put my hair into two ponytails and comb very gently. then I twist them up and bobby pin then into knots and tie my silk scarf on.

That has been the way I've been doing my "double buns" for work. I just leave my hair up like that. Everyone is like "Wow that is so cute, but I don't have the time or patience to even try that." :rofl:

Back