How do you resist the urge to cut? relaxed and naturals

Whimsy

I'm transitioning back to natural, currently 5ish months post-relaxer. My hair is beginning to snap off at the line of demarcation a little bit. Last night in the shower, detangling was hell and I was considering chopping to a cute lil chin length bob just so I wouldn't have to deal with all the knots and ish.
After I was out of the shower braiding my hair up, I talked myself out of the cut and decided to just go through with my year long transition as planned.

I'm nervous that one day I'll just get fed up and BC like I did last time I transitioned. What do u do to resist the urge to cut??

I look at pics of where I am then I visualize where I want to be (lengthwise) and the urge to cut leaves me very quickly. :yep:

I think about my ultimate length goals --plus every time I read about someone moaning about their stylist cutting off 3 inches-:badidea:- I think claim it first and then worry about style.

I think that's a hard question to ask, esp. as a transitioner - you KNOW you are going to cut out the perm off eventually, so it's even harder to resist the temptation to just cut it all out now, and be DONE with it.

I transitioned in braids. It was the ONLY way (for me) to not end up with a shaved head, as I knew I didn't have the patience to deal with the demarcation line & two different textures for a whole YEAR. I did 6 braiding sessions, left them in for 2 months each time, and trimmed an inch off each time I took the braids down, and after I took the last set down, I had a nice lil fro to work with.

Good luck resisting the siren call of the scissors!

I don't if I want to cut I cut. It slows down my progress but I just can't take it. I just allow myself to dust it, no major trims or anything. I just do 1/8 of an inch and keep moving.

Thanks ladies.
Nappywomyn you're right, the transition makes me feel like, what the hell lemme just cut right now.... (just like my last transition!)

I'm going to try to do twists or something to keep away from temptation.....until it's long enough to donate. My new thing is, no point in cutting this time if it's not long enough to give away. So that'll keep me away from the scissors for at least a few more months :yawn:

I just wear protective styles and think
about how HOT I'm gonna be with BSL
hair :grin: I have no earthly of doing
any kind of mini-chops or big-chops
until I reach my desired length.
So far, so good.

You can schedule cuts on full moons. That way if u get an urge to cut, and its not on a full moon, you can talk yourself out of it by the time the next full moon comes around.lol I think this is basically how this technique works.hth

Can I ask who you are donating to? Most major places will not take chemically treated hair.....

I donated in 05 to either wigs for kids or locks of love. i had 10 inches to give and one of them took 10 minimum the other took 12 minimum.

They accept chemically treated hair, as does the american cancer society.

This time I'll donate to the same place, whichever accepts the 10 inch minimum.

Back