How Do You Take Care Of Your Roots While Stretching Your Relaxer!

Deep conditioning with Pantene mask for relaxed and natural hair helps my hair stay soft and detangled
Prepoo with amla oil
Shampooing with CON

I read a few posts on the pantene mask for relaxed and natural hair that it is supposed to be pretty good. I didn't know it could help with stretches though.
Thanks for sharing.

And thanks to all the ladies who helped me out with other suggestions.

Last edited:
Although I'm only 6 weeks post, I've got more than 1 inch of NG, and I don't want to relax until February. I'm using coconut milk/lime juice prepoos and henna to help relax my NG and strengthen my hair so it doesn't break. I'm also using the Pantene R/N mask gymfreak has been raving about! :grin:

Although I'm only 6 weeks post, I've got more than 1 inch of NG, and I don't want to relax until February. I'm using coconut milk/lime juice prepoos and henna to help relax my NG and strengthen my hair so it doesn't break. I'm also using the Pantene R/N mask gymfreak has been raving about! :grin:

How do you make the coconut milk and lime juice prepoos?
I'll look for the Pantene r/n mask. Are the ingredients okay for our hair too?

This thread has some great suggestions! Im gonna need them because I normally stretch 12 weeks but this time its going to be about 5 months between texlaxes. Im 9 weeks post now and dont plan to relax until March. I thought about texlaxing at 11 weeks at the end of December, but my hair seems fine like it doesnt need it (although I have plenty of new growth bc I have noticable dark roots since my last henna treatment a month ago). I dont want to relax just to relax if my hair is behaving without it. So I just plan to wait until March which will be right before my wedding since I will want a fresh one for that.

Two Words for me
1. Carol's 2. Daughter

Carol's Daughter Hair Milk and Hair Balm has been the savior for my new growth. I use this when the new growth is too much to handle. A little bit goes a long long way. I only use for new growth so I have had my Saturday Morning Special set all year with still alot left. Well worth the money.

You could get all the ingredients and make your own simular product.

Hair Milk http://www.carolsdaughter.com/prodinfo.asp?number=03-2008&dept=1015

Water, Soy Bean Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Vegtable Emulsifying Wax, Cocoa Butter, Shea Butter, Apricot Kernel Oil, Beeswax, EO of Lemongrass, Fragrance, Jojoba oil, Wheatgerm Oil, Vitamin C, Xanthan Gum, Sodium bicarbonate, Phenoxyethanol, Tetradibutyl Pentaerithrityl Hydroxhydroxycinnamate, Paraben-free, No petroleum, mineral oil or artifical colors.

Hair Balm http://www.carolsdaughter.com/prodinfo.asp?number=03-2008&dept=1041

Soy oil, coconut oil, sweet almond oil, cocoa butter, beeswax, coconut oil, shea butter, fragrance toasted palm kernel oil, and wheatgerm oil. Contains no petroleum or mineral oil.

I make my own version of the hair elixer.
Whipped Shea Butter is amazing on new growth too.

HTH:drunk:

Two Words for me
1. Carol's 2. Daughter

Carol's Daughter Hair Milk and Hair Balm has been the savior for my new growth. I use this when the new growth is too much to handle. A little bit goes a long long way. I only use for new growth so I have had my Saturday Morning Special set all year with still alot left. Well worth the money.

You could get all the ingredients and make your own simular product.

Hair Milk http://www.carolsdaughter.com/prodinfo.asp?number=03-2008&dept=1015

Water, Soy Bean Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Vegtable Emulsifying Wax, Cocoa Butter, Shea Butter, Apricot Kernel Oil, Beeswax, EO of Lemongrass, Fragrance, Jojoba oil, Wheatgerm Oil, Vitamin C, Xanthan Gum, Sodium bicarbonate, Phenoxyethanol, Tetradibutyl Pentaerithrityl Hydroxhydroxycinnamate, Paraben-free, No petroleum, mineral oil or artifical colors.

Hair Balm http://www.carolsdaughter.com/prodinfo.asp?number=03-2008&dept=1041

Soy oil, coconut oil, sweet almond oil, cocoa butter, beeswax, coconut oil, shea butter, fragrance toasted palm kernel oil, and wheatgerm oil. Contains no petroleum or mineral oil.

I make my own version of the hair elixer.
Whipped Shea Butter is amazing on new growth too.

HTH:drunk:

Hmmm, Carol's Daughter seem like a good stretcher product too, ie. the ingredients. It's a little expensive for me right now though. When my finances get better I might want to try the hair milk.

This thread has some great suggestions! Im gonna need them because I normally stretch 12 weeks but this time its going to be about 5 months between texlaxes. Im 9 weeks post now and dont plan to relax until March. I thought about texlaxing at 11 weeks at the end of December, but my hair seems fine like it doesnt need it (although I have plenty of new growth bc I have noticable dark roots since my last henna treatment a month ago). I dont want to relax just to relax if my hair is behaving without it. So I just plan to wait until March which will be right before my wedding since I will want a fresh one for that.

Hi Leslie C, when I find a thread that I think I'll need to refer to later, I save them in a favorite's folder with LHCF STUFF in it for easy access. Maybe you could do that too if you haven't done it yet.

How do you make the coconut milk and lime juice prepoos?
I'll look for the Pantene r/n mask. Are the ingredients okay for our hair too?

Here's the thread I read on the coconut milk/lime mixture: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=12363&highlight=coconut+milk

I add an avocado to the mixture and sometimes will sleep in it. I've only done it twice, so I'll have to keep you posted as I stretch to February.

The Pantene r/n mask is supposedly made for our hair.

I CW frequently and keep the new growth moisturized.:yep:

I've been stretching for 47-62 weeks for as long as I can remember. I just switched to 17 weeks this month. To keep NG soft and strong I fortify my moisturizing conditioners with with SAA, wheat or oat protein, or collagen and oil rinses or co-washes frequently. Also DC dry hair with heat for at least 30 minutes helps a bunch.

I've been stretching for 47-62 weeks for as long as I can remember. I just switched to 17 weeks this month. To keep NG soft and strong I fortify my moisturizing conditioners with with SAA, wheat or oat protein, or collagen and oil rinses or co-washes frequently. Also DC dry hair with heat for at least 30 minutes helps a bunch.

OOOh Sareca, I just ordered my SAA and can't wait for it to arrive so I can start putting it in some of my conditioners. Thanks for your earlier thread on this which I forgot all about.

Understood, I actually saved to get it and trust me I use it very sparingly.

But why do you check out serecas red palm cream. I think she sells it too. I am going to try it. Here is the link to her fotki: I think other people on this forum use it too. I hope she doesnt mind me doing this.
http://public.fotki.com/Serica/hair-to-stay/regime/10014223.html

Hmmm, Carol's Daughter seem like a good stretcher product too, ie. the ingredients. It's a little expensive for me right now though. When my finances get better I might want to try the hair milk.

my suggestions-

step up protein - look for products, you can use weekly like sareca suggested wheat, silk, oat etc, for me biweekly amla and brahmi rinse is my best. A stronger protein monthly.
biweekly deep conditioning to keep newgrowth soft.
low mani - only comb on wash days twice a week.
tie satin scalf after wash lay new flat
moisturise daily, ends twice a day- my moisturiser - elasta qp oil recovery.
HTH

Man, that's a tough one. I usually do not stretch because my hair starts shedding and breaking. But since I started using Joico, I've been able to get my roots straighter and my new growth is a lot softer and easier to manage.

Maybe its the products you use. My hair is in such good condition right now (relaxed and new growth) I may stretch until mid January. That would be 4 months post touch up when I was supposed to touch up 2 weeks ago (3 months post touch up.

I think its all about managing the new growth so that it doesn't affect the rest of the hair.

This is a great post!! I recently began stretching my relaxer mainly because I don't want to mess with it right now while I'm still getting my routine down. I will definitely see about that glycerin, leave-in conditioner, H20 mix. I must admit though my new growth is fairly soft from washing 2x a week and DCing every wash plus my honey glycerin conditioner pre-poo have been pretty good too...hmm maybe I'll just leave it alone for now...already trying to find a new moisturizing no protein shampoo that doesn't leave build-up is hard enough....but still this is a great post! :yep:

I CW frequently and keep the new growth moisturized.:yep:

I have also increased my washes from once/week to twice. I tried CWing but it makes my scalp itch, so instead I wash with diluted poo and condition. The extra moisture is just what my NG needs.

GREAT THREAD!!!

I protect mine with low manipulation Leave ins, Mega Growth Oil by Profectiv, and Omega 3's.

Jamila 75 and Elaine07, you both have nice hair. My hair was in trouble when I started this thread. I needed help desperately and I want to thank all the ladies who chimed in and gave us ideas on what has helped to prolong their stretches.

If there are anyone else wih more ideas, please feel free to post what's working for you as some methods may work for one person but not for another. Thanks.

Jamila 75 and Elaine07, you both have nice hair. My hair was in trouble when I started this thread. I needed help desperately and I want to thank all the ladies who chimed in and gave us ideas on what has helped to prolong their stretches.

If there are anyone else wih more ideas, please feel free to post what's working for you as some methods may work for one person but not for another. Thanks.

Thank you Aggie! Have you tried s-curl? It instantly softens the NG and best of all it's cheap! I squirt it on my line of demarcation every day (when I'm wearing a french roll or pulling my hair back with a scarf or headband). :yep:

Yeah i take care of my roots while stretching I am now in week 16 of my stretch, i'd like to perm around spring or whenever it starts to get warm. My roots get care with the conditioners and leave ins I use.I don't oil because I do'ntwant my hair weighed down and greasy looking. so far so good.

with my stretch since the hair is fragile i had to stop rollersetting and had to go back to blowdrying which i prefer anyway because it's less time consuming anyway and doesn't break my hair off while stretching like the rollersets have been doing..

Thank you Aggie! Have you tried s-curl? It instantly softens the NG and best of all it's cheap! I squirt it on my line of demarcation every day (when I'm wearing a french roll or pulling my hair back with a scarf or headband). :yep:

Hey Jamila75, my sister has a huge bottle of s-curl, I think I'll sneak some of hers.

Bumping for more replies and to help others who are struggling with their relaxer stretching.

Back